Samsung's Nougat weather widget change (returning to previous one?)

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
While the Weather Underground is my preferred weather app, I preferred the minimalist Samsung native weather widget. HOWEVER, I was playing around with it today and deleted it. When I went to put it back, there is now only a 4x2 option. Previously, I was using a 2x1 option. While I can resize it, it cuts off some of the text, and I just don't like the look of it.

I'm guessing I'm S.O.L., but are there any thoughts on getting the old widget back? I'm kicking myself for deleting it now instead of just shifting it to a different home page for a bit

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
With Nougat?
Yes
b3a295919200d0222bb8bcbcce6b0de9.jpg

Last edited:

jano23

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
According to Samsung tech support it might a variation in carriers. I am on Verizon and I do not have the 5x1 widget option

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
According to Samsung tech support it might a variation in carriers. I am on Verizon and I do not have the 5x1 widget option
I just happen to be with Verizon also, but I do have it. I did do a factory reset, maybe that had something to do with it.

jano23

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Mine is also showing other bizarre behavior. If I apply a light Samsung theme, the widget font color stays white making it almost imposiible to read. I tried clearing cache and data in Settings > Applications > Application manager.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Hmm. I also have Verizon. I have the regular assortment of weather widgets, including the 2x1 widget, only when I use TouchWiz launcher. When I set Action Launcher or Nova Launcher, I have just the 5x1. On Marshmallow, I was able to select the 2x1 with all my launchers.

MKairys

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
My experience also. 2x1 + 5x1 with Touchwiz, only 5x1 with Nova. However I was able to resize the 5x1 to 2x1, and with Nova's "padding" added it looks okay...

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
My experience also. 2x1 + 5x1 with Touchwiz, only 5x1 with Nova. However I was able to resize the 5x1 to 2x1, and with Nova's "padding" added it looks okay...
I only had the 5x1 widget in Nova as well. I also resized it with padding just like you did and it was acceptable. Good thing to mention! I didn't think of that earlier.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
This variation in the weather widget is really odd. I'm using Nova on an AT&T phone, and again the only option now is 4x2. I did find, as suggested above, that if I add padding after resizing it, it no longer cuts off some of the text, but it does cut off the refresh circle if I take it down to 2x1. I also still don't like the look of it as much as before the Nougat update. Still wish I would have never deleted it. Never crossed my mind I might not be able to bring it back.

I'll either have to used the native weather widget at 3x1 or switch over to the Weather Underground widget. I just hate that the latter has no fully transparent option.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I don't love AccuWeather's widget selection, but you can make its background transparent.

Yes, I know. That's one of the reasons I liked. It offered a cleaner look. Just wish the other changes hadn't been made.

It's the Weather Underground widget that I wish had the ability to be fully transparent.

Judy android

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for asking this question. I had unintentionally deleted the weather widget and didn't know what to call it (didn't know it was the *Samsung* weather widget...) . Your question led me to the instructions for getting it back.

Now, I want the weather widget to always show my home location regardless of where I am -- any way to do this, or do I need another widget?

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for asking this question. I had unintentionally deleted the weather widget and didn't know what to call it (didn't know it was the *Samsung* weather widget...) . Your question led me to the instructions for getting it back.

Now, I want the weather widget to always show my home location regardless of where I am -- any way to do this, or do I need another widget?

Tap on the widget and go into settings. From there turn on Use current location.

MKairys

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I just realized the current widget doesn't have the option to add multiple cities. I went back to TouchWiz, where I still find a 2X1 weather and a 5X1 weather + clock, and the 2x1 still has multiple cities.

So it seems there's an entirely different widget with Nova. How can this be? I thought widgets were part of the application.

MKairys

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Here is the answer from Nova. I tried myself, with Google Now launcher chosen at random, and got the same result.

Hello,

Unfortunately that's a widget that Samsung blocks from 3rd party launchers as Kevin just tested this on his Galaxy S7 on several launchers including Nova.

Cliff Wade
Customer Support Manager

Michael Kairys wrote:

Samsung Galaxy S7 has a builtin Weather app with two widgets, 2x1 Weather and 5x1 Weather + Clock. With Marshmallow these were both available under either Nova or TouchWiz. With Nougat they are both available under TouchWiz as before, but under Nova, there is only one widget, a 5x1 with weather only. Furthermore this widget has limited functionality; you cannot add additional cities for example.

How can I get back the original 2x1 widget, with multiple cities?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance