The S7 Nougat Update Ruined my Phone

washuai

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
The nougat update has been a wreck.
I'm on tmobile, but I had the leisure of manual update and I was still messed over. Even if I had not opted for manual update code, it took me 3 days to clear the 1.5 GB of space needed, not updating would have been as simple as not enough space.

While resolved, I had key apps including Google play store not loading after the update and thankfully, I persisted or I would have lost things with a hasty f reset. I miss the kind of real backup one gets with root, more than OS and Ron controls.

I put Brightness on top and an ugly widget on my home screen, but that's not a true fix to having a menu button instead of auto toggle in the pull down.
The lack of turning on power saving at my designation already led me to a 5% warning without notice. I still need to take my time and possibly money now to go get an app for that.

At least I get to keep full disc encryption, I refuse to use their half baked file or fingerprint without having a pass lock before fingers are useful.

You want control, reliability. Go get something with 1-3 years proven track record, rooted and unlocked. Risk and innovation or reliability, control with less updates, including security updates.

Rlin5741

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Galaxy S7
SM-G930T
Originally from T-mobile. Unlocked using AT&T prepaid.

My biggest issue with the update is the fact that DOZENS OF MY PERSONALLY CREATED TEXT SHORTCUTS ARE ALL GONE!!!!! (I thought to myself: Fine, I'll just do it over and recreate them again) But wait.. THEY GOT RID OF THE TEXT SHORTCUTS ENTIRELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'VE SPENT SO MUCH TIME CREATING ALL OF THOSE AND I NEED THEM FOR MY DAILY LIFE/WORK/SCHOOL EVERYTHING IS GONE AND I DON'T HAVE A OPTION TO EVEN CREATE THEM AGAIN!!!!!!!

Got to spend a little time playing with settings - why did you go looking under physical keyboard for the dictionary when there is no physical keyboard on the phone? Press virtual keyboard, then you should have access to the dictionary. You do need Google Keyboard (now called Gboard) installed, as the article you linked to instructs you to do.

Attachments

• 3730.jpg
    3730.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 108

Cheyenne Lea

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
You can increase the display density to make the notifications larger and easier to read.

Thank you, I'm able to adjust the sms font and other fonts, but when you pull notifications down from the top - the font is terribly small, and can't be altered..

Also lollipop had text "favorites" you could put at the top ... instead of having to look up the most used contacts... ughh... I'll figure out something, maybe I can put contacts oon a screen as a "direct sms" ..

The "swipe" function sucks, I hate the new keyboard.... etc. etc... there's so much to hate...

My settings had DO NOT UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY... it did it anyway...

sigh...

kixxstudio2000

Mar 13, 2017
Visit site
I didn't see the answer but you can create text shortcuts by going

Settings, general management, language and input, virtual keyboard, samsung keyboard, predictive text, then select text shortcuts.

Took me forever to find it but hope it helps

sm21

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Horrible, horrible update... this not coming from somebody who's not got no idea about tech... obviously, their QA process was fairly non-existent... Mine an S7, updated last week, my GF's, an S7 Edge last week... both are slower than a dog! Shouldn't take 5-10 seconds for actions to execute... sometimes, it's bad enough, where on mine, it's a few minutes, and even once, had to force a power cycle! She's ready to go back to Apple, and frankly, after this update, I don't blame her... I can't have projects going live and NO PHONE! ... they basically semi-bricked my phone w/this update! Crashes everywhere, slowness always, hangs quite often... how in the world did this update get out there? And no real options but to try to spend MY valuable time, which I have little to none, to FIX their screw ups! ... NOT ACCEPTABLE! I'll personally, even as much as I don't like features of apple or non-features I should say, seriously consider alternatives next time... - Samsung Pay... great, oh wait, can't wait 5-7 minutes in line for it to SIMPLY SHOW UP ON MY SCREEN! - it's in ICU right now as I'm concerned, and not going to make it unless they get it fixed ASAP... :( sad...

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Horrible, horrible update... this not coming from somebody who's not got no idea about tech... obviously, their QA process was fairly non-existent... Mine an S7, updated last week, my GF's, an S7 Edge last week... both are slower than a dog! Shouldn't take 5-10 seconds for actions to execute... sometimes, it's bad enough, where on mine, it's a few minutes, and even once, had to force a power cycle! She's ready to go back to Apple, and frankly, after this update, I don't blame her... I can't have projects going live and NO PHONE! ... they basically semi-bricked my phone w/this update! Crashes everywhere, slowness always, hangs quite often... how in the world did this update get out there? And no real options but to try to spend MY valuable time, which I have little to none, to FIX their screw ups! ... NOT ACCEPTABLE! I'll personally, even as much as I don't like features of apple or non-features I should say, seriously consider alternatives next time... - Samsung Pay... great, oh wait, can't wait 5-7 minutes in line for it to SIMPLY SHOW UP ON MY SCREEN! - it's in ICU right now as I'm concerned, and not going to make it unless they get it fixed ASAP... :( sad...
How about doing a factory reset

angelcolefire

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
I also am KICKING myself for allowing the update to install. It's not just that everything is different, it's that it's no longer User friendly. But my biggest complaint is that my keyboard forgot me. It used to almost always know what I wanted to say, now it only gets it right 1 outta 3 words. And when I decided a word need to be capitalized I could touch the word and then touch the caps button and the word would show up in above my keyboard with a cap. Now when I go back and touch the word, THAT word isn't even THERE! Just OTHER words that it thinks I might have meant to spell instead.. is there ANY way to fix this? Otherwise, I need to know how to correctly (without losing all my stuff) flash the previous OS onto my phone. I think it was MM 6.0.1? Or was it 6.0.2? I'm not even sure... please help

Zeeshan Haider5

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Re: The S7 Nougat Update Ruined my Phone### FIXED

Please follow below to fix it nothing changed you have to create your shortcuts again .
Please update me if you got solution.

Settings > General Management > Language And Input > Virtual Keyboard > Samsung Keyboard > Predictive Text > Text Shortcuts.

I'm using Galaxy S7
SM-G930T
Originally from T-mobile. Unlocked using AT&T prepaid.

I woke up today to find out my phone magically updated software to 7.0 Nougat. I woke up to a nightmare...I can't use my phone like I used to anymore. They changed everything, icons, user interface, display, sizes!! They removed my settings/presets/customizations everything!!! This is not the same phone I bought over a year ago!! It's too different!!!

My biggest issue with the update is the fact that DOZENS OF MY PERSONALLY CREATED TEXT SHORTCUTS ARE ALL GONE!!!!! (I thought to myself: Fine, I'll just do it over and recreate them again) But wait.. THEY GOT RID OF THE TEXT SHORTCUTS ENTIRELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'VE SPENT SO MUCH TIME CREATING ALL OF THOSE AND I NEED THEM FOR MY DAILY LIFE/WORK/SCHOOL EVERYTHING IS GONE AND I DON'T HAVE A OPTION TO EVEN CREATE THEM AGAIN!!!!!!!

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:
How to create android and ios keyboard shortcuts

Other issues include:
WHY DID THEY MAKE THESE STUPID FRAMES FOR THE ICONS?!!
WHY DO I HAVE TO SWIPE THE TOP QUICK MENU DOWN TWICE TO ACCESS THE BRIGHTNESS?! WHEN BEFORE THE UPDATE YOU JUST SCROLL FROM TOP TO BOTTOM ONCE THEN YOU CAN CHANGE BRIGHTNESS QUICKLY!!
WHY DOES MESSAGING SHOW A BLANK AVATAR NEXT TO EACH MESSAGES WHEN I DON'T EVEN HAVE PHOTOS OF ALL OF MY CONTACTS?!!
WHY DID THEY MOVE THE MESSAGE ICON FROM THE FAR RIGHT (where I got used to) TO THE MIDDLE AFTER EACH END CALL?!!
WHY DID THEY REMOVE THE KEYBOARD CUSTOM TEXT SHORTCUTS?!!

These are only a few of many issues that for me was completely unwanted updates/changes.

Some of you are probably happy about the new updates. But please understand, I'm extremely upset about this and I'm genuinely stressed since yesterday morning. It's already 7:30am and I have not slept since my phone updated yesterday because this is heavily weighing on me and I'm suffering. I'm trying to figure out if by some miracle I could just revert my device back to before the update yesterday. The changes are too drastic that it's almost like a completely different OS. I've switched to Android from IOS about 6 or 7 years now and have been happy with no major problems...until now. ANDROID 7.0 NOUGAT I'M COMPLETELY DISAPPOINTED THAT YOU RUINED MY ABILITY TO USE MY PHONE!!! YOU REMOVED A VERY CRUCIAL FEATURE THAT AFFECTS MY DAILY USE OF MOBILE DEVICE!!!

Yesterday, while on the road, I know I'm not suppose to be using any device while driving but during stoplights when I need to send a message. I need to compose the entire message word-for-word letter-for-letter instead of using my previously available preset shortcuts. I could've sent long messages within 5-10 seconds using my preset shortcuts but instead I needed to spend almost 5 minutes at the stoplight while people are honking behind me telling me it's already green. Someone will probably tell me to get an aftermarket app...WHY DID THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cdon23

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Thank you, I'm able to adjust the sms font and other fonts, but when you pull notifications down from the top - the font is terribly small, and can't be altered..

Also lollipop had text "favorites" you could put at the top ... instead of having to look up the most used contacts... ughh... I'll figure out something, maybe I can put contacts oon a screen as a "direct sms" ..

The "swipe" function sucks, I hate the new keyboard.... etc. etc... there's so much to hate...

My settings had DO NOT UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY... it did it anyway...

sigh...

Not quite the same but you can pin your conversations with your favourites to the top. When in the conversation click the 3 lines at top RHS and down the bottom it has a 'Pin to top' option.

whosright

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I am Verizon, but this may work for you. To get the brightness slider on the first swipe...swipe down with 2 fingers to show all icons... on the bottom where you see the brightness slider> TAP THE LITTLE CHECK MARK to the right>...select> show brightness control above the notification panel... For getting the apps to show without the frames, go to settings> display> look for > icon frames> tap to open oprions> select> ICONS ONLY, not the with frames option. Hope this helps with these two issues.

whosright

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I am Verizon, but this may work for you. To get the brightness slider on the first swipe...swipe down with 2 fingers to show all icons... on the bottom where you see the brightness slider> TAP THE LITTLE CHECK MARK to the right>...select> show brightness control above the notification panel... For getting the apps to show without the frames, go to settings> display> look for > icon frames> tap to open oprions> select> ICONS ONLY, not the with frames option. Hope this helps with these two issues.
Best way to understand the Nougat update on the S-7 is ...Go on YouTube & watch some tutorial' s. There are tons of them...bookmark the ones you like so you can watch over if needed. I have all my settings the way I like them with Nougat. You will see several important things you need to change to save storage space & use less battery. I am 74 yrs old. If can do it anyone can. You tube can solve many issues... Watching tutorials will save you time & a lot of frustration!!

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Overall I like the update, however the big issue IMO is the Favorites mess in the phone, who the heck thought that was a good idea?

I do agree with having the choice to update or not. The MM update on my old LG G4 practically turned it into a pile of junk and I was infuriated. I turned off the auto update but the reminders drove me up a wall and I finally caved in...what a mistake. These updates shouldn't be forced upon us...after all Android is all about having a choice isn't it?

subyroo

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I have Galaxy S7 G930F and since the most recent software update/s Current Version: G930FXXS1DQC9 / G930FTEL1DQB5 / G930FXXU1DQB3, I have been unable to expand a contact to select either their home or cell (mobile) number.

Does anybody know of a fix or am I stuck :mad: with the contacts as they are?

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I have Galaxy S7 G930F and since the most recent software update/s Current Version: G930FXXS1DQC9 / G930FTEL1DQB5 / G930FXXU1DQB3, I have been unable to expand a contact to select either their home or cell (mobile) number.

Does anybody know of a fix or am I stuck :mad: with the contacts as they are?
Sometimes things vary by carrier, but I uploaded some screenshots that hopefully help.
927f05151f2a28b01af7f9e2682aa312.jpg
a21e2125102ba93712bc47987eba1143.jpg
30ab2c6824be8f40efcc95c90cb6172e.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21