My Galaxy s7 has lost several contacts. It seems to be my most longstanding contacts (not recent entries). When I log into my Google account on a computer, they are all still there. They are only missing on my phone. If I re-enter one of them on my phone, it creates a duplicate in my Google contacts online. I have have checked the settings, and everything is synced correctly.
    05-17-2017 01:47 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! When the contacts disappear, what happens if you search for one of those contacts? Also, are you sure those contacts have something in the Name field, or did they only have something in the Business or Company field? In my experience, contacts that lack a Name might not show up properly.
    05-17-2017 04:17 PM
    Thanks for the reply. When I search for them, nothing comes up. They do all have names in the name field. They were all working until yesterday. Then a bunch of people just disappeared. They are still in my Google account contacts when I log on online.
    05-17-2017 05:03 PM
    In the Contacts app, tap Menu>Contacts to Display. What's selected there?
    05-17-2017 05:24 PM
    It has "All Contacts" selected.
    05-17-2017 09:35 PM
    Try wiping the cache partition: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-30240
    05-18-2017 02:25 AM
    I'm afraid it didn't help. Any other ideas? Thanks for all your help, BTW.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-18-2017 09:00 AM
    Hmm. Is it the same contacts every time, or does it vary?

You could try removing your Google account from the phone, then adding it back again.
    05-18-2017 10:46 AM
    Yes, it's the same group of contacts. I tried removing my Google account and adding it back again like you said. Still the same problem.
    05-18-2017 12:37 PM
    Trying to find some common thread -- are those contacts all from one specific Gmail label? Or are they Starred favorites?
    05-18-2017 03:54 PM
    Ok, soooo... I figured it out. Sort of.

When I log onto my Google account online on my laptop, and I go to my contacts, I noticed that when I search for a contact that is missing on my phone, I could pull it up online. However, if I just scrolled down to find them instead of using the "Search" feature, then I realized that they were missing from my online Google account as well. In other words, the missing contacts weren't listed in my "Contacts", but if I "searched" for them, they could be pulled up.

Then I noticed that if I went to the pull down menu, there at the bottom was the option to "go to the old version." When I did this, the menu changed from just "Contacts" to now showing two sets of contacts. One listed as "My Contacts" and the other listed as "Other Contacts." All my missing contacts were under "Other Contacts." I was able to select them all and "Add to my contacts" which added them back to my main list and then populated them back on my phone.

I have no idea how this happened to begin with, so I don't know if this fix will last, or if I will have a recurrence in the future.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-19-2017 03:01 PM
    Excellent detective work! I'm not sure what the Other Contacts represents, either. Let me see if I can find out more ...

EDIT: I did a little digging, and saw that the Other Contacts are still present in the newer Google Contacts interface -- it's in the More menu on the left. Basically, it appears that Other Contacts include anyone you've ever emailed on Gmail. So it's possible that those missing contacts were never in your actual Google Contacts, but instead were remembered by Google (since you emailed them at some point), and stored in the Other Contacts category.

This article might help: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2459858,00.asp?
    05-20-2017 05:05 PM
    Trying to find some common thread -- are those contacts all from one specific Gmail label? Or are they Starred favorites?
    Same problem. I checked to see if it updated without me (I have updates on manual but obviously it updated on its own still because now my texts have an autocorrect function I never had before, and this notification to download some samsung update via google playstore came up) and looks like it did something a couple days ago.

It's all my older contacts too. My friend says my phone number when I call him comes up as the phone number, not my usual photo and name that it displays when I normally call.
    05-22-2017 01:13 PM
    Same problem. I checked to see if it updated without me (I have updates on manual but obviously it updated on its own still because now my texts have an autocorrect function I never had before, and this notification to download some samsung update via google playstore came up) and looks like it did something a couple days ago.

It's all my older contacts too. My friend says my phone number when I call him comes up as the phone number, not my usual photo and name that it displays when I normally call.
    Screenshot below. Not sure if its authentic or what on earth is going on.
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy 7 losing contacts.-screenshot_20170522-141427.jpg  
    05-22-2017 01:17 PM
    That doesn't look like the Play Store -- are you sure it isn't Samsung's Galaxy Apps Store?

Also, did you read Perezink's previous post about finding the contacts in Other Contacts?
    05-22-2017 05:33 PM