Nougat for Canada rolling out

legin111

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Just got my update this morning on Telus, Toronto. So far so good, install was very quick for a big update, Took all of a half hour.

After messing around with the new OS , Im really liking it.
Will see how the battery is after optimizing all the apps, syncing, and updates

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If there was a new kernel (most likely) I would wait a couple days before giving final judgement on the battery life.

legin111

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
If there was a new kernel (most likely) I would wait a couple days before giving final judgement on the battery life.

Yeah I'm gonna do that. I know how funny the battery can get with new updates. One thing I'm having trouble with is u can't change my keyboard...theres no default setting at all and when I use the Samsung keyboard and start typing, there's still no popup on the bottom right of the keyboard....any suggestions?

legin111

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I'm gonna do that. I know how funny the battery can get with new updates. One thing I'm having trouble with is u can't change my keyboard...theres no default setting at all and when I use the Samsung keyboard and start typing, there's still no popup on the bottom right of the keyboard....any suggestions?

So I got a quick fix for switching my keyboard....I disabled the Samsung keyboard with package disabler, but when I want to switch back and forth between keyboards, I gotta shut off all the keyboards downloaded and leave the one I want to use checked. Can someone tell me their steps for switching? I just don't have the default switcher anymore.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Could someone with a Canadian S7 or S7edge running Nougat please check something for me? Does the short codes to change CSC still works? *#272*Phone’s IMEI Here#

That is, input the above using your phone dialer, and see if it gives you a menu to change carrier code. Don't worry about having to change anything, you can hit 'cancel' after the menu pops up.

legin111

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Could someone with a Canadian S7 or S7edge running Nougat please check something for me? Does the short codes to change CSC still works? *#272*Phone’s IMEI Here#

That is, input the above using your phone dialer, and see if it gives you a menu to change carrier code. Don't worry about having to change anything, you can hit 'cancel' after the menu pops up.

Doesn't work for me...My phone tries to dial the number

H2oflyer

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
Got it yesterday on Rogers and I like it. Install went smooth and battery optimization is fantastic. Saves all the work of closing apps and cleaning cache all the time.

legin111

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. Looks like I'll be waiting some more for the XAC (unlocked version) update.

I don't know if this matters but i bought straight from Samsung unlocked, but as soon as i put a Sim in the phone it gets locked to that carrier. So i really don't know if Canadian phones are truly unlocked.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this matters but i bought straight from Samsung unlocked, but as soon as i put a Sim in the phone it gets locked to that carrier. So i really don't know if Canadian phones are truly unlocked.
They all do that. It is a dumb way Samsung used to get the phone to install whatever is needed for each carrier. However, when you want to switch carrier one day, you should be able to enter the short codes, and switch. It will do a factory reset and you'll lose all data. That's why I called it dumb.

My S7 is on XAC (no carrier), since I have a non-Canadian sim in it (Roammobility). It has zero carrier bloatware.

tuscanybay

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
My S7 is on the "zero bloatware" XAC version and it received Nougat today. I can confirm that the *#272* short codes no longer works.

By the way, my S7 on Nougat does not have Google Assistant. Any thing I could do to get it?

legin111

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
My S7 is on the "zero bloatware" XAC version and it received Nougat today. I can confirm that the *#272* short codes no longer works.

By the way, my S7 on Nougat does not have Google Assistant. Any thing I could do to get it?

From what i hear it doesn't matter if you have nougat, all though it should. It's a mass roll out to everyone....I had it before i got nougat, on marshmallow