Looking to buy a Galaxy S7 - unlocked vs carrier?

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Have been holding on to my old S4 for ages now and old age is finally getting to it, so looking to get an S7 now. I'm with T-Mobile and to buy through them is almost $700 total, or I can buy an unlocked phone for as low as $500. What are the pros and cons of buying unlocked? Any recommendation for a reputable and reliable seller? I'm partial to the S7, rather than the Edge, just because I don't think I'll ever use "the edge" part of the Edge phone.

Thanks!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Buying unlocked gives you a ton of freedom. You're not tied to the terms of a two-year contract with your carrier. You're not paying your phone off in increments - you pay it off all at once and you never have to think about it again.

I bought an unlocked device for the first time and it was very freeing. You get more variety of choice with unlocked purchases, as well - so long as your specific device of choice is compatible with your carrier's bands/network, you have nothing to worry about.

Glad you are getting a deal on your S7 unlocked! I'd say go for it! :) Let us know what you decide!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
One thing with the unlocked version, the OS updates come much slower then the carrier version.

My T-Mobile S7 Edge on 6.1.1 is on the November 1st security update.
My unlocked carrier free version is on the September 1st security update. Not that big of a difference. The unlocked version works with all T-Mobile phone features such and supports Samsung Pay as well.

I am using both phones on T-Mobile. The unlocked version gets about twice the standby time for as the carrier version and I also get about double the screen usage time. Maybe it's being free of the T-Mobile garb that is giving me all that better performance but I am loving the experience.

I bought mine during the X-Mas sale with it was $120 off at BestBuy last week. It's back up to the regular price now.

auditman

May 31, 2011
Visit site
One thing with the unlocked version, the OS updates come much slower then the carrier version.

My T-Mobile S7 Edge on 6.1.1 is on the November 1st security update.
My unlocked carrier free version is on the September 1st security update. Not that big of a difference. The unlocked version works with all T-Mobile phone features such and supports Samsung Pay as well.

I am using both phones on T-Mobile. The unlocked version gets about twice the standby time for as the carrier version and I also get about double the screen usage time. Maybe it's being free of the T-Mobile garb that is giving me all that better performance but I am loving the experience.

I bought mine during the X-Mas sale with it was $120 off at BestBuy last week. It's back up to the regular price now.

The global version unlock is pretty good with uodates. Faster than north america version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge