Samsung Pay never works at Home Depot

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
My my Samsung pay never works at Home Depot. Does anyone else have this issue? They don't have a terminal that takes the standard payment swipe I have to use the magnetic chip thing and it never works at Home Depot. I always get a invalid swipe error. It works flawlessly everywhere else. Anyone else have this issue?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Home Depot and Lowes have recently updated their payment terminals (stupidly, IMHO) to forcefully request a chip for credit cards, no matter what. So if your credit card doesn't have a chip, it will no longer work at those locations either if they're already 'updated'.

Since Samsung Pay emulates only the magnetic stripe, the terminal doesn't accept the payment because it wants the chip.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Home Depot and Lowes have recently updated their payment terminals (stupidly, IMHO) to forcefully request a chip for credit cards, no matter what. So if your credit card doesn't have a chip, it will no longer work at those locations either if they're already 'updated'.

Since Samsung Pay emulates only the magnetic stripe, the terminal doesn't accept the payment because it wants the chip.
My card has a chip and Samsung pay works there. I've used it at plenty of newer terminals and older ones that need a chip-no issue. Sometimes I remove the case if there's any connection issue

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
My card has a chip and Samsung pay works there. I've used it at plenty of newer terminals and older ones that need a chip-no issue. Sometimes I remove the case if there's any connection issue

Yeah, it's only home depot where I have issues. It is an older store and terminals haven't changed in a few years.

filanto

May 19, 2016
Visit site

Samsung Pay can do both is what I thought

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Pay can do both is what I thought

Nope, Samsung Pay can do magnetic stripe and NFC, but the chip reader is still enclosed so they can't 'reach it' (sort of like magnetic stripe readers in gas pumps and ATM's...it's not that SP can't emulate the signal for those, it's that the receiver is enclosed and the signal won't reach it).

Also, the terminals at HD are not the problem, their internal payment system is. Again, not all stores have been 'upgraded' to that, but those who have (and this is with newer and older terminals) are not accepting CREDIT card payments without a chip now.

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My my Samsung pay never works at Home Depot. Does anyone else have this issue? They don't have a terminal that takes the standard payment swipe I have to use the magnetic chip thing and it never works at Home Depot. I always get a invalid swipe error. It works flawlessly everywhere else. Anyone else have this issue?

If the card reader is "chip only" then there is no way to use anything but a card with a chip. If the reader has a place to swipe, then it is not "chip only". An example of "chip only" would be a Square card reader (w/o nfc).

BTW, I went to HD today and used mine with no problem. The reader has a slot for chipped cards, and a track for magnetic strip cards.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If the card reader is "chip only" then there is no way to use anything but a card with a chip. If the reader has a place to swipe, then it is not "chip only". An example of "chip only" would be a Square card reader (w/o nfc).

BTW, I went to HD today and used mine with no problem. The reader has a slot for chipped cards, and a track for magnetic strip cards.

Not for long. Their terminals are NOT changing, their system is. Not sure why they chose to do that, or what drives which stores are doing it (maybe stores with higher fraud incidents?) but their system is forcing a chip-read on ALL credit cards. Not the terminal. So even if the terminal has a magnetic strip reader, when THEIR system detects a credit card, it will decline the transaction over magnetic swipe and request a chip one; if your card has no chip, it just won't work. Again, this is only in stores that have been updated to that. Lowe's, I believe, is more 'advanced' in their rollout of this horrible change (stores I've been to even have a sign on their terminals now explaining that).

dyphx

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
The wife & I attempted to use SP at Lowes last night (last day to obtain Gold status). The first attempt failed. She tried it again, and quickly got a notification on her phone indicating it was successful. However, the terminal did not respond immediately, and eventually timed out. The cashier asked if we used the phone, and confidently stated that they are not set up for mobile payments. It took a few minutes of arguing with 4 employees before they would cancel the transaction. The wife also received a notification of the cancellation on her phone. We left and went to Home Depot. No issues there.

I've had more trouble with cashiers assuming it won't work. I usually try to 'swipe' the phone before they get a chance to see what I'm doing, and start telling me "that doesn't work here."

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

I used my phone with a square reader several times, but it was attached to a tablet and had a space for sliding a card so I held my phone to that

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I used my phone with a square reader several times, but it was attached to a tablet and had a space for sliding a card so I held my phone to that
That's cool, didn't know you could that. I absolutely love Samsung Pay, It just works everywhere! That I go anyhow😉

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
That's cool, didn't know you could that. I absolutely love Samsung Pay, It just works everywhere! That I go anyhow😉
A couple weeks ago it even worked in this mall store where the card slider was OLD and part of the keyboard. The cashier was blown away-some fun entertainment lol

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
A couple weeks ago it even worked in this mall store where the card slider was OLD and part of the keyboard. The cashier was blown away-some fun entertainment lol

Just be careful with those haha. First time Samsung Pay came out in the US I tried using it at a Starbucks where the terminal is embedded onto their computer screens... bad idea. It worked, but because I had to reach behind the terminal, the girl freaked out and started yelling that I had hacked her computer with my phone and was gonna call the cops haha. Manager calmed her down. I got a free coffee for the mishap. Still funny, though.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Just be careful with those haha. First time Samsung Pay came out in the US I tried using it at a Starbucks where the terminal is embedded onto their computer screens... bad idea. It worked, but because I had to reach behind the terminal, the girl freaked out and started yelling that I had hacked her computer with my phone and was gonna call the cops haha. Manager calmed her down. I got a free coffee for the mishap. Still funny, though.
Omg really????

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup. It was scary at first but funny after I realized there was no way I was in trouble. But yeah, the first few weeks it was more time explaining to people that it worked (and watching their faces when it did...). Now I do find a few places where they say it won't work because they think it's Apple Pay.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Yup. It was scary at first but funny after I realized there was no way I was in trouble. But yeah, the first few weeks it was more time explaining to people that it worked (and watching their faces when it did...). Now I do find a few places where they say it won't work because they think it's Apple Pay.
"I don't think we take that" "That won't work here" "that's not setup here" "what is that??"

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Why aren't more merchants moving to a similar system? As I understand it, fraud liability is greater on the less secure party; signature-only is considered less secure than chip and signature, so I get why HD and Lowe's would be doing this.

I wonder if contactless payment providers are already a part of the fraud liability game, and if this decision by HD and/or Lowe's came about because providers weren't willing to accept any or a large enough share of responsibility.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar