Hacks and tricks for your new Gear VR

BeyondtheTech

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Gear VR over the weekend, and I absolutely love it. I've tried generic VR headsets on before with my iPhone and a few Android smartphones, including the Google Daydream, but the Gear VR appears to be much more refined and thought out.

That being said, here are a couple of things I figured out that might help others who are enjoying theirs as well.

1. Accommodating Whitestone Dome and other thick glass screen protectors. One of the things I was concerned about after using my Gear VR was that the LOCA glue (Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive) under the screen protector started bubbling where the USB-C port and clip was pinching the device. Luckily, I was able to smooth out all the bubbles, but I wasn't about to have to do that every time I use my S8+ in my headset. So, I took a pair of scissors and long-nose pliers, and pried off the bottom half of the removable USB-C clip. The device still stays firmly in the headset, and no undue pressure is being applied to the glass screen protector.

20170507_013458.jpg
  2. Securely stowing your Gear VR controller. The band that's provided to hold your Gear VR controller to the side strap is nice, but your controller can still slip out and crash to the ground. Luckily, the solution is simple enough to make sure that won't happen.

Thread the controller loop through band, then slide the rest of the controller through. Slide the wrist lock down so it creates enough of an opening for the head of the controller to pass through. Slide the wrist lock back up to secure the head of the controller.

If the controller were to slide out of the band, it would still be holstered to the headset. Problem solved.

VK1dSv4.jpg
  3. Making better use of the headset cover. Since the cover serves no other purpose that making sure the front of the lens stays clear of dust, and sadly can't be used to cover your phone while its mounted in the headset, at least you can give it another use: stowing accessories.

Buy the Sinjimoru Card Pouch from Amazon. It's normally used to store credit cards and IDs on the back of smartphones. It's fabric, so it's stretchy. Store your wired headphones, the Samsung-provided microUSB-to-USB-C adapter, and even a dust cloth, so you're always organized and ready to go.

F0t8llX.jpg
    XZ25aAA.jpg

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/Holder-Sinji...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5805759

That's all I've been able to come up with in the last couple days. Hope it helps, and if you've got some tricks, hacks, or ideas, do tell!