S7 screen turns off and off repeatedly during calls using speaker/headphone

index411

May 3, 2017
Visit site
Folks,
have a strange problem with my AT&T S7 (Nougat, non-rooted).
When I'm on a call (either on speakerphone or with the headphones connected), the screen times out and turns off, but immediately turns on again. Even if I turn off the screen using the side button, it keeps turning on, draining my battery during longer calls
This cycle happens throughout the entire duration of the call.
This started happening sometime after the nougat update - not sure when exactly, but I've only really noticed it the last few weeks.

Things i've tried:
- clearing the stock dialer cache
- complete factory reset
- cleaning the glass on top of the proximity sensor
- blowing compressed air into all orifices of the phone

FYI - I'm using the stock dialer (and launcher) and the phone is not rooted (mostly stock). There are no scratches on the glass (the glass on top of the sensors is clean)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Funny you should mention this. My wife's S7 is turning the screen back on during a speakerphone call, about 5 seconds after it is turned off using the POWER button. I tried numerous times to get the screen to stay OFF. Finally, I found a workaround: while on the CALL screen, hit the HOME button to return to the HOME screen. THEN hit the POWER button. The screen should stay OFF during the call.

index411

May 3, 2017
Visit site
interesting, i'll try that. Two phones out of millions isn't a trend...yet. But maybe it's a SW issue rather than a sensor/HW issue (hopefully)

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My phone does it now also. We just got a new update this morning so I guess that's what causes the problem

index411

May 3, 2017
Visit site
good find. I just did the proximity sensor test and mine is working as it should. So it may be another app causing the issue. Glad it's not just us..

WallaceD

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
"It's not a bug, it's a feature!"

I think this behavior is by design. Samsung wants us to have immediate access to the dialpad, in my opinion. I don't particularly think this is useful, and as previously noted pressing home will force the phone to behave "normally".

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Used speakerphone this morning while my S7 was on wireless charger - did the same thing. Screen would go black and then immediately come back on again. Thinking it might be due to the fact that the sensor isn't getting covered (what makes the screen go dark when you bring the phone to your ear). Just a thought, and didn't test it out by trying to cover it.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
This behavior started with the security update we just got. There is no good reason for it to be draining our phones batteries while we are in a call

index411

May 3, 2017
Visit site
This behavior started with the security update we just got. There is no good reason for it to be draining our phones batteries while we are in a call

I'm on AT&T and I haven't received a security update for quite a while (probably 2 months now). I believe that's when the problem started, too.
Which carrier are you on?

index411

May 3, 2017
Visit site
Just received a security update notice this morning. i'll update later today/night and report back if the screen behavior during speaker/headphone calls has changed.

index411

May 3, 2017
Visit site
well, looks like it's fixed (for now). Just installed the april OTA security update from AT&T last night and the behavior is back to normal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463