S7 Battery at 54% in less than four hours

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I need some help with my S7. There have been some good days but far too many bad days. The battery just doesn't last. I have WiFi and Sync on, all other location services and mobile data off, screen brightness reduced and today has been fairly light use, but in less than four hours the phone is down to 53% (now, 54% when I started this post). When I check the battery page, Android system is eating 41%, Google Services is at 21%, Android OS is at 9% and Screen is at 9%. This has been a recurring issue with this phone. Since I can't pinpoint an app that is draining the battery, what can I do? Now at 52% in a matter of minutes with the phone mostly idle (typing this on a regular PC). Any ideas?

You mentioned it already but, my first suggestion would be to check if any Apps are eating your battery. You have also ticked all the other boxes i would have suggested. The last thing i can think of is simply to re-load the OS and see it that helps. :)

1naturalace

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
The same thing is happening to my phone. I uninstalled all the oculus and gear vr related apps but was still draining. I restarted my phone and all the apps came back! I'm uninstalling them again and hopefully that'll make a difference. I'm at 60% after only 1 hr of use and I only have 2 hrs left smh.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I did AT&T system upgrade day or 2 ago.
Before that upgrade everything was good. After upgrade my phone died in 4 hours with screen turned off.
I also recently did the AT&T update and I didn't see any detrimental effect on battery life. Yesterday I was able to go 11 hours and had 54% power left, with Samsung estimating another 10 hrs of power to go.

dcraig56

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Had exact same issue with my S7 Edge. Make sure Oculus and Gear VR are both deleted. Deleting just Oculus apps did not solve the problem.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Had exact same issue with my S7 Edge. Make sure Oculus and Gear VR are both deleted. Deleting just Oculus apps did not solve the problem.

Yep, I second this. There's one Gear VR app you cannot uninstall (I think that's the one to detect when the Gear VR is connected to the device to facilitate the installation of software). Otherwise though, delete every single app that mentions Gear VR or Oculus.

1naturalace

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Finally got it all uninstalled and cleared my cache and not my battery life is soooo much better. Even better than before the oculus fiasco. :)

Yardstick

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
The full factory reset didn't cure my problem entirely. The Oculus junk should be as gone as it can be and all of the gear services have been stopped as best as they can. Android System is still 45% of the battery use and three hours off the charger the phone is down to 85% battery left with relatively low use.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
For those of you having this issue because of Oculus/Gear VR installations, and who can't ununstall all the stuff in thsoe categories, grab either EZ Package Disabler or Package Disablker Pro from the Play Store. I prefer EZ Package Disabler. Either will allow you to block apps you can't otherwise uninstall or disable.

Tylr_r

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I want to know that as well. I hate how there isn't any good/accurate monitoring system on battery, CPU, and specific processes going on in android. I uninstalled oculus and now my phone lasts all day and runs cool.

dcraig56

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled all Gear VR and Oculus apps this morning and all issues went away. Just checked my apps this afternoon and all the Gear VR and Oculus apps back on list as if they all were re downloaded on their own. Hopefully this doesn't bring back the original problem.

cykodelik_75

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
My question about this is why does it not show that Oculus is causing the issue? Instead it just says Android Sys?

If you go to settings and then application manager, click on oculus home (or might be oculus rooms) , it'll show you how much battery that app has used. If you click on that battery info, it'll open a more detailed screen and it lists the app as an Android sys app. So I think that's the reason why the main battery screen doesn't show it as oculus being the battery drain and just lists Android Sys as the issue.

Yardstick

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
On for 9h 10m and the battery sits at 38%. Some huge draws early in the day (no Oculus on my phone now). Currently Android System is showing as 25% of the use, Google Play Services is at 17% and Android OS is at 12%. At this point the phone is estimating it won't last much past 7 p.m. My two year old Moto X did better than this thing and I only replaced that phone because I could tell the battery wasn't lasting as long as it used to. The S7 is much worse so far. Hating this phone.

Yardstick

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I posted this in another thread, but wanted to update here as well:

I'm cautiously optimistic about Verizon's fix for my phone. It had a fast battery drain with Oculus uninstalled and even from a factory data reset. Either Samsung or Verizon (or some collaboration of the two) have a piece of software for upgrading and 'repairing' the phone. The repair part of the program backs up the phone and does something that is apparently more in-depth than a standard factory data reset. I'm at ~11hrs on the phone now with moderate use (calls, Bluetooth to my vehicle for navigation, some spotty coverage and a little web time) and the battery is at 51% left. The estimated remaining usage time is another 11 hrs. I was lucky to get 12 hours total before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37