Stock messaging app

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I want to give the stock messaging app a go round after years of handcent/next sms. Is there any way to change the conversation list screen to a dark theme or add a background pic? Thanks in advance.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
The stock app is fairly decent, the only reason I use textra is the pop up notification when swiped away marks as read. The factory app does not.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Oh you mean the conversation list. I don't think you can. It will just follow the theme you use. Just choose a dark theme in general. There are plenty.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
To achieve a quasi dark theme in messages create a jpg or png thats all black fill. Save it to your device in gallery. In messages settings choose that as the background for messages.

Additionally

It's not talked about very much but group messaging using the stock app is far superior than any other messaging app out there imo. Here's why.

Step 1. Create your group in contacts
Step 2. In messages begin your group text, and select the group option.
Step 3. Messages brings you back to your pre determined group (step 1) in contacts.
Step 4. The group members there are not preselected so you simply cherry pick the names you want in your message from the group you created in Step 1.
Step 5. Add or Delete members of the group on the fly depending on who's leaving or joining.

The group you selected in Step 1 always remains available for future group texts because it's in Contacts.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I like the stock Samsung SMS app but it has one huge downside for me and that's the limit on characters you can send in each message. It's like being transported back several years when we had to send two or more messages if we had a lot to say. Is there a setting I've missed? For that reason I use the Google SMS app.

theonecid

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I like the stock Samsung SMS app but it has one huge downside for me and that's the limit on characters you can send in each message. It's like being transported back several years when we had to send two or more messages if we had a lot to say. Is there a setting I've missed? For that reason I use the Google SMS app.

That has nothing to do with the app itself, that is at the core of SMS (SHORT Message Service), I believe each message can contain no more than 160 characters. Want to send longer messages? Send them as MMS.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I know that, but all of the other SMS apps I have used stitch the 160 character messages together seamlessly so neither I nor the recipient is any the wiser. They and I see one long message. The Samsung app is the only one which appears not to be able to do this.

theonecid

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I know that, but all of the other SMS apps I have used stitch the 160 character messages together seamlessly so neither I nor the recipient is any the wiser. They and I see one long message. The Samsung app is the only one which appears not to be able to do this.

Nothing stops you from writing your text all in one SMS and pressing send, let it send however it wants as long as the receiver receives it entirely. I find the messages app stitches them seamlessly too.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That's the problem. As soon as I go over 160 characters the Samsung app tells me my message is too long and gives me no option to write any more. I would have to initiate a new message - which I don't have to do in other SMS apps. That makes it a deal-breaker for me. I may have missed a setting, but I can't find anything which would make it behave like other SMS apps.

theonecid

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
That's the problem. As soon as I go over 160 characters the Samsung app tells me my message is too long and gives me no option to write any more. I would have to initiate a new message - which I don't have to do in other SMS apps. That makes it a deal-breaker for me. I may have missed a setting, but I can't find anything which would make it behave like other SMS apps.

Oh wow I see... didn't realize it was like that for you. When I write, it just continues over and I get a new counter '160/2' which says I have 160 characters to go and it is the second message. Weird

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
OK, something has changed - I now get the same behaviour as you. Maybe an update sorted things out. Will change it to be my default SMS app and see how it goes.

Lex Luthor#WN

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Can't mutea conversation. Deal breaker for me. I have lots of commercial texts I've signed up for that i have muted, but still get the text if i want to refer to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair