The S7 Nougat Update Ruined my Phone

Feb 27, 2017
Visit site
I'm using Galaxy S7
SM-G930T
Originally from T-mobile. Unlocked using AT&T prepaid.

I woke up today to find out my phone magically updated software to 7.0 Nougat. I woke up to a nightmare...I can't use my phone like I used to anymore. They changed everything, icons, user interface, display, sizes!! They removed my settings/presets/customizations everything!!! This is not the same phone I bought over a year ago!! It's too different!!!

My biggest issue with the update is the fact that DOZENS OF MY PERSONALLY CREATED TEXT SHORTCUTS ARE ALL GONE!!!!! (I thought to myself: Fine, I'll just do it over and recreate them again) But wait.. THEY GOT RID OF THE TEXT SHORTCUTS ENTIRELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'VE SPENT SO MUCH TIME CREATING ALL OF THOSE AND I NEED THEM FOR MY DAILY LIFE/WORK/SCHOOL EVERYTHING IS GONE AND I DON'T HAVE A OPTION TO EVEN CREATE THEM AGAIN!!!!!!!

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2847...r-own-android-and-ios-keyboard-shortcuts.html

Other issues include:
WHY DID THEY MAKE THESE STUPID FRAMES FOR THE ICONS?!!
WHY DO I HAVE TO SWIPE THE TOP QUICK MENU DOWN TWICE TO ACCESS THE BRIGHTNESS?! WHEN BEFORE THE UPDATE YOU JUST SCROLL FROM TOP TO BOTTOM ONCE THEN YOU CAN CHANGE BRIGHTNESS QUICKLY!!
WHY DOES MESSAGING SHOW A BLANK AVATAR NEXT TO EACH MESSAGES WHEN I DON'T EVEN HAVE PHOTOS OF ALL OF MY CONTACTS?!!
WHY DID THEY MOVE THE MESSAGE ICON FROM THE FAR RIGHT (where I got used to) TO THE MIDDLE AFTER EACH END CALL?!!
WHY DID THEY REMOVE THE KEYBOARD CUSTOM TEXT SHORTCUTS?!!

These are only a few of many issues that for me was completely unwanted updates/changes.

Some of you are probably happy about the new updates. But please understand, I'm extremely upset about this and I'm genuinely stressed since yesterday morning. It's already 7:30am and I have not slept since my phone updated yesterday because this is heavily weighing on me and I'm suffering. I'm trying to figure out if by some miracle I could just revert my device back to before the update yesterday. The changes are too drastic that it's almost like a completely different OS. I've switched to Android from IOS about 6 or 7 years now and have been happy with no major problems...until now. ANDROID 7.0 NOUGAT I'M COMPLETELY DISAPPOINTED THAT YOU RUINED MY ABILITY TO USE MY PHONE!!! YOU REMOVED A VERY CRUCIAL FEATURE THAT AFFECTS MY DAILY USE OF MOBILE DEVICE!!!

Yesterday, while on the road, I know I'm not suppose to be using any device while driving but during stoplights when I need to send a message. I need to compose the entire message word-for-word letter-for-letter instead of using my previously available preset shortcuts. I could've sent long messages within 5-10 seconds using my preset shortcuts but instead I needed to spend almost 5 minutes at the stoplight while people are honking behind me telling me it's already green. Someone will probably tell me to get an aftermarket app...WHY DID THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170227-070050.jpg
    Screenshot_20170227-070050.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 308
  • Screenshot_20170227-070105.jpg
    Screenshot_20170227-070105.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 307
  • Screenshot_20170227-070120.jpg
    Screenshot_20170227-070120.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 307
  • Screenshot_20170227-070154.jpg
    Screenshot_20170227-070154.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
You can disable the icon frames in Display settings.

And I know this is a very bad time to say this, but do remember to make a backup so that you can restore settings, apps and data should a major update unexpectedly wipe or change settings.

I've done major updates before and I absolutely know how drastically different they can be, so I understand how you feel. However, nothing is predictable. Like the Nougat OTA file that bricked my Moto Z, things sometimes just don't go the way you expect them to.

Crude Berry

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Losing sleep? Over an update? I know a good Dr to get you a xanax prescription if you need a referral.

I just moved over to Android after using iPhones for years and Blackberry before that. Through the years and changes, things have been different and changed drastically, even within the same platform, but I cant ever remember losing sleep over it. Way more important things in life to worry about besides having to relearn a couple things on a phone. I hope you can relax for your own sake.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You can still add quick responses. I understand that yours have been deleted, but you can take the time and add them back in. Go.to messages, the click on the 3 dots, upper right corner. Select settings and the quick responses.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Also as far as the brightness bar. You can enable to show on top, with one swipe. Pull the drop down twice, you'll see at the end of the brightness bar a down type icon, tap that, then select the option for show control on top.

Linda G2

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
I am so with you!
I hate the upgrade! The user interface is very hard to read and my email and facebook previews in the notification drop down panel are too tiny to read. Adjusting the font size of the device doesn't do anything to the font in the panel.
I'm a Mobile QA Analyst and have tested applications on many mobile devices. I have never seen a worse upgrade! Obviously they didn't QA it!
Please guys, fix the font problem! I rely on the messages in the drop-down panel!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I am so with you!
I hate the upgrade! The user interface is very hard to read and my email and facebook previews in the notification drop down panel are too tiny to read. Adjusting the font size of the device doesn't do anything to the font in the panel.
I'm a Mobile QA Analyst and have tested applications on many mobile devices. I have never seen a worse upgrade! Obviously they didn't QA it!
Please guys, fix the font problem! I rely on the messages in the drop-down panel!
Adjust the display density so that it's larger

Nougat is a very significant update, and results in a whole heap of changes, not just for Samsung phones but for most Android phones since it brings in a bevy of new features.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am so with you!
Go to settngs, then display. There you can adjust the size of the screen zoom, and font. This will make the the pulldown notifications larger and easier to read.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
the above comments are precisely why I abhor major updates. I've been griping about this issue for years but many don't seem to share my lack of enthusiasm for updates that change the look and actions of the UI for change-sakes-only reasons. This thread shows that I'm not alone in my disgust for updates that are forced on users of products that worked and looked they way they like, only to receive an update to destroy that enjoyment of the product. I'd be fine if UPDATES WERE OPTIONAL.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
the above comments are precisely why I abhor major updates. I've been griping about this issue for years but many don't seem to share my lack of enthusiasm for updates that change the look and actions of the UI for change-sakes-only reasons. This thread shows that I'm not alone in my disgust for updates that are forced on users of products that worked and looked they way they like, only to receive an update to destroy that enjoyment of the product. I'd be fine if UPDATES WERE OPTIONAL.
It's not really change-for-the-sake-of-change.

I've been using Nougat for over a month (admittedly on a Moto Z in near-AOSP flavor), and many of the changes do have purpose, such as the smaller display size being used to have more information density on a larger display.

I do get where you come from, but mobile software evolves much more quickly than desktop software, so the UI will never stay the same. I actually use 3 phones as dailies, of which all 3 have dramatically different UIs.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
100% of UI complaints should be brought up to Samsung and the OEM's. The only way the UI isn't going to have drastic changes is if they stop changing it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
100% of UI complaints should be brought up to Samsung and the OEM's. The only way the UI isn't going to have drastic changes is if they stop changing it.
That won't be anytime soon, however.

Design tastes change over time, and Google may also update their guidelines on UX design, like how manufacturers need to use Nougat's stock notification shade to get Google certification.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't have it yet and am uncertain as to if I want it as MM works very well and I'm used to it. This is why I don't have auto up dates enabled.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't have it yet and am uncertain as to if I want it as MM works very well and I'm used to it. This is why I don't have auto up dates enabled.

How is it possible to block OS updates without rooting? That was possible with Package Disabler Pro before they took that function out so that people couldn't block the update that killed the Note 7. I don't know of another method.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
It would, however, be nice to have the option to accept a major update or not. And to roll it back if you don't like it.

Probably not gonna happen on planet Google but agree it would be nice and make some sense to be able to test drive it a bit first. I think the main reason Google puts out a big new update on a yearly basis is to sell phones and plenty of people play into that scheme, chomping at the bit and can't wait to get the latest and greatest. A more prudent route to take might be to wait for the dust to settle. Check forums and see what others think of it and any issues they may be having. It's been so long waiting for it with Verizon's HTC 10 that I feel I know the ins and outs of it pretty well already. This and playing with a pixel a few times. I was kind of excited about it, but not so much anymore. Not in any hurry to upgrade. MM works great!

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
How is it possible to block OS updates without rooting? That was possible with Package Disabler Pro before they took that function out so that people couldn't block the update that killed the Note 7. I don't know of another method.

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. Was speaking of rooted devices. Not sure there is a method otherwise. Should be, but alas, probably not so. It can be delayed, but one needs to know it's there waiting in order to delay it.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
In my experience, none of the complaints I've heard other people took to Samsung, the provider, or Google have had any effect on the OS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon