Google Maps no longer talks over phone speaker when bluetooth connected

chuck95

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
In my car, connected to bluetooth, before I upgraded my S7 to nougat, there was an option in Google Maps to specify that it should speak directions over the phone's internal speaker rather than over the car radio's bluetooth. After the upgrade, this option no longer exists, or if it does, I can't find it anymore!

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Screenshot_20170413-121330 nav settings.jpg

Last edited:

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Once you connect to what your device sees as external speakers, the internal one is disconnected to avoid reverberation issues. Not sure why you would want them both going, can you not hear the car audio? In any case, they probably took that function away with Nougat.

chuck95

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Tim, the way I used to use it, the option was to play the maps directions voice out of the phone speaker instead of over the car speakers, not both. This way, if I was playing the car's FM radio while bluetooth was connected in the background, I would hear the directions through the phone, instead of not at all. Also, if I was listening to music from an app on the phone through bluetooth, I believe the maps app would play the directions out of the phone speaker without interrupting the music.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I completely understand the OP concerns. My vehicle needs me to link to BT if I want it (it does not link automatically which I like ). So when I quickly need maps I used to just say okay Google navigate to xyz and it would start over phone speaker.

Now I have to hit my vehicle media button say "Bluetooth audio" then fiddle with my phone to stop the last crazy song I was playing on it. And then adjust the media volume.

It was perfect before. My work around might be to kill BT if I need to navigate.

Crude Berry

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
It's under Bluetooth. Click the little gear wheel next to your Bluetooth device and turn "media" off.

What is extremely irritating to me is the fact that no matter what I try it won't give directions over Bluetooth in my particular vehicle. I'm not sure why but it was never a problem with any other phone. If I leave media on in the Bluetooth menu, when connected to my truck I don't hear anything so for me this is the only way to actually get audio directions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170415-211127.jpg
    Screenshot_20170415-211127.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 26

s2800021

Apr 16, 2017
Visit site
It's under Bluetooth. Click the little gear wheel next to your Bluetooth device and turn "media" off.

I could have missed some steps somewhere as I was not able to locate the 'little gear' setting wheel under the Bluetooth device (s7edge). Any guidance will be appreciated.

Crude Berry

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Settings-bluetooth- there will be a list of Bluetooth devices that have been paired with the phone. Beside each one there is a "gear" icon.

s2800021

Apr 16, 2017
Visit site
Yes, this is it, finally got it. The 'media audio' and 'call audio' options will only appear under the phone 'Bluetooth' settings when the phone is paired with the car media system. And as described by our learned friend here, just un-click the 'media audio' that all work as a charm.

No fault with the maps apps and no issue with android OS upgrade to v7!

Johnny Cakes1

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

What is extremely irritating to me is the fact that no matter what I try it won't give directions over Bluetooth in my particular vehicle. I'm not sure why but it was never a problem with any other phone. If I leave media on in the Bluetooth menu, when connected to my truck I don't hear anything so for me this is the only way to actually get audio directions.

yes this is not an acceptable solution as it prevents you from playing any music or streaming anything from your phone..

Johnny Cakes1

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

yes this is not an acceptable solution as it prevents you from playing any music or streaming anything from your phone..

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, this is simply a workaround. Why did they remove the option in the first place? At least Waze still gives the option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol