My battery life is rubbish?

anon(5518418)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I got an S7 yesterday, I set up some apps yesterday and it had its first full charge last night. After being of the charger 5 hours battery was at 50%, thats with 45 mins screen on time, so at that rate It'll be dead in 10 hours with 1.5 hours screen on time.

I wasn't even at work today so wasn't really using the phone, it was just sitting there. I could see battery dropping just looking at the always on display, 30 mins off the charger it was at 94% for example and thats with me not even touching it. Android system was the biggest drain at 20% followed by screen at 15% so no rouge apps running wild.

You could say its a new phone and needs a few cycles etc but I never had this issue with my Nexus 5X or Huawei P9 Lite. The P9 Lite for example also has a 3000 mAh battery and I can make it last 2 days, the S7 at this rate wouldn't make it to 5pm on 1 work day.

What could be going on?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How was your cell signal?

In general, it would help to see your battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. For the first 3 cycles, fully charge the battery, then don't charge it until the phone warns you to. After that, try to never let it discharge below 40%.

2. "Am I getting the battery life I should?" isn't a question that can be answered - there are too many variables. 6% battery use for 30 minutes of screen may be normal, or it may be a bit high. How much light color is there on the screen? (Samsung screens use more power to display lighter colors.) That's just one reason the question can't be answered - there are more.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine off the charger since 3:30am est. It's now 5pm and I still have 69%.
I get similar battery performance on my S7 when I'm at work, where I'm usually sitting at my desk with my phone resting next to my keyboard. I think the doze feature is really helping in that situation.

mrcrusha829

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
It could be Oculus as someone mentioned but to find out you can install GSAM Battery and Wakelock Detector to find out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC