Lost S7 Edge

MoPad

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
My 5 month old Samsung S7 Edge was stolen on an overseas trip on December 19. Whoever stole it immediately turned it off and probably threw the sim card away too. I could not locate it using android utility. I changed the lock screen password and after 2 days finally erased all the data through android utility remotely. I went back to my old S4. I had a backup of my S7 taken on December 18. But when I started my S4, it did not sync up from that back up (with the same google account), and continued with whatever it had 5 months ago. Now that S4 data is getting backed up, but I would really like to restore from my Dec 18 backup. I see that backup on my google drive under Backups menu but can't do anything with it.
How can I restore my S4 from that particular backup?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't know for sure, but you might have to factory reset the S4 in order to have the backed up data on the S7 restore to the S4. Some of that data might not restore, though, since the Android versions are different -- I don't know how that would work out.

EDIT: Actually, this article makes it look like you should be able to pick the S7 as the device to restore from: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-restore-your-apps-and-settings-new-android-phone

Also, if you haven't already, I would change your Google password, and make sure 2-step authentication is turned on, to improve your security. If you had a screen lock set when you lost the phone, this probably isn't that big a deal, but if there was not screen lock, then your Google account is wide open for intrusion.

MoPad

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I will check the article.
The phone did have screen lock. I changed passwords for all my accounts including google right away though.
If I purchase another S7 edge (debating as S8 is around the corner), will I be able to back up from my S7 restore?