samsung pay

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Just got my s7 yesterday. Got Samsung pay all set up. Haven't used it yet. How do I know who takes it and who doesnt??

that's the cool part of Samsung pay.. pretty much any payment terminal that allows swiping credit cards!

Checkout YouTube videos related to it..

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
As long as your bank cards are supported, any 'swipe' terminal should take Samsung Pay. HOWEVER, some stores have been doing some changes to their systems and it might make Samsung Pay. For instance, Lowes and Home Depots have all started to 'upgrade' their terminals so that if you want to pay with a credit card, it'll ask for a chip insertion. Since Samsung Pay can only emulate the magnetic strip of your card, SP is not accepted there not because SP is not supported, but because they are specifically requiring a chip for credit card transactions. Debit card ones, however, still support 'card swipe'.

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
As long as your bank cards are supported, any 'swipe' terminal should take Samsung Pay. HOWEVER, some stores have been doing some changes to their systems and it might make Samsung Pay. For instance, Lowes and Home Depots have all started to 'upgrade' their terminals so that if you want to pay with a credit card, it'll ask for a chip insertion. Since Samsung Pay can only emulate the magnetic strip of your card, SP is not accepted there not because SP is not supported, but because they are specifically requiring a chip for credit card transactions. Debit card ones, however, still support 'card swipe'.

So anywhere that asks me to insert my debit card it wont work?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So anywhere that asks me to insert my debit card it wont work?

Anywhere it asks for a chip or anywhere you need to insert the card (like at gas pumps or ATMs) will not work (the sensor in those terminals is just too encased to be reached by the MST transmitter in your phone). If it's a 'swipe your card' terminal or NFC-enabled (you will see those with Android Pay/Apple Pay logos) it should work.

Another problem you're likely to run into is that a lot of places don't have their card terminals accessible (i.e. behind the counter, embedded in their computer screens on the cashier's side, etc.). Unless you want to hand over your phone for an employee to try it out or they let you reach behind the counter to tap the phone to their readers, that's also a no-no for Samsung Pay (or any contact-based payment system).

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Also, I found out that sometimes it plainly doesn't work with swipe terminals and that's the embarrassing part...just sitting there holding up the line because it doesn't work.

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Pay transmits a signal to the issuing bank/terminal saying it is a non-chipped card, and the transaction is processed accordingly. It's hard to believe that stores would be dumb enough to force people to use chipped cards, cards that hundreds of thousands of people do not have. Plus, there are thousands and thousands of non-chip terminals and the merchants with them are not about to pay higher monthly fees and the cost of a new terminal. With few exceptions, if you can swipe your card you can use Samsung Pay.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Also, I found out that sometimes it plainly doesn't work with swipe terminals and that's the embarrassing part...just sitting there holding up the line because it doesn't work.

In my experience it always works... it's the end user that doesn't. It prompts different stuff on the cashier's side and if they're not expecting it (because they don't see you actually swipe a card), the terminal is just waiting for input and eventually times out.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Pay transmits a signal to the issuing bank/terminal saying it is a non-chipped card, and the transaction is processed accordingly. It's hard to believe that stores would be dumb enough to force people to use chipped cards, cards that hundreds of thousands of people do not have. Plus, there are thousands and thousands of non-chip terminals and the merchants with them are not about to pay higher monthly fees and the cost of a new terminal. With few exceptions, if you can swipe your card you can use Samsung Pay.

Yet the system implemented at Lowe's and Home Depot (not yet fully deployed, so YMMV) checks for credit VS Debit. For credit, it will ask for chip, period. No longer will it accept swipe-only cards. For debit, however, they're still accepting swipes. Again, this is THEIR SYSTEM enforcing the chip for credit cards, not Samsung Pay or the card itself.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It depends on your region and specific stores. Like I said, I know that it won't work on Lowe's and Home Depot for credit cards because of their chip enforcement, but it will depend if said stores in your region have been 'updated' to their new payment systems or not. Debit cards, however, should still work there.

I've been to Carl's Jr. and in one it goes through without issues (because the cashier follows the prompts) and another location, same 'brand', and now it 'doesn't' because I need to remind the cashier to look at their screens and follow the prompts as I tap my phone on the reader.

Like we've said: if there's a swipe terminal available, try it. It should work, but since this involves some work on the cashier's side sometimes, it might not. Up to you to try to reason with them or just give up and take out your physical card.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Yet the system implemented at Lowe's and Home Depot (not yet fully deployed, so YMMV) checks for credit VS Debit. For credit, it will ask for chip, period. No longer will it accept swipe-only cards. For debit, however, they're still accepting swipes. Again, this is THEIR SYSTEM enforcing the chip for credit cards, not Samsung Pay or the card itself.
Based on what you are saying, if my bank hasn't adopted or sent out chip cards yet, then I can't shop at these places since I use credit and don't have a chip card.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine has been working everywhere I've used it. In the last couple of weeks it has stopped working at Lowe's. Well it worked once and stop working after that. My small town's bank debit card doesn't work. I dis-like using the chip procedure. It takes entirely too long. Can you imagine how slow lines would move if everyone had to use a chipped card.

coldfilter

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Mine works almost everywhere ! The only places it doesn't work is in places with older terminals. Even all the restaurants where they have handheld card readers Samsung pay works
Install and enjoy it saves me a lot of hassle especially when I am on my bike and want to stop off for lunch

Anywhere it asks for a chip or anywhere you need to insert the card (like at gas pumps or ATMs) will not work (the sensor in those terminals is just too encased to be reached by the MST transmitter in your phone). If it's a 'swipe your card' terminal or NFC-enabled (you will see those with Android Pay/Apple Pay logos) it should work.

Another problem you're likely to run into is that a lot of places don't have their card terminals accessible (i.e. behind the counter, embedded in their computer screens on the cashier's side, etc.). Unless you want to hand over your phone for an employee to try it out or they let you reach behind the counter to tap the phone to their readers, that's also a no-no for Samsung Pay (or any contact-based payment system).

Most new ATMS where I am are contact less so it does work ditto with the chip and pin terminals

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Based on what you are saying, if my bank hasn't adopted or sent out chip cards yet, then I can't shop at these places since I use credit and don't have a chip card.

Correct. And that sucks for a lot of people and only makes me question their move. But yeah, on stores that have been 'updated', you can't pay with a credit card unless it has a chip to go with it. Only debit will still accept swipe.

Mine has been working everywhere I've used it. In the last couple of weeks it has stopped working at Lowe's. Well it worked once and stop working after that. My small town's bank debit card doesn't work. I dis-like using the chip procedure. It takes entirely too long. Can you imagine how slow lines would move if everyone had to use a chipped card.

At Lowe's, soon they will have to if they're using credit.

Last edited by a moderator:

BaronDeBeer

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
One of the rare times I have used Samsung Pay was at Gamestop. It went through then the cashier wanted to see the physical card. I didn't have it with me, so I had to pay with something else.

jshaw42

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
The only difficulty I have had was in the early use stage. It does take some time at some places. I even had a refund from Verizon go through. My experience has been good. As for the terminals that take a chip card, they usually have a swipe area, as well (for those who don't have chip cards) and it works fine.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The only difficulty I have had was in the early use stage. It does take some time at some places. I even had a refund from Verizon go through. My experience has been good. As for the terminals that take a chip card, they usually have a swipe area, as well (for those who don't have chip cards) and it works fine.

Again, this is a very specific requirement (a stupid one, if you ask me) from Lowe's and Home Depot. Yes, they have a chip+swipe terminal, BUT their system will force using the chip if it's a credit card. The swipe portion will only work with debit cards. That's THEIR SYSTEM, their requirement, not a limitation of chip credit cards or the terminals or Samsung Pay.

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Again, this is a very specific requirement (a stupid one, if you ask me) from Lowe's and Home Depot. Yes, they have a chip+swipe terminal, BUT their system will force using the chip if it's a credit card. The swipe portion will only work with debit cards. That's THEIR SYSTEM, their requirement, not a limitation of chip credit cards or the terminals or Samsung Pay.

My debit card has a chip. Does that mean it will require me to insert it? Or just credit cards?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power