03-30-2017 06:42 AM
72 123
tools
    The Nougat install went pretty well on my S7. A couple of apps disappeared (guessing they were incompatible with Nougat), and some icons disappeared from my Nova Launcher, but were easy to add back in.

The only real "problem" I have with Nougat is the extremely small font size on the Notification Shade.
    03-23-2017 04:48 PM
    Contrarian here. I don't appreciate all the trouble I had (hours spent, including an unwanted FR due to the update (done thru my PC, when the phone was sitting on the update OS screen from it's own update app) NEVER getting rid of a screen that said it was downloading the update! I finally gave up and did a FR reset. Then I had trouble on the new OS getting any of my many backups for Nova launcher to work. And there have been other issues, all of which caused me to spend more hours than I care to count.

For all that effort, I have honestly not found ONE feature that I think is compelling. My phone worked fine prior to the update.

But if you out there on the forum like the update's features, that's fine--I'm not arguing with you.
    03-23-2017 06:04 PM
    At first I was fine with Nougat. Over the past few days however, I've come across a number of things that seem to have broken with the update.

I can no longer attach a file from Dropbox when composing an e-mail; Dropbox simply isn't present as an option.

My Netflix app no longer gives me the option to cast to Chromecast. Other apps still do...?

I'm not a fan of how the dialler lacks a Favorites tab. I constantly have to scroll back to the top to make a call to my favorites.

I also dislike that folders don't close on their own when closing the app; you're back in the folder rather than your home screen.

"Google Play Services has stopped"... I get this error many, many times per day.

Smart Lock seems to be flaky - about as bad as I found it a year ago when I got my phone. It shaped up over the months after a few MM updates, but now it's bad again.

BT connectivity seems flaky as well. Takes longer to connect with my vehicles than before.

It seems like this update is half-baked, at least for me.
    03-23-2017 08:20 PM
    The Nougat install went pretty well on my S7. A couple of apps disappeared (guessing they were incompatible with Nougat), and some icons disappeared from my Nova Launcher, but were easy to add back in.

The only real "problem" I have with Nougat is the extremely small font size on the Notification Shade.
    Can't the font size be increased on the Notification Shade? I already have a hard enough time seeing some parts of the phone's text, smaller is a deal breaker.
    03-24-2017 02:05 AM
    Thanks for all the replies! I'm normally an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of gal but was curious about N. All the hate threads made me wonder if ANYone liked it.
    03-24-2017 02:10 AM
    Lol! You sure got a few responses!
    Personally I don't like Nougat, it crashed my phone on install, they had to factory reset it which is a major pain in the butt!
    The battery life isn't any better really unless I dumb it right down.
    The updates control is gone, I can't choose not to update, and there are other useful things that they stopped.
    The UI is boring, the whole thing is reminiscent of a school project.

That said, there are good things too, so it's not all bad. Just the same, my S6 is staying on M.
    03-24-2017 10:53 PM
    Increase the screen zoom if you want the notification shade font larger then reduce the font size. Also you can try Samsung Sans for the font, it's a little larger.

Some must have features of nougat for me was the better doze and lack of drain. Blue light filter, and the bundled notifications together with the nicer notification shsde.
    03-24-2017 11:59 PM
    The battery life isn't any better really unless I dumb it right down.
    I can't STAND a dumb smartphone! If I wanted a dumbphone, I wouldn't have bought a smartphone Just a little peeve of mine...people buying smartphones and disabling everything so their battery will last longer LOL
    It's tempting but I think I'll wait awhile for the OS to become more stable and some features fixed/changed.
    03-26-2017 01:39 AM
    Yes, I love Nougat. As a whole, no issues.
    03-26-2017 10:23 AM
    My Netflix app no longer gives me the option to cast to Chromecast. Other apps still do...?
    this is a Netflix issue.
    I have the same issues across many devices, LG, Moto, Samsung tablet running paranoid Android. Usually just clearing the app works, I have also had to reinstall.
    03-26-2017 12:26 PM
    I have a few complaints, mostly battery life and random force closes on apps, the occasional freezing up. Although I'm starting to think it's a worn out refurbished phone. It even crashes antutu when I tried to run a battery test.

But, overall it's a great upgrade that was much needed. Clean, efficient, no gaudy colors. The usual apps that were good still are, calendar, mail. The bad are still bad, but a bit better like messages, notes, files. The Samsung launcher is still just as annoying, no home screen looping seriously, it's much faster and lighter. The themes are great especially with the addition of standalone icons that can't be used with Nova, however.
    One addition I really like is the local places in the phone app. Start typing a local business and it will look it up. And the double tap to open previous window.
    03-26-2017 12:44 PM
    "One addition I really like is the local places in the phone app. Start typing a local business and it will look it up. And the double tap to open previous window."

I'm not understanding what you are referring to re local places in phone app. If I open the dialer, and search for a store there, I don't get any results. it only searches Contacts. Please someone explain?

And double-tapping where/when?
    03-26-2017 04:00 PM

And double-tapping where/when?
    If you double tap the recent key it switches between the previous and current app.
    03-26-2017 04:19 PM
    "One addition I really like is the local places in the phone app. Start typing a local business and it will look it up. And the double tap to open previous window."

[COLOR=#363636][FONT=Mona1]I'm not understanding what you are referring to re local places in phone app. If I open the dialer, and search for a store there, I don't get any results. it only searches Contacts. Please someone explain?
    This is what happens for me, I had to allow location access. I also have TMobile.
    Attached Thumbnails Are There Any HAPPY Nougat Users?-36890.jpg  
    03-26-2017 05:17 PM
    I enabled location and also "improved accuracy". searching for several items such as "gas" or "mcdonalds" = "no results found". I'm on Verizon.
    03-27-2017 06:14 AM
    Only issue I have is I can no longer check all my emails with stock app. There's no tab or button to go back and forth. I had to disable all but one because it always would switch on its on.
    03-27-2017 12:27 PM
    I upgraded my S7 to Nougat within hours of purchasing it and have no regrets so far. I'm not sure if it is the hardware or the OS, but the battery life is way better than I ever got on my S5.
    03-28-2017 03:16 PM
    I just got the update yesterday and I have to say I wish I hadn't. I wish I could have stayed with marshmallow. My battery dies quicker now. My phone has been off the charger for about 5 hours. Minimal use and I'm at 64%. Not to mention the "fresh" white look reminds me of apple and I hate Apple phones.
    1812dave likes this.
    03-28-2017 04:09 PM
    Verry unhappy about battery draining..
    03-28-2017 04:59 PM
    Even my wife hates the update and she usually doesn't complain about updates. I agree the look of nougat is awful. Too sparse looking if that's the right word
    03-28-2017 09:27 PM
    I'm very happy with Nougat. Been using it on my T-mobile S7 for over a month. Battery drain is usually less than 1% while dozing, I can now stop my phone from automatically connecting to certain wifi networks without deleting them, I can turn the resolution down to 720p to save battery, I now have the option to launch an app "just once" instead of "always", etc.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that people complain about it. The only kind of negative thing for me was that I had to re-train myself to do some things a different way with Nougat compared to Marshmallow, like using two fingers to pull down the notification shade.
    03-30-2017 01:27 AM
    Overall I welcome the upgrade. It fixed the annoying permission issue (screen overlay detected) so I can use the app Swipe Home Button.

It now also lets me disable the split screen option in Settings. As for the look, it's personal preference, and I don't really care how it looks as long as I can still find what I need.

I did do a factory reset and rebuild everything from scratch, which I think everyone should do before they complain things are not optimal. People need to realize that this is Android and Samsung (not iOS and Apple), you shouldn't expect OTA update to be smooth and flawless. This is not to say Android is inferior, but recognizing the fact that Android exercises less control over 3rd party apps and thus it is more likely to run into problem.
    LineKill likes this.
    03-30-2017 06:42 AM
72 123