Bad battery? Wait or replace

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
So, I am on my fourth S7. Love the phone, don't want another.
After receiving my warranty replacement, my multi window button went haywire, I have been having crazy bad battery life. Restored, wiped cache, ect, ect. Normally, when I leave for work at 1130 it is at 80-85% after being on since 730, now it is at about 60%. Have to charge it twice a day instead of at night, or the occasional war robots marathon. Weirdly though, is it charges super fast. Normally it would take 2 hours to fully charge, high speed wireless, now it takes about 1-1.5 hours, almost like it just has a small battery.
should I wait a week to see if it sets in.
Running services shows settings by a wide margin is being used, battery shows screen 24%, android system 23%, and android os as 15%. Gsam shows android system 9.8% and kernel 5.6% as the two highest.
Think the battery is bad? It's still under warranty. Ideas to fix?

swharshbar

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Seems to me you have a bad battery and I would consider replacement. My wife has the s7 and she's on it alot playing game and the phone makes it from about 8am to 11:30pm with about 23% remaining battery. For her, nearly 5 hours on screen time.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Not enough info. For example, you didn't mention the SOT from morning til lunch (the time frame you mentioned). And what in the heck does "now" refer to regarding the 60% battery life? I can't rely on your posting time because many forums mess up the posted time. Even my own post shows the wrong time despite the time zone being set correctly for this site.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
That is what I think. Checked my sot, used to be about 5, now it's 2h10m average. I just unplugged it 30 minutes ago and it's at 80%.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
That is what I think. Checked my sot, used to be about 5, now it's 2h10m average. I just unplugged it 30 minutes ago and it's at 80%.

If it went down from 100% to 80% in 30 minutes that is quite excessive. You could either try exchanging it or do a factory reset (UGH!) and not put on any apps for a day and see how it performs. If it performs much better, battery-wise, then add in your apps in batches and keep monitoring the battery life. Or just go for an exchange. :)

PS: Almost forgot--I'm not fond of it, but you could try safe mode for a while to check battery life.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Did a complete recovery, cache wipe. started with the basics and slowly added apps. Battery is back to normal. Seems something was wonky. I'll give it a couple of days and see.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I use power saving mode. Not ultra. It slows the phone down just a little, but the battery lasts up to 2 days.
Of course I have to turn the PS off when I'm using VR, but I have it plugged into the charger then.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I tried power saving mode. Texts, emails, basically everything on push notification came super late. So I stopped using it.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I had a simple weather app that I used every day. One morning I turned on my S7 and tapped on this weather app, Phone went blank and no weather! Tried it again with same result! Battery was dead before Noon, Phone stayed warm all morning. I checked battery usage and that app was using lots of power. removed app from phone and did a restart. Solved problem!
I am not sure why an app would crash and cause such a battery drain but it did. I have reinstalled the app and it working fine. Something can change in your phone that causes a big battery drain all of a sudden.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded a dashcam app that made my phone restart if it was used for more than ten minutes.
I've noticed that all phones have a personality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret