text message tone

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that if I have my stock text message app open and the screen unlocked, if I get a reply to a text message, I do not get an audible alert. Any way to fix this?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Not that I know of in stock. But one of the first things I do on a new phone is install a replacement SMS app, either Textra or ChompSMS. Both of those can do what you want.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Do either one, or both, send text notifications with the message to a Garmin Fenix 3 HR smartwatch?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Textra supports Android wear. Not sure about chompSMS. But their both from the same dev group and chomp actually has more features.

supporthelper55

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
Hello there,
Which model are you using for your primary phone? are you refering notification alert from your phone or your smart watch?
Normally, on Galaxy S7, notification alert comes in when the device recieves a reply whether the device's screen is on or not and stock message application is open or closed. Alert doesnt come in when you receive a message while you are in the same message window who sent the reply from.

Last edited:

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello there,
Which model are you using for your primary phone? are you refering notification alert from your phone or your smart watch?
Normally, on Galaxy S7, notification alert comes in when the device recieves a reply whether the device's screen is on or not and stock message application is open or closed. Alert doesnt come in when you receive a message while you are in the same message window who sent the reply from.

Umm...the Galaxy S7. Audible alerts on the phone. If I have been texting my wife and I leave the thread open and lay the phone down, when she replies, there is no audible alert. If this is standard behavior, that's fine. I just wanted to make sure there isn't a setting I need to tweak.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
As other users have said, I do not believe there is a way to customize this in stock SMS apps. Textra is a great option got customizability.