Galaxy S7 Pros and Cons

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
We're starting an idea suggested by @sfoLAX. A simple thread that lists everyone's pros and cons about a specific device for the purpose of a potential buyer who wants a simplified look at current owner's opinions of it.

Please do the following:
1. Keep posts to a listing of pros and cons.
2. You may list as many of either as you like.
3. If you would like, you may add an overall purchase suggestion.

Example:
Pros:
-Good battery life
-Sleek design
-Beautiful screen

Cons:
-Physical size too big

Overall: I would recommend buying this device.

buelowp

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Pros:
  • Fast
  • Good size, but I have big hands. I like the overall form factor.
  • Nougat is growing on me
  • Samsung Pay, with the points and credit card emulation is all I use now.

Cons
  • Without a case, it's likely that any time you grab the phone, it will unlock and start something (I have swipe to unlock with my watch enabled). This is super annoying for me. I don't like cases though, and I need secure unlock for work email, so I'm sorta stuck.
  • Nougat update was a hassle. I think if Nougat was the original OS I got used to, I would have been pretty happy from the beginning. It took a few days to get stabilized, and then T-Mo pushed a security update, and things went wonky again. Stabilizing now, but I liked Marshmallow better.

I suspect in a few months, I won't remember Marshmallow at all, and Nougat will be the de facto standard for me.

cconn

Banned
Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
Pros:
- AMOLED Display is the best on the market.
- Fits very well in the hand.
- Great build quality.
- Waterproof.
- Samsung's plethora of features.
- Quick crop of screenshots and quick access to the copy and paste clipboard. These may seem miniscule, but they're probably the handiest features on the device.
- Enhanced battery saving features.
- Micro SD slot.
- Wireless charger.

Cons
- Samsung's poor optimization of their hardware leaves the device operating slower than some other similar devices.
- Samsung's UI feels heavy compared to more pure versions of Android.
- Battery life isn't as good as some larger phones (such as the S7 Edge).
- Fingerprint reader isn't as fast as other devices.
- 5.1" display is starting to see small compared to the displays on phones like the LG G6, S8, etc.
- Slow to receive software updates (although that's an issue practically every non-Pixel phone has)

I think that's it.