Why does my battery life drain so fast? HELP!

A

AC Question

So I just got my galaxy s7 today from sprint and after using it for an hour I noticed that the battery drains pretty fast. I was given the phone at around 45% and it was at 7% after using it for an hour and 30 minutes. This is not what I expected at all. A 3000 mAh battery should last me more than 5 hours at the very least with casual usage such as browsing the internet let alone what I was doing was just browsing through my device's settings as well as uninstalling all the pre-installed junk that came with my phone. I've seen many reviews on youtube and online saying that this device's battery life should last you more than 10 hours, possible more than an entire day with light usage. This is a completely new phone so i'm just confused as to why the battery life is so low. Any help would be appreciated because right now I think I might have to return the phone.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
You should fully charge the battery first, then it takes a couple of cycles to settle in as it were. With a new phone, they are very busy with synch this and that and checking stuff online (that's just the device and apps, not counting your activities).. Give the thing a chance...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree with Tim1954. App installation can also use a fair amount of power when done in big batches, and this is one of the things users tend to do a lot of when they first get a phone.

If you still notice the battery life being poor after charging up to 100% and using it normally for a few cycles, then show us some battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

12of12

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Why does my battery drain so fast? Help!

So I just got my galaxy s7 today from sprint and after using it for an hour I noticed that the battery drains pretty fast. I was given the phone at around 45% and it was at 7% after using it for an hour and 30 minutes. This is not what I expected at all. A 3000 mAh battery should last me more than 5 hours at the very least with casual usage such as browsing the internet let alone what I was doing was just browsing through my device's settings as well as uninstalling all the pre-installed junk that came with my phone. I've seen many reviews on youtube and online saying that this device's battery life should last you more than 10 hours, possible more than an entire day with light usage. This is a completely new phone so i'm just confused as to why the battery life is so low. Any help would be appreciated

I've heard that since this is a new phone, it is going through sync and app installation and what not. I've also been told that I need to charge the phone completely and use it normally for a few cycles (using it to 20% ish and then charging it completely again). Dod you guys experience battery life issues when you guys got your new phone?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why does my battery drain so fast? Help!

Charge it fully (100% plus another 30 minutes - due to the way we measure state of charge, the moment the indicator says 100%, the battery is at about 97%-98% charged), then discharge it to around 50%, then charge it again - 3 times.

Try to never allow it to fall below 40%. ("20% ish" is going to be nice for the battery manufacturers - you'll be buying a lot of batteries - but lithium batteries are not deep-discharge devices, and deep-discharging them will ruin them.) 50% is the normal recharge point for maximum lifetime. 40% is about the lowest the battery should be allowed to go. If you start looking for an outlet when it reaches 50%, you'll probably be charging it before it reaches 40%. (And once you get through those first 3 cycles, don't worry about overcharging it - the charging circuit in the phone turns charging off when the battery is fully charged, even if the charger is still connected. I've had phones lost under the mess on the workbench, plugged in and charging for a month or more, with no problem.

missmotta

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site

Congrats on your new phone! I think that I also had that experience when I first bought mine. All those app installations and updates, syncing new stuff, etc.
I'm not sure about your carrier, but I turned off Wi-Fi calling and that really improved my battery life

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Make sure to turn off google location history and smart network switch if enabled. Those are known battery suckers. I think the phone will settle down in next a few charging cycles.

420lyfe

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site

I'm using the s7... my battery life isn't like yours at all but it's not like you say either... it sure doesn't last me 10 hours.... or an entire day, but I see your point... Yours drained pretty darn quick. Mine lasts me 4-5h SOT. It really depends on the apps you're running and what's going on in the background... many things to consider. You can return/replace your device if needed since it's new... it could have a flaw. You never know.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

12of12

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
I don't know if these are extremely accurate because I keep my phone off most of the time (Always On Display is always activated). My battery decreases by 1% every 4 to 5 minutes (Ive been using the android central app for the past 20 mins now). Also, I've been using this animated wall paper called forest just in case that helps. Hope the screenshots tell something; I'll be posting a new set the next time I charge it to 80 ish% and I'll use it normally.

Attachments

• 745.jpg
    745.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 140

12of12

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site

12of12

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
Hey anyone? I want to know if my battery should run out this fast.. Right now 60% of my battery will last around 5 hours if I use applications like YouTube and of I do some browsing through the internet. I have many background applications running such as a circle sidebar, I have an animated wall paper called forest and I have a battery display called energy bar.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey anyone? I want to know if my battery should run out this fast.. Right now 60% of my battery will last around 5 hours if I use applications like YouTube and of I do some browsing through the internet. I have many background applications running such as a circle sidebar, I have an animated wall paper called forest and I have a battery display called energy bar.

Sorry -- it would just be good to see all of the screenshots before making a guess as to what the problem might be. Can you post them using the desktop AC forums site instead of the app?

From the screenshots I could see, at least it doesn't look like poor cell signal is a culprit. Do you have an SD card inserted? If so, unmount it and remove it, then see if that makes a difference, since a corrupt media file on the card can cause the system to work overtime while the Mediaserver tries to scan that file and include it in the correct media database.

It'd be helpful to see how long the phone is being kept awake as well.

12of12

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
alright, I guess the app isn't working out. I've been taking screenshots daily so when I have the chance to go on my PC, I'll give it a go. Thanks for your persistence and sorry if I sound urgent, I just don't want to end up paying so much if my battery life isn't what it's supposed to be. My s7 is so much better than my old iPhone 5 and to be fair, I am throwing a lot at this phone and it's still lasting me quite a while throughout the day. I just want to make sure everything is fine.

teletraan1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
My battery drains abnormally fast too. I used to be able to go a day and a half no problem. Now I have to charge 3 times a day. Unacceptable. Battery usage shows Android System is using around 30%!!!! That's not normal at all is it? Others I know are less than 10%. I feel like this all started after I installed Samsung Pay.

12of12

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site
I have android system at 30ish as well.. but it changes to under 10% if I'm doing other tasks such as watching YouTube so..

UPDATE: hopefully I'll be free tomorrow to post some screenshots from my PC