Why does Samsung use wifi to call and how to switch it off?

Hellick

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, wifi calling is not set up on my phone.
I have unlocked att s7 used in T-Mobile.
And when I'm connected to WiFi it uses it for regular phone calls.
Generally it would be OK, but I have two issues with it:
a) when I am connected to a relatively crappy internet (like Starbucks, or far from router) the call quality is poor
b) when I go out of the range of the wifi I was connected to in the beginning of the call, it (the call) disconnects.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Open the phone app and check settings... or go into the Settings area and search for WiFi Calling. You can toggle it there. You have three options : 1) use WFC always, 2) Use WFC when the cell connection is poor, 3) Disable

As for the disconnect issue, that SHOULD be handled by the telephony stack... the wifi-mobile handoff is something they are all working on, but it might not be 100% reliable for everyone.

Hellick

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Let me correct myself a little bit: I cannot setup wifi calling in order to access those settings. T-Mobile WFC comes only on T-Mobile devices and I was not able to install it on mine, and att wifi calling (the preinstalled one, the one it tries to access, when I press "wifi calling" in settings) cannot be setup because I'm not in att network anymore... And since WFC is not setup, I am not entirely sure WFC is what's happening...

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
OH!! my bad...sorry about that.

WiFi calling is pretty specific to the carrier on many phones. If you have an AT&T S7, it may very well be that it is not compatible with T-Mobile's system. Do you get a persistent notification that calls are being made over WiFi?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke