Inaccurate GPS tracking in cloudy weather on TWO S7's

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
We have been using MapMyRun on my wife's phone to map our hiking distances for the past 2 years without issue. Recently we haven't been able to hike as usual, so we have been walking around the neighborhood. In the last few outings, MMR shows us going on different streets, round and round, where we haven't actually been. So today, we drove around the same streets as what we actually walked, and got almost similar (bad) results on TWO phones. THEN, we placed the two phones on the dash of the car, repeated the drive and one phone had perfect results while mine was nearly perfect, except for the befogging portion, which showed us in an area about a block away--the same general area that has been incorrectly recorded on my wife's phone, via MMR, for the past few weeks.

I've Googled GPS issues and some say that clouds don't make a difference to accuracy, but with our cloudy weather and recent GPS accuracy issues on two phones, I'm wondering if anyone here sees inaccuracies during heaving rain clouds.

T o rule out MMR as the culprit, I installed a different app to track our location. When the phones are in our pockets, in the car they were both inaccurate today. BUT, for the last two years, GPS on my wife's phone, using MMR, has been super accurate with the phone in a small backpack during hiking, in mostly good weather.

johnling

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Check your "google location history" online. My S7 is so accurate it's hard to believe. My S5 used to cut corners and deviate on occasion. My S7 has been rock solid. I do have high accuracy turned on.

Colchicine

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
GPS professional here: Cloudy weather does not (significantly) alter GPS accuracy.

There has to be different settings on the phone. For Location, you can have GPS only, or high accuracy GPS + WiFi + mobile networks.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Both our phones are set to high accuracy. Today we tried using her phone again in cloudless weather and it acted up immediately. It showed us on a whole bunch of other streets than what we have been on and we had only walked a block and a half. All of this is quite new

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
It turns out the only place that we have trouble is in our neighborhood in a certain portion of it and I believe that it's caused by some type of illegal GPS Jammer

Robnrbrtsn

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I have been having problems on and off all weekend, navigating a 5 hour trip. Often, Google Maps shows me on a side street rather than the freeway, and tries to re-route me back to the highway.

FCSC

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I have been having problems on and off all weekend, navigating a 5 hour trip. Often, Google Maps shows me on a side street rather than the freeway, and tries to re-route me back to the highway.

This is also happening to some users with the edge, in curious, do you have verizon?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
FYI, I'm on Verizon. Yesterday, my wife didn't turn on MapMyRun until we were several blocks from home (during a walk rather than a drive), and she reported to me that when we got home, MMR accurately reported our course with just one small deviation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech