iPhone 7 better battery life than the S7?

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I also have the sneaking suspicion that Apple and Samsung's battery measurements are different.

My S7 will stay at 100% for about 2 minutes, the iPhone will stay at 100% for about 20 minutes.

Noticed my V20 will do this also; another aspect in how it differs from the V10.

cconn

Banned
Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
This is neither here nor there, but since we're discussing standby time, I've noticed wifi effects my battery way worse than mobile data. Both at home and at work, my phone will drain way faster if I'm connected to wifi.

Like how I said I usually get 2-3% per hour battery drain in standby? Last night I turned off my wifi before I went to bed, and my phone only lost about 5% in 6 hours.

I suppose this is because the wifi isn't the greatest in either my home or at work, but it's still a pretty noticeable difference.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
This is neither here nor there, but since we're discussing standby time, I've noticed wifi effects my battery way worse than mobile data. Both at home and at work, my phone will drain way faster if I'm connected to wifi.

Like how I said I usually get 2-3% per hour battery drain in standby? Last night I turned off my wifi before I went to bed, and my phone only lost about 5% in 6 hours.

I suppose this is because the wifi isn't the greatest in either my home or at work, but it's still a pretty noticeable difference.
I had that problem on the Aug to Nov updates. After the 300mb December update it became better.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
It's because the iPhone is using a more aggressive programming similar ti Doze in Android. Basically shuts everything down. On actual usage, Android has better battery, however if we're talking about standby time, Apple's MAY be better. But then again I run as low as 0.7% per hour standby on my S7 Edge.

On standby, my Moto Z Play drains about 1 percent every 3 hours. Just incredible and far better than any iPhone. I understand the Z Play has really good battery life, but my point is that iPhones are not uniformly better on battery (even standby) than Android phones.

Mooserman15

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
When a phone reports that there is 0% battery life left, there is actually about 20% left at low voltage. They decided to leave that unused so you don't need a new phone every six months. i*****s get their "good" battery life by lying on the battery meter and dipping into this power. That causes the batter to only go through 10% all day, but then 90% at night. The i***** gradually stops doing it in the course of several months so the user doesn't notice. Also, the chips throttle at low power levels, and a throttled i***** is extremely slow. Also, iOS runs all your apps in the background for faster load time. The more apps you have, the worse your load time. On Android, devs can opt out of that. So don't buy i****.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
The Doze app with the owl icon is not the same thing. They just happened to have the same name, but that app does not work the same way as the built in Doze. If you want to know when the phone is dozing, you can use Greenify's doze timers. Greenify also enables Aggressive Doze (starts in 10min instead of 30) , and Doze on the Go (Keeps on dozing even while moving).

I thought that might be the case. Thanks.

JonovisioC

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Standby has been great on my s7 always on display is off . Overnight 6-8 hours it only used 2% . Something must be keeping your phones awake. There was one day where Facebook alone was draining 2% per hour. My phone has been great with Facebook uninstalled. It's such an evil app. Just use your browser

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
The last time I used FB in the browser, I couldn't tag people in comments or posts by writing their name like you can do in the app or on desktop :(

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I consider Android battery reporting to be much more accurate. An iPhone lasts "forever" at 100% then quickly tapers off every percent after that. That is not accurate at all.

I modified my Note 4 to get battery on par with the S7Edge and here are my most recent results for the day.
0.2% an hour standby drain.
2% overall drain.

Could probably be the same on an actual S7, but I'll take what I can get.

I made quite a few modifications to get to that point.
iPhone always runs well out of the box.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170115-182345.jpg
    Screenshot_20170115-182345.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 72

JonovisioC

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Also iPhone reporting is inaccurate , the usage time is any time the iphone is not sleeping . Everytime you recieve a message it adds 30 seconds to usage time. I didn't use my iPad for 24 hours and got over 1 hr usage.. lol. Same with the battery . Apple is a lot of smoke and mirrors, same with their advertising.

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
I just switched from the iPhone 6s to the Galaxy S6, and I can confirm that the iPhone will stay at 100% for a long time, but will taper off very quickly after it hits 99. I probably get the same amount of time off my S6 as I did my iPhone, depending on cell standby in my galaxy. However my iPhone was plagued with an ios 10 glitch that would cause it to die at 10-30%, and at times even 40 or 50%.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I consider Android battery reporting to be much more accurate. An iPhone lasts "forever" at 100% then quickly tapers off every percent after that. That is not accurate at all.

I modified my Note 4 to get battery on par with the S7Edge and here are my most recent results for the day.
0.2% an hour standby drain.
2% overall drain.

Could probably be the same on an actual S7, but I'll take what I can get.

I made quite a few modifications to get to that point.
iPhone always runs well out of the box.

I cannot imagine that kind of battery life. My S7, which is about 2 months old has a battery life much worse than my 2+ year old iPhone 6. Don't even think this was moderate usage today. Only 1:16 of screen time.
Screenshot_20170125-215358.jpg

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I cannot imagine that kind of battery life. My S7, which is about 2 months old has a battery life much worse than my 2+ year old iPhone 6. Don't even think this was moderate usage today. Only 1:16 of screen time.
View attachment 250929

Seems like a rouge app is on the loose or something is trying and failing to sync properly with google. Your OS, System, and Google Play Services are taking a major amount of battery. Have you tried a cache wipe?

Sams6

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
View attachment 250929

Yes, that seems quite excessive for an S7 drain. Especially considering my S6 receives this when at home. (However anywhere with poor reception is a completely different story)

Attachments

• 1344.jpg
    1344.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 48

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Seems like a rouge app is on the loose or something is trying and failing to sync properly with google. Your OS, System, and Google Play Services are taking a major amount of battery. Have you tried a cache wipe?

I have multiple times, but to no avail. I'm starting to wonder if my phone is defective. This is the norm for my battery life.

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I have multiple times, but to no avail. I'm starting to wonder if my phone is defective. This is the norm for my battery life.

Hmmm. Usually those signs indicate that it's an app or something going on with the phone itself. Maybe try a complete factory reset. And then set it up as a new device without restoring any back ups. Maybe that will fix it?

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
On standby, my Moto Z Play drains about 1 percent every 3 hours. Just incredible and far better than any iPhone. I understand the Z Play has really good battery life, but my point is that iPhones are not uniformly better on battery (even standby) than Android phones.
I just got a moto z play for work and it makes the S7 seem inefficient on battery. Just manages it far better.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Hmmm. Usually those signs indicate that it's an app or something going on with the phone itself. Maybe try a complete factory reset. And then set it up as a new device without restoring any back ups. Maybe that will fix it?

I'm not optimistic (nor excited about the idea of not restoring backups), because this is how my battery life has been since I first purchased it in November. I just didn't know it might not be the norm since it was my first android phone. That's why I'm wondering if I need to go back to Best Buy and seek a replacement.

pankaj981

May 5, 2013
Visit site
One thing I've noticed is turning on Always On Display does affect standby and Doze. Turning it ON does not let Doze kick in, it may be because it keeps the CPU always ON (albeit on a lower power state) and causes battery drain. This may also hugely vary depending on whether it's a Snapdragon or an Exynos. I've an Exynos S7E and the battery life is very good, I can easily manage 5+ hours of SOT with AOD turned off with FHD resolution on Nougat.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana