Notifications on "Always On Display" lock screen

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I recently traded in my replacement G-Note 7 for a GS-7. I use Nova Launcher and Tesla Unread and have the Always On Display turned on. Missed calls and texted show up on the always on lock screen but nothing else. I've tried everything I can think of to make the rest (Hangouts, emails, FB, etc....) show up but nothing works. I'm trying to avoid a factory set. Any suggestions?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
That's normal. The GS7 AOD never had any notifications for other apps other than stock SMS and phone calls. Samsung promised back in September that some of the newer features of the AOD in the Note7 would come to the S7 in a series of updates. The latest update on AOD released today added photo feature and new clockfaces previously seen only on the Note 7. You'd just have to wait a bit until they finish rolling out updates.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah no 3rd party notifications yet...

A new update today got me a little excited thinking it might be the one that gives us what's missing like the Note 7 has but nope, not yet. Hopefully soon though...... Hopefully

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the standard digital clock on Always On Display is much smaller after the latest update?

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah no 3rd party notifications yet...

A new update today got me a little excited thinking it might be the one that gives us what's missing like the Note 7 has but nope, not yet. Hopefully soon though...... Hopefully

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the standard digital clock on Always On Display is much smaller after the latest update?

That's normal. The GS7 AOD never had any notifications for other apps other than stock SMS and phone calls. Samsung promised back in September that some of the newer features of the AOD in the Note7 would come to the S7 in a series of updates. The latest update on AOD released today added photo feature and new clockfaces previously seen only on the Note 7. You'd just have to wait a bit until they finish rolling out updates.
Thnx for the input. I hope Sammy drops an update soon that enables this function. I loved it on the N-7.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Just came here from note 7 as well... thanks for posting this OP... I thought I had to fiddle more... the tap onto the icon to launch would be nice too:)

mike208

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
And apparently the update also removed the daily task like calendar option. Now the only calendar option is the full month, not much use for that. Thanks Samsung.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Initially felt the update was a good improvement, but like some others, I've noticed a couple of "backward steps" with the update:
1. Stock message/phone notifications no longer display how many unread messages or missed calls are available. I'm pretty sure this was the case before the update?
2. The battery status is displayed on a separate line to the date. This is purely a personal preference I suppose, and an argument could be made that this is better than before. However, I instinctively dislike it, although I'm quite sure it will "grow on me". First world problems I suppose hehe. Perhaps Samsung could allow customisation of this? Shouldn't be too hard, considering the update allows abilities such as adding a Signature/Picture etc.

Some other observations:
1. The AOD appears brighter in general (especially in darker conditions). Not sure if I like this, as it will likely drain (slightly) more battery life.
2. Like another poster noticed, there seems to be only one calendar option now. I'm pretty sure there were at least 2 or 3 before the update?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

Just a few days ago started using always on display and noticed the new changes yesterday. Wondering if the use of a photo will cause more battery drainage.

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I updated to the newest version today hoping Always On would crawl around the screen. Screensaver crawls around the screen but only when docked/charging or both. For me, Always On clock I have selected only moves from one position to another when I hit the power button wait a moment hit the power button again, but if I just let the phone sit the Always ON never moves on the screen. Either make Always On crawl or give the Screensaver some Always On settings.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I updated to the newest version today hoping Always On would crawl around the screen. Screensaver crawls around the screen but only when docked/charging or both. For me, Always On clock I have selected only moves from one position to another when I hit the power button wait a moment hit the power button again, but if I just let the phone sit the Always ON never moves on the screen. Either make Always On crawl or give the Screensaver some Always On settings.
AOD moves around in set intervals.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Question: did the previous version of AOD also not display the AOD screen when on a phone call, when the screen is off? I'm currently on a phone call and when the screen is dark (with the newest version of AOD), there is no AOD.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I do get a notification now for the song being played or even the show info on the SiriusXM app.

That's a bit of a gimmick really, but I guess it's a neat one.

Question: did the previous version of AOD also not display the AOD screen when on a phone call, when the screen is off? I'm currently on a phone call and when the screen is dark (with the newest version of AOD), there is no AOD.

I'm pretty sure AOD screen has always been disabled when the screen is dark while on a phone call.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Glad to know I'm not the only one missing those AOD features from the N7. I think Sammy ought to go ahead and upgrade those along with Grace UX from the N7 as a friggin consolation for having to switch to a different phone and staying with them.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm surprised not more people are complaining about the loss of displaying the number of text messages/missed phone calls. Am I the only one who noticed this? It's not a big deal, but it's an odd "feature" to purposefully remove?

Also, I'm noticing the AOD is indeed using up slightly more battery life than before. I think I notice it more (even though it's quite subtle) because I'm often in a dark environment, and the AOD is definitely brighter than before the latest update in these environments. Before the latest update, I was losing an extra ~0.4% battery per hour with AOD enabled (verses disabled). After the latest update, I'm losing an extra ~0.5-0.6% per hour. It's a bit odd, as the changelog for the latest update apparently implies that battery consumption has improved with AOD. To be honest, I was already quite impressed with the minimal battery consumption before the update. Now I'm a little less impressed hehe.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Just trying to keep it to one thread,and I couldn't help notice other people observing different "backward steps" to what I'm noticing - for some, it appears that notifications (for stock messaging/phone apps) are completely gone! At least I'm still getting notifications for these, just that the exact number of text messages/missed phone calls no longer displays.