Post your S8 reviews here!

Ziich47

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
After the announcement, I was contemplating which one i would get between the s8 and s8 plus. After holding both in hand, I personally think the s8 is the way to go. I am coming from the OnePlus 3 with its 5.5 inch screen. For the most part I can use it one handed and only the top right hand corner eludes me ( I am left handed). With the s8+, I cannot use it one handed and reach the top right of the screen ( roughly about half of the notification bar). The s8 on the other hand is far more comfortable and because it has the same resolution it still displays the same amount of information as the s8+.
The display is absolutely beautiful but everyone knows that
The speaker is anemic but headphone quality seems to be on point and the headphone jack is on the bottom
The stupid Bixby button is almost directly across from the power button do get ready for several accidental presses
The black color is a must. It just looks so clean.
Last but not least the Front tramp stamp is gone!!!

urrl

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I pre-ordered the S8+ about a week ago and was curious to go see it.
I got a chance to handle the S8+ at Best Buy today and I must admit I was a little underwhelmed, but some might say in a good way. I was taken aback at first look because I was expecting a much larger phone. I put my iPhone 6+ beside it and noticed the S8+ was only the same height and actually less wide. So this thing will actually fit my hands and pocket better with more actual screen size. In hind sight I suppose I should appreciate it's smaller dimensions. Still looking forward to owning one.

chennaite

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Will be having my exynos variant soon on my hand. Hope that outstands the SD variant in performance like its predecessor :)

Mkeditor

May 2, 2016
Visit site
I posted this in another thread about first impressions:

S8 Plus: A dozen observations:

1) Most gorgeous form factor of a phone I've seen yet.

2) Screen is great. No pink.

3) The iris scanner is fantastic. It's usually very fast even with my glasses. I haven't bothered with the fingerprint scanner. I wish it was still on the front so I could use the phone without having to pick it up.

4) Smoothest transition to a new phone ever. Samsung has come close to perfecting this process. Even my app icons and groupings transferred to the same position and pages.

5) The Unicorn Beetle case fit perfectly.

6) I tried using the new Samsung keyboard but ditched it fot Gboard due to the voice recognition being really slow.

7) The LTE doesn't seem any faster. My guess is the Portland area doesn't have the last tech for T-Mobile. We'll see if it's faster in London tomorrow.

8) Switching to USB -C is a bit of work. I purchased new cables and cae chargers but forgot the short cables I use for the portable chargers I use when traveling. I still have the habit of looking at the connector for which way to insert it.

9) The wall charger is very fast.

10) I really want to try the docking station. My concern is that it won't work with case on...which is a big hassle to take off.

11) I wish the font was bigger on the notification tray or that the layout had more contrast. This probably has more to do with Nougat than Samsung.

12) The camera is still awesome.

glennstar

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Just recieved mine today! Charging now. As soon as I flip everything from my S7, i'm going to put it thru the paces. Pretty sure I'll be happy with the S8+ purchase🕺🏾

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung S8 from t-mobile.

I have not used it much due to a busy day at work, but I have some initial impressions:

1) I am currently using a Huawei Mate 9. This is probably why the S8 feels much smaller than I expected.
2) I have experience with a curved screen as I did use a Samsung S7 Edge as my daily driver until the Mate 9.

While Curves as nice, I rarely use the edge functions. And with the Mate 9, I can see a flat screen may have some advantages over a screen with curves--even subtle curves on the s8 do change the perspective on the screen a bit.
It does help make the s8 feel very good in the hand...
3) Bixby.
why?
I don't know. Nobody wanted s-voice but we got it. Does anybody use it?
I guess samsung looked at google and said--how hard can it be to do a voice assistant?
I don't know if it will ever be good, but I'm having a hard time thinking Samsung has the software chops to beat Alexa or Google at this point. But they will try.
The worst part is the bixby button, which now you can't remap to something else. I've hit it by accident several times today.

4) Fingerprint sensor. All kinds of no so far--Its reasonably fast but very awkard compared to the Mate 9 placement (or G6, or Axon 7). I guess they are trying to make you use face unlock or iris unlock. But...those don't work with last pass or other finger print sensor specific functions.
Its pretty annoying so far.

5) Lots of android apps I use are having issues with the tall and narrow screen. So some (isilo to read documents) its really distracting.

I'm going to keep it this weekend but...I might yet return it. I should try a bit harder to see.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Both the OL and me thought it was gonna take some getting used to on the Finger print sensor.
Well I set it up for the screen to open when my finger was placed on the sensor.
Bam, its open. A heck of a lot easier than holding the phone and using your thumb.

Don't like the time on the closed screen. You got to think for a minute for the time.

ITS a little to learn to change over from At&t to Verizon.
Had to get the folks at Verizon to help me out today.
Don't like how somebody has make it that is you want to use wifi calling., that its mandatory that you put a 911 Address in.

Don't want anything to do with 911.
If I'm dying.
Call anybody but 911.
Got 2 friends that had heart attacks.
One made it, the one that they called 911 is gone.
The one that made it, had his doctor to tell him.
It somebody had of called 911 you wouldn't be here today.

gadgetjim

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm upgrading from my Note 4 to the S8 Plus. I am keeping my Note 4 though ... still have 8 more payments. I also have my ancient Note 3, which still works just like new. I had the Note 7, but had to return it. Hoping to get the Note 8 .....

This S8 Plus is beautfiul ... !!! Only two glitches so far .... Chrome freezes sometimes, and sometimes Bookmarks will not work. Also, when I use my bluetooth keyboard, I have to disable the virtual keyboard. Have not had these issues with my Note 3, Note 4, Note 7 or Tab E.

Camera is amazing ... !!! I'm still watching videos and reading articles on camera tips ..... Check out some pictures I took yesterday ...

Attachments

• 20170422_123302.jpg
    20170422_123302.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20170422_123020.jpg
    20170422_123020.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 26
  • 20170422_122942.jpg
    20170422_122942.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20170422_123149.jpg
    20170422_123149.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 30

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The speed of the S8+ is fantastic.

Like what was posted .delete all if your Wi-Fi connections out, by saying forget them.
Then go back in and look for a new connection, and connect to it.

I like the S8 coming from a note 5 and a S7E.

VolMan37421

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Galaxy S8+ for about a day and I have to say it's a really incredible phone. I just purchased an S7 edge a few months ago and this really is a great upgrade. I have the orchid gray and it's a great color without being gaudy or over-the-top. There has been zero lag time and the screen is as great as advertised. I don't have a problem with the fingerprint scanner and it works well. The S7 edge was a great phone but this one just feels very updated in its form factor. The screen is not as curved which is very nice. I changed my display settings to quad HD and watched a few clips of HDR video. WOW! They were amazing. I haven't noticed any battery issues and it's working just as well as my S7 edge did, which was very good.

The earbuds are truly amazing! I have to agree with all the great reviews I've seen. My wireless Motorola headphones also sound better than they did on the S7 edge.

I bought an otterbox symmetry clear case and it feels great and isn't heavy. I would recommend it. If you're a Verizon customer, they have a great deal on accessories right now.

Overall, I'm very glad I got the S8+ and highly recommend it.

gavinl1967

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, its goodbye from me. I've just arranged to send my Galaxy S8+ back to Vodafone. Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic bit of kit (bixby button, rear finger print reader and flimsy feel aside), but my latest attempt to convert to Android has ended in failure - its just not for me, I find it too much of a faff and a bit messy.

I'm going back to my trusty iPhone 6S plus. I'll maybe try again with Android in another couple of years.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, its goodbye from me. I've just arranged to send my Galaxy S8+ back to Vodafone. Don't get me wrong, its a fantastic bit of kit (bixby button, rear finger print reader and flimsy feel aside), but my latest attempt to convert to Android has ended in failure - its just not for me, I find it too much of a faff and a bit messy.

I'm going back to my trusty iPhone 6S plus. I'll maybe try again with Android in another couple of years.

Hey, at least you were not overly bias and were willing to give it a go. I hope to see you back in a couple of years.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The S8+ is a great phone.
The finger print sensor is great. You can dfon everything with one hand .
If you got a screen protector and you didnnt like it.
Ever thoughgt about going back where you got it and showing them and saying I don't like this.
The phone operates great.
I don't expect any iPhone person is gonna like a Android if they don't give their self time to learn it.
I started with t he iPhone. Came to Android, will not go back.
The OL kicked and screamed. But now she won't go back.
The screen is a accessory, not a part of the phone.
So let's clear that up. Same as the case.
If the phone is expensive for you. I can understand that.
Everybody has had a year to save their pennies..these phones cones out every year .

Karong

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
Had the S8 for 24 hours now and I'm very impressed. My previous phones was the S7, iPhone 6s Plus and (briefly) Pixel. Its smaller than I thought it would be which is a good thing. This phone feels so good in the hands *Flossy Carter voice* its really amazing. Obviously the screen is awesome, I love how the edges are subtle and not as sharp as the S7E which makes it much more comfortable to use. I haven't had any accidental touches yet. Palm rejection seems to be very much improved. Battery life is great but one thing I want to note is that standby time is excellent, which is rare on Android phones, especially Samsung. I charged it to 100% before I went to bed then unplugged it. Woke up and it was 99%. Only a 1% drop in 7 hours is amazing. Only my iphone was able to do that.
Fingerprint sensor is not as bad as people say. I'm able to reach it easily. Face recognition is hit or miss. Iris scanner seems to work better, but not when I'm wearing my glasses..maybe they are too thick.
Software also is improved. I know Touchwiz or whatever its called now gets alot of hate but its actually not that bad and comes with alot of handy features that gives it an advantage over a stock Android phone like the Pixel. Thing like scrolling screen shot capture and Secure folder come to mind and I use that frequently. Haven't had any lag or stutter yet. But only time will tell how it will hold up. I had my s7 for 6 months and it was still snappy so im optimistic.
Overall I'm very pleased. At first I didn't think it would be a worthy upgrade over my S7 but after seeing it in store and playing with it. I had to get it. Pics/videos really dont do it justice. Its something you have to see/feel for yourself.

Lexionic

Apr 28, 2017
Visit site
Had the S8+ since April 21st coming from an iPhone 6+ after two years, partly because since it was jailbroken and no news of future jailbreaks, causing apps not to update because I could not update to the latest firmware and keep the jailbreak. I had it great up to then; double tap on and off without a glitch, downloaded YouTube movies and so much other stuff Apple would not allow but Android does.

The old version Apple apps began to freeze or not work at all. So I crossed over back to Android a second time. The S8+ is without question the best phone I've ever owned in my opinion at this point. Got addicted to VR for a while and the video colors of the S8+ really pop and clips look better than the iPhone 6+ in low light situations.
I've seen some stuttering with the only game I've downloaded; Smash Hit above level 6 3D but that game really gets complex and I can't compare it with the iPhone I have.
I've been using the S8+ heavily and notice the juice can give out in about 8 hours. I'm talking almost constant use with videos, games, VR, etc. It can last the whole day and evening with medium use though. I'm still keeping the iPhone until I'm sure the S8+ has all the apps and capabilities I've used with the iPhone, soon to have it's restrictive firmware updated and sold, or I may keep it jailbroken and use it for a backup.
Moving music and video files from the computer or within the phone is a breeze compared to iTunes. Ringtone apps abound in Android and are easy to use; such a headache with the iPhone. I'm using the Gravity Screen app instead of double tapping; picking up the phone activates it and deactivation is as simple as putting the phone in your pocket.
In a nutshell I have no regrets so far with my new purchase.

gadgetjim

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I've had my S8 Plus for 11 days now. Just got my Samsung Full Promotion Package yesterday (VR, Controller, 256GB Micro-SD Card, AKG Harmon Bluetooth Headphones) !!! I got lucky, because they are no longer available. Took me around an hour or longer to set up the VR and learn how to use it. The 256GB Micro-SD Card and AKG Harmon Bluetooth Headphones are more important for me though. I use a lot of memory space on my smartphones (Note 3, Note 4, and Note 7). The headphone range is a little better than my Bludio and Samsung Level U Pro.

I'm still learning new Tips and Tricks on my S8 Plus ..... Battery life is good. With medium usage will last all day from early morning until late at night. Cool Features ... like the Edge Drawer, Palm Swipe to Capture Screen, Gray Scale to conserve battery, Link Sharing, Camera Quck Zoom.

I was a bit disappointed that the screen width is the same as my Note 3 and Note 4. So, the screen is only bigger in height.

Only glitches I have encountered so far: 1) Chrome freezes, 2) Bookmarks will not open (sometimes), 3) In Facebook Messenger, I cannot have both physical and virtual keyboard at the same time (did not have this issue with my Note 3, Note 4 or Note 7). So, when I'm typing with my Bluetooth Keyboard, then I get up and go to the porch and need to type something, I can't, because the virtual keyboard cannot be used when the bluetooth keyboard is still connected. So, I have to disconnect the bluetooth keyboard, then connect the virtual keyboard. Then, when I come back inside and sit down to type with my bluetooth keyboard, I can't type !!! So, I have to disconnect the virtual keyboard, then reconnect the bluetooth keyboard. This is a huge problem .... I hope a future update will fix this issue .....

VR quality is poor, but the Virtual Reality Experience is still cool ... !!! I won't be using the VR much though. Gives me headaches, and pinches my nose too much, cutting off some breathing through my nose, which is uncomfortable.

The AKG Harmon Bluetooth Headphones are awesome !!! Very good quality sound. Work great with the VR set. Hopefully they will last much longer than my Bludio (headstrap broke completely in half after only a few months).

Overall ... I am pleased with the S8 Plus. I really like the Note series, especially with the S-Pen, which I haven't really missed as much as I thought I would. I can still do the Scroll Capture, Screen Shots, Cropping, Animated GIFs. But ..... writing with a stylus is NOT practical. The S-Pen works much better when writing notes.

I'm looking forward to the Note 8 ..... Depending on the features and specifications .... I might get the Note 8 and still keep my S8 Plus .....

The S8 Plus camera is good. Takes very nice, high quality, videos. Night shots are not that great though, but ok.

I have 527 apps on my S8 Plus. Still running fast and smooth. Around 1GB Images (1134 images on the 256GB Micro-SD Card), and another 900MB of images on the 64GB internal memory. Camera still works quickly. Gallery images load and scroll very fast. Files and apps open quickly. Some lag, but nothing serious.

I would highly recommend the Galaxy S8 Plus ..... A definite Win !!!

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I’m one of those unfortunate folks who purchased a Samsung Note 7, had it recalled, received a replacement and then had that recalled. I wound up with an S7 Edge; nice phone, but I missed the Note 7 -- it was the best phone I'd ever had, even though I rarely used the S-Pen. I’m not one to give up on Samsung, so when the S8 and S8+ were announced I decided to wait for the availability of the unlocked versions and then purchase the S8+. However, once I had a chance to try demo units, I discovered that my average-sized hands had trouble reaching the fingerprint sensor on the s8+. I like large phones but the S8+ was too tall for me and I decided to purchase the S8 instead.

Since I didn’t plan to purchase an S8 through my carrier, T-Mobile, I switched cell service to Cricket Wireless. I’m very happy with Cricket's features, the signal strength in my area, and the lower monthly cost. I still planned to buy an unlocked S8 and bring it to Cricket but on April 21 I received an email from Cricket announcing the availability of the S8. The local Cricket store had a demo unit and one in the box for sale. I didn’t plan on leaving Cricket anytime soon and I bought the S8 from the Cricket store..

So, I bought the S8 instead of the S8+ and the phone I bought is locked to Cricket for the next six months. I'm OK with that and, after a few days, the S8 is the best phone I've ever had. It has everything I liked about the Note 7 and more -- a beautiful AMOLED screen that’s remarkably bright, USB C, incredibly fast charging, wireless charging, 64GB of storage plus a microSD card slot, and great build quality. There was an S-Pen feature on the Note 7 that allowed you to take screenshots of selected areas of the screen and also create animated GIFs. That feature is available on an S8 Edge panel. I would prefer a better location for the fingerprint sensor, although it’s easy to reach and, with a bumper case on the phone, I have yet to miss the sensor and smudge the camera lens. I can’t use the iris scanner with bifocals, and Bixby is a work in progress that doesn’t need its own button. I’ve read that Samsung has improved the TouchWiz UI but I’m a Nova Prime user so I can’t comment on any TouchWiz improvements.

My S8 has no wi-fi connectivity issues or a red tint on the screen, but here’s something to keep in mind. The S8 I bought from Cricket appears to be pretty much stock, but I’ve read that some T-Mobile variants have removed the wireless fast charging setting and Verizon has removed the shopping feature from Bixby vision.

So far I’m very happy with the Samsung Galaxy S8. It's the Note 7 on steroids, minus the S-Pen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma