Nougat update corrupted All SD Card Files

anon(10178470)

Feb 27, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

My Galaxy S7 underwent an update from Android 6 to Android 7 overnight last night, but when I went to check my files on the SD card, all of them were inaccessible. The pictures (for example) were grayed-out with a small exclamation (!) in the middle. The odd thing is that when I tap on a file (like a picture) it shows where it was taken with the GPS tag and it has the proper image size in MB.

The other odd thing is that when I take new pictures after the Nougat update, the pictures end up successfully being stored on the SD card, and I can access them as well. Here's an example of what happened to all the pictures (screenshot attached). Note that the only visible picture is the one taken after the Nougat update.

I'm just wondering if it's possible that this update to Android 7 Nougat caused all SD files to permanently become corrupted?

Attachments

• 2017-02-26-22-45-46.jpg
    2017-02-26-22-45-46.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 86

anon(10178470)

Feb 27, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I forgot to mention that I tried a few things:

* taking out the SD card and inserting it back in (unmounting, remounting as well), restarting the phone, etc.
* taking out the SD card and inserting it in a computer.
* copying and pasting pictures from the phone to USB and onto a computer.
* emailing/sharing photo from phone and opening it on a computer.

Nothing worked. (I work on a MAC by the way)

I should also mention that I've never had any other issues with this phone. It was in perfect working condition, never had any viruses, never been dropped, always had been up to date.

So, if anyone has any ideas how these could be recovered, it would be great. Some of the photos were beautiful from a nice island vacation.

filanto

May 19, 2016
Visit site
The SD card was encrypted prior to updating, and no there was no backup set up.

I've had the same issue multiple times. I've found if I unencrypt the card and it shows errors I could easily access the disk with the USB to go adapter. Don't know why but it worked twice for me. I've unencrypted my disk in preparation for the nougat release from verizon

anon(10178470)

Feb 27, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I tried that too but so far nothing works. At this point I'm taking it as a learning experience but it's still somewhat disappointing that all files have become corrupted or inaccessible.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Changes to a file system and its directory always comes with risk that there was an error already. Moving tables, adding better support for larger SD cards. Improvements to encryption tables.

Some ppl I think remove SD card prior to major OS updates.

Apple is planning major change in iOS 10.3 to a new Apple file system and I assume is making changes in MacOS Sierra. Nit sure abt Samsung and 7.0.

Storing files elsewhere, locally and remote, should be a priority. Attached to local router, Amazon Prime, as well as Google or another so you have even a couple copies.

Disk storage fails, not if, but when.

Also when encrypted an SD card usually cannot be mounted outside the hardwSte device it was made for.

Do they even have repair tools to repair a directory or do sector copy?

Philipp_i

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
My Galaxy S7 did that too,
I put the SD card out of the phone and read it out with a usb Cardreader, I could recover all data (photos music...)
then i reformatted it and remouted it.

tommedema

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

My Galaxy S7 underwent an update from Android 6 to Android 7 overnight last night, but when I went to check my files on the SD card, all of them were inaccessible. The pictures (for example) were grayed-out with a small exclamation (!) in the middle. The odd thing is that when I tap on a file (like a picture) it shows where it was taken with the GPS tag and it has the proper image size in MB.

The other odd thing is that when I take new pictures after the Nougat update, the pictures end up successfully being stored on the SD card, and I can access them as well. Here's an example of what happened to all the pictures (screenshot attached). Note that the only visible picture is the one taken after the Nougat update.

I'm just wondering if it's possible that this update to Android 7 Nougat caused all SD files to permanently become corrupted?

I have exactly the same problem. For me it says that the SD card is not inserted.

Note that I enabled adaptable storage on my sgs7.

I have a ton of data there that I need to keep. Any recommendations on how to continue?

leord

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
im in indonesia
have this same issue

it seems that nougat cant decrypt encrypted sd card from marshmallow

now even if i put a new sd card, my S7 wont read it

filanto

May 19, 2016
Visit site
My SD card was unreadable until I rebooted. Though I decrypted before the update

Found out that only some apps could see the data on the SD card and were not able to access it. Getting freaking tired of formating each time and Reloading my movies. I don't have cable Internet at home. This is going to make me get the unlimited Internet from verizon. Maybe it is on purpose, just to get people onto more expensive plans