Resolution, Settings Changed After Restart

deejaynyc

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S7 running Android version 7/Nougat, on T-Mobile. Three days ago, I shut off my phone while on a flight, and restarted it when the plane landed. When the phone came to life, various things had gone wrong. The resolution had dropped to the point that icons were huge, and much of the screen was missing. The stock keyboard, rather than my preferred Swype/Dragon keyboard, was running. Various apps would not run. Even the time entry for the alarm had changed. Efforts to fix each issue -- reset the resolution (it is showing as FHD, but it is actually far lower than that, and attempting to reset simply crashes the app), reset the keyboard (it appears to accept the change, but does not actually change the keyboard), restart the apps -- have thus far been unsuccessful.

For what it's worth, this does not appear to be related to T-Mobile's rollout out of Android 7/Nougat last week. That update appeared to go smoothly enough. I am aware that Nougat can lower resolution (to FHD) to save battery but it looks like something much odder is going on here.

I am trying to avoid the dreaded factory reset, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

DJ

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Mmmm sounds unwell... First step usually a wipe cache partition... Maybe if it persists, start up in safe mode to see if some app is being frisky...

DZCALI Khan

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like a zoom issue. Check your visibility and accessibility settings. Don't quite know is how it's happened but it sounds like your phone has magnified itself. Just search magnifier in settings and see what you find.

deejaynyc

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Tim, Dzcali, thanks for the suggestions. I've tried them, without luck.

Tim, I wiped the cache partition, and rebooted, but there was no change in the "zoom in" issue. Similarly, when I booted into Safe Mode, the phone still appears zoomed in.

Dzcali, it does appear to be a zoom issue, but that would not explain all the other changes, e.g., the keyboard change, the crashing apps... In any event, I went into the magnification settings, and they are all (apparently) normal.

So, I now find myself essentially hoping there will be some other approach besides the factory reset.

Thanks again.

DJ

DZCALI Khan

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Dzcali, it does appear to be a zoom issue, but that would not explain all the other changes, e.g., the keyboard change, the crashing apps... In any event, I went into the magnification settings, and they are all (apparently) normal.

What happens if you activate and deactivate magnification?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Last year one of the reasons I had to do a factory reset was that concert hall sound mode keep turning itself on. There are many weird things that can happen that require a factory reset. I'm afraid yours is one of them

yobosaeyo

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Dzcali -- I tried that. The magnification window pops up (and magnifies to whatever extent you set it to), but upon resetting it to normal, there is no change in the overall zoom level.

DJ

Was trying the above listed as mine did same thing today after getting really hot and turned off to cool. I switched to easy mode and screen went normal so I switched back of easy mode and screen is normal again. I did clear the cache though as I read it could have to do with the overheating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34