Broken Screen / Digitizer - Need to unlock / screen mirror on PC

weim01

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
Hi all, I have an s7 which today the screen and digitizer has stopped working, the phone is still functional otherwise, I can answer calls if I connect headphones and use the button on there, I can also hear notifications going off.

I need to save all my data etc......but the issue I have is the phone is locked via pattern and have no screen functionality.

I have read many of a thread, and what I can see is if I install ADB and then run Vysor, I should be able to control the app on there and install sidesync where I can then transfer all data etc to my new device.

The problem I'm having is that I cannot see my device in adb or Vysor. Could someone please offer some guidance on how to get my device listed. It seems my devices is listed as an S7 in device manager, and I think it should be android device..........

I'm also pretty sure USB debugging is not enabled on my device........

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If your phone still has a valid data connection and you didn't disable Remote Controls and did sign into your Samsung account on the device at set up, then you can use Samsung's Find My Mobile site to unlock the phone. Then you should be able to back up using USB.
https://findmymobile.samsung.com

If you want to use SideSync to see your phone's screen on your computer and use it as if you had the phone with you, then, after you unlock with FindMyMobile, go to the Play Store's web page (play.google.com) and install SideSync from there (select your S7). Then, install SideSync in your computer, and if you can still connect headphones to your phone, use the voice assistant (long-press on the action button in your headset) and ask it to Open SideSync. It MIGHT work (can't remember if it asks for anything else on the phone before it connects to the computer).

weim01

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
I have never signed into a samsung account so this isn't an option for me unfortunately.

The only way I could see to get my phone to display on the PC was via the Vysor and ADB route but cannot see my device listed.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
do you have a password on your phone? If so, since the first thing it does when you tap the home button to unlock is ask you for it, you can connect a USB keyboard using the OTG USB Adapter that came with your phone. Type in the password, and the phone will unlock, allowing for USB connections to your computer. If you had a PIN or pattern, that won't work though. Maybe for PIN but not sure.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I think you're out of luck. Adb needs the phone to be unlocked before it can be seen. Also, screen mirroring for the first time needs USB debugging to be enabled, and you need the screen to be active to enable USB debugging. Sidesync would have helped you if you ran it once before, since it can mirror a locked phone to pc and you can unlock the pattern using a mouse. However since you haven't used it before, it's not accessible to you.

The only routes left is to find a way to replace the screen without doing a factory reset, which means you do it on your own or a repair stall.

Chalk this up to experience after and remember to always make backups, and one of the first things you need to do is run Sidesync to mirror to PC at least once while the phone is fully functional.

weim01

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
I know I wish I had run Sidesync, would've just been the headache of a new phone rather than data settings etc.

I have been looking at firmware flashing with odin......these are all youtube videos and are a bit lacking in detail. i have also seen a tool called dr fone but not sure how if at all effective this would be in my situation.

The point I think they all miss in these youtube videos is to put in download mode you need to see the screen!! Unless I am missing something??

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes you need to see the screen. And I'm not sure what you would achieve by flashing it with Odin. That's not data recovery. And depending on what you flash, that could delete all data.

weim01

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
I need to somehow enable usb debugging without having access to the screen. Is this possible or just wishful thinking from youtube videos.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You can't. AFAIK You can only do that through ADB if the screen was not locked. Or through Sidesync.

I assume this means you also had cloud backups off. My phone has cloud backups on and backs up near real time for some items.

weim01

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
Yes no other backup...........I see there is a key sequence to enable usb debugging could be a bit risky as there is also a restore factory resets in there!!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There is no sequence for that, unfortunately. If you're in the US, you can try going into BestBuy and if they have a Samusng booth, they MIGHT be able to help back up the phone before resetting it (they have repair stations sometimes).

Since the S7 Line ditched MHL support for some reason (it made it back on the S8 and Note 8 line), no way to mirror the screen onto a TV.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried running SideSync on your computer and seeing if it connect to the phone? SmartSwitch could also help, but I'm pretty sure it asks you for confirmation on the device you're copying over, and for that, you have to be unlocked so you can accept the data transfer :(

weim01

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
I am in the UK........It is about £200 GBP for a tech repair on the screen.

Yes I have tried sidesync and no joy as like I said USB debugging is not enabled. Yes you are right it asks for acceptance on old device when using Smartswitch.

Too right its a pain they ditched MHL, would've been a doddle otherwise.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you ask nicely maybe a repair shop could let you use a repair station (if they're Samsung authorized) or I know someone was able to let them just connect the screen (not assemble it), use that to unlock, back up, and they just disconnected the screen. But yeah, not a lot of options unless you can unlock, unfortunately.

weim01

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
Right my phone is now fixed at a cost of 190 GBP for a new screen / LCD! What would any of you guys say the best backup to PC software is for the S7......I am looking at smart switch for the pc but notice it states it does not backup whatsapp etc......

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Backing up some apps depend on whether the app allows itself to be backed up. As of now the best non-rooted backup for a Samsung is a combination of Smart Switch and Helium.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech