Transfer Sprint S7 > Verizon S7

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
New S7 from Verizon arrives in a couple days, and need help with moving from my Sprint S7. Is SmartSwitch the way to go? What is the most seamless way to get EVERYTHING moved? I'd appreciate a detailed explanation of the right way to backup and restore - thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
SmartSwitch will take care of it all. Just follow the instructions and you're good to go :) If you want you can back up the device to your computer 'just in case', but chances are you won't need it. Just follow the on screen prompts, connect the cables the way the phone shows you to, select what you want to transfer, done!

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
SmartSwitch will take care of it all. Just follow the instructions and you're good to go :) If you want you can back up the device to your computer 'just in case', but chances are you won't need it. Just follow the on screen prompts, connect the cables the way the phone shows you to, select what you want to transfer, done!

So will I be transferring directly, from one phone to the other? Wirelessly, or wired? Or will I be backing up the old phone to the PC and then restoring from the PC to the new phone? Don't mean to be dense, I'm just not at all familiar with how this gets done.
Thanks

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
So will I be transferring directly, from one phone to the other? Wirelessly, or wired? Or will I be backing up the old phone to the PC and then restoring from the PC to the new phone? Don't mean to be dense, I'm just not at all familiar with how this gets done.
Thanks

Hence why there are on-screen instructions

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks

Not a problem! That's why we're here, to help! :)
You can transfer any of those ways. The easiest one is via cable with the OTG Adapter that comes in the box with your phone and the microUSB cable you charge it with. You just plug the two phones together, and done. Select what you want backed up/transferred and let both phones do the rest (I suggest you keep them both charged before doing this since, especially if you select apps and you have a bunch, it takes quite some time). Should you want to do it wirelessly, you can do that too; again, follow the on-screen prompts on how to 'pair' both phones and the rest is the same, just without the wires.

Additionally, you can do the same with your old phone and a PC to have a back up there just in case, and then transfer the back up from your PC to the new phone (or from the old phone to the new one and keep the PC back up as that, a back up). To the PC is the same thing: wired or wireless, both work.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Do I need to do anything special regarding the micro SD card and the data on it? I've got thousands of pictures and plenty of apps/data stored there.

I am hoping to be able to use that same card in the new S7.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can for the data and pictures by just inserting the card into the new phone, but I'm not so sure about the apps that have been moved there. I know that Smart Switch does SD Card back up as well, but if you do a phone-to-phone transfer you'd have to have another SD card in the new phone, I'm guessing.

Or maybe if you back up to PC first then you can restore to the same card? Just make sure that your pictures and docs and data are safely copied elsewhere...just in case.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm leaning toward doing a 'phone > PC > phone' transfer now, to be sure to get all that card data saved. It's a 200GB card, so I won't be buying another one... ;)

Will the Helium app do everything SmartSwitch does PLUS all of my app data? If so, I may give it a try instead.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, Helium does that, but I can't remember if it needs root to do it though. And the restore process might be buggy for some apps, I hear, but yeah, same principle, just not as 'easy' and straight-forward as Smart Switch (but then again, you have different options with Helium or Titanium Backup.

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Yup, Helium does that, but I can't remember if it needs root to do it though. And the restore process might be buggy for some apps, I hear, but yeah, same principle, just not as 'easy' and straight-forward as Smart Switch (but then again, you have different options with Helium or Titanium Backup.
Yep, I would agree with this. Helium is clumsy compared to Smart Switch but it is thorough. You don't need root access. I haven't tried Titanium so can't comment on that app

cyberdman

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
This is a little more complicated than everyone is letting on, but you can do it.

Here's what I would recommend. The free version of Helium only backs up to a folder inside the phone and you don't need root, but in order for this to work you have to also install the desktop version of the app to your PC. You connect the phone to your PC and then fire up and sync both apps on phone and PC. This puts the phone in a special mode I guess and it backsup everything to a Helium folder on your phone whatever you select to back up - just back up application data only. When you are done, close out of Helium and while the PC is still connected to your phone (via USB), using Windows file exporer copy the Helium directory from your phone to your PC.

Next, use Smart Switch on your new phone for all the standard stuff, i.e.: Pictures, Contacts, Apps, texts, etc. Next after you've got all the stuff on your new phone via Smart Switch, plug phone into PC and copy the backup from Helium folder you saved on PC to the same folder on your phone. Fire up Helium app on your phone and select to restore your app data.

Done. All your apps you use on your new phone will now look just like they did when they were on your old phone with all the data.

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
This is a little more complicated than everyone is letting on, but you can do it.

Here's what I would recommend. The free version of Helium only backs up to a folder inside the phone and you don't need root, but in order for this to work you have to also install the desktop version of the app to your PC. You connect the phone to your PC and then fire up and sync both apps on phone and PC. This puts the phone in a special mode I guess and it backsup everything to a Helium folder on your phone whatever you select to back up - just back up application data only. When you are done, close out of Helium and while the PC is still connected to your phone (via USB), using Windows file exporer copy the Helium directory from your phone to your PC.

Next, use Smart Switch on your new phone for all the standard stuff, i.e.: Pictures, Contacts, Apps, texts, etc. Next after you've got all the stuff on your new phone via Smart Switch, plug phone into PC and copy the backup from Helium folder you saved on PC to the same folder on your phone. Fire up Helium app on your phone and select to restore your app data.

Done. All your apps you use on your new phone will now look just like they did when they were on your old phone with all the data.

Thanks cyberdman. I think I'll be able to get that accomplished without too much difficulty. Phones get here tomorrow...

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

cyberdman,
When I run Helium backup, it leaves a directory in the phone internal storage called 'Carbon', which has folders that correspond to the apps whose data I backed up. BUT, all of those folders are EMPTY. No saved data. Any ideas on why and how to get it done right?
Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc