iPhone 7 better battery life than the S7?

cconn

Banned
Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

So recently I had a chance to try an iPhone for a few days. While I'm not unhappy with the S7's battery life (I get about 4 hours of SOT with mixed usage, about 5+ if I do nothing but use the phone), but I couldn't held but notice how much better the iPhone's battery was - it was probably the only aspect of the phone that didn't seem to mesh with the reviews I've seen. SOT-wise, it seemed extremely comparable to the SOT I've been getting on my S7, and it's standby time was waaaaay better. With my S7, I get about 2-3% drain per hour, with the iPhone it was about 1% if that, and with far less power saving options enabled.

So basically, my question is, do the results I'm getting seem accurate? Or have I maybe just been getting luck with the iPhone's battery life? If the battery's really that good now, I might consider switching on my next upgrade.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It's because the iPhone is using a more aggressive programming similar ti Doze in Android. Basically shuts everything down. On actual usage, Android has better battery, however if we're talking about standby time, Apple's MAY be better. But then again I run as low as 0.7% per hour standby on my S7 Edge.

cconn

Banned
Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
I also have the sneaking suspicion that Apple and Samsung's battery measurements are different.

My S7 will stay at 100% for about 2 minutes, the iPhone will stay at 100% for about 20 minutes.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
It's because the iPhone is using a more aggressive programming similar ti Doze in Android. Basically shuts everything down. On actual usage, Android has better battery, however if we're talking about standby time, Apple's MAY be better. But then again I run as low as 0.7% per hour standby on my S7 Edge.

As I shared in a thread I started awhile back, my iPhones did a ton better with cell standby when the signal is poor. And unfortunately, my signal is pretty poor at my house (between -105 to -115 typically). The difference in the impact on battery drain is quite significant.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

So recently I had a chance to try an iPhone for a few days. While I'm not unhappy with the S7's battery life (I get about 4 hours of SOT with mixed usage, about 5+ if I do nothing but use the phone), but I couldn't held but notice how much better the iPhone's battery was - it was probably the only aspect of the phone that didn't seem to mesh with the reviews I've seen. SOT-wise, it seemed extremely comparable to the SOT I've been getting on my S7, and it's standby time was waaaaay better. With my S7, I get about 2-3% drain per hour, with the iPhone it was about 1% if that, and with far less power saving options enabled.

So basically, my question is, do the results I'm getting seem accurate? Or have I maybe just been getting luck with the iPhone's battery life? If the battery's really that good now, I might consider switching on my next upgrade.

iPhones also have outstanding standby time, charge an iPhone to 100% and charge any Samsung Phone to 100% then leave them idle for 2 hours, watch the iPhone remain at 100 or 99% while the Samsung phones go down to sub 90%

I just gave my iPhone 7 256GB with the iPhone Battery Case to my wife as I couldn't stand iOS but that phone could go on for 3 days with no charge with that extra battery case

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
iPhones also have outstanding standby time, charge an iPhone to 100% and charge any Samsung Phone to 100% then leave them idle for 2 hours, watch the iPhone remain at 100 or 99% while the Samsung phones go down to sub 90%

I just gave my iPhone 7 256GB with the iPhone Battery Case to my wife as I couldn't stand iOS but that phone could go on for 3 days with no charge with that extra battery case
I have my 7 plus to my wife with Mophie case to my wife as well.

joshwilks

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
I also have the sneaking suspicion that Apple and Samsung's battery measurements are different.

My S7 will stay at 100% for about 2 minutes, the iPhone will stay at 100% for about 20 minutes.

Interesting that you say that because my MacBook Pro stays at 100% for a lot longer than it should. I wonder why?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Interesting that you say that because my MacBook Pro stays at 100% for a lot longer than it should. I wonder why?
In Doze mode, my S7 will stay at 100% for 30min (0.7% battery loss). On use, good luck to keep above 99% in 10min. It could just be the standby mode battery usage.

Last edited:

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
In Doze mode, my S7 will stay at 100% for 30min (0.7% battery loss). On use, good luck to keep above 99% in 10min. It could just be the standby mode battery usage.

I haven't figure out yet how to tell when my S7 is in Doze. Still new to the phone (and android).

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I haven't figure out yet how to tell when my S7 is in Doze. Still new to the phone (and android).
As far as I'm aware, the Doze that comes built into the phone only goes into effect when the phone's been idle and stationary for 30 minutes, so there's no real way you'll ever notice the built in Doze is on.

But if you download the Doze app, that'll start the moment your screen goes off, and gives you the option of a notification that let's you know when it's been on.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
As far as I'm aware, the Doze that comes built into the phone only goes into effect when the phone's been idle and stationary for 30 minutes, so there's no real way you'll ever notice the built in Doze is on.

But if you download the Doze app, that'll start the moment your screen goes off, and gives you the option of a notification that let's you know when it's been on.
The Doze app with the owl icon is not the same thing. They just happened to have the same name, but that app does not work the same way as the built in Doze. If you want to know when the phone is dozing, you can use Greenify's doze timers. Greenify also enables Aggressive Doze (starts in 10min instead of 30) , and Doze on the Go (Keeps on dozing even while moving).

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You seem against the Doze (owl) app.
No. I'm not against it. I'm saying it's not the same as Android's Doze. The app just creates a dead end VPN so that the phone is not able to establish an internet connection, because an internet connection is the biggest battery drain in a phone. Basically, if you keep your data off anyway, the Doze app is actually an additional battery drain. If you keep your data on, it may help a bit, but that's all. The app is not Doze as Android or Greenify defines the Doze feature.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
With my S7, I get about 2-3% drain per hour, with the iPhone it was about 1% if that, and with far less power saving options enabled.

Ha! I WISH I got that kind of drain per hour on my S7. It's typically around 5-15% depending on what I'm doing. Even when I'm out and about and hardly looking at my phone, its around 5%. My drain per hour stats are based off of pulling the phone off the charger at 100%. I never include any doze time overnight because that just inflates the stats and makes your drain per hour seem better. Drain per hour should really only be measured from 100% down to whatever % your phone is when you go to bed and stop using it.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
So is it a plus to have Greenify app running or is it better to leave the phone do its homework?
The only thing you want Greenify to do is Aggressive Doze and Doze on the Go. It just triggers the phone to go into Doze earlier and keeps it there. Which will supposedly be not needed anymore on Nougat since it will have more Aggressive Dozing (lite Doze) and Doze on the Go.