Wifi Sharing: S7/S7Edge on a cruise trip

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I took a 9-day cruise with NCL over the holidays. The ship offers unlimited internet for $30 /day, single-device connection at a time. So I thought the wifi-sharing (unique to S7/S7 edge) would work perfectly. So I did just that, and here is my report.

In a short summary, it worked as intended. I connected to the ship's wifi first, and shared it with as many as 5 devices that my family have at times (a few iPhones, iPads, a MacBook, and a Chromecast). A few remarks to take note:

- the speed is slow in general, don't expect to stream anything, even when only one device is connected (no sharing).
- airplane mode must NOT be on for Wifi Sharing to work, be careful with your regular carrier's phone/data plan running off roaming.
- when I setup the hotspot, I made sure "hide my device" option is used for security
- the ship blocked excess to certain sites, Google store for example. So I couldn't download or update any apps. A workaround is VPN apps. Make sure you have that setup in advance.
- iCloud backup on iPhones did not work due to very slow connection, Google photos backup did work, although slowly.
- battery life takes a hit with the signal broadcast, bring an external battery pack.
- the ship's stayed-sign-in connection is not too stable when I moved around different locations of the ship. It requires logging out and in to fix it. Sometimes I have to do it a few times a day.
- Chromecast worked to connect to the shared network. In theory I could stream saved movies to it. But the TVs on the ship do not allow you to switch to the HDMI input. No luck.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind that -- it's a good way to force me to relax even more, and rip my eyeballs away from a device!:p