[APP] Custom Bixby Button (April patch, no root required)

SuperThomasLab

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Custom Bixby Button teaches Bixby another lesson following the April security patch. With actions like Bixby opens Google Assistant, apps, shortcuts, etc.

This should work but needs some testing. It requires no root; this will follow with full options in an update. Let me know what you think so far.

Actions currently supported:
  • Back
  • Home
  • Recent apps
  • Sleep (Root)
  • Power button menu
  • Scroll down (Root)
  • Scroll up (Root)
  • Open notifications panel
  • Open quick settings
  • Play/pause song
  • Next song
  • Previous song
  • Toggle auto-rotate
  • Torch
  • Do not disturb
  • Toggle ringer mode
  • App
  • App shortcut
  • Search
  • Screenshot (Root)
  • Voice assistant (e.g. Google Assistant)
  • Toggle split screen
  • Switch to last app
  • Dialer

Download:
Custom Bixby Button is available on Google Play and XDA Labs as a beta release.

Notes:
  • Custom Bixby Button was developed to work with the April update. It requires no root.
  • Remember to disable other Bixby button apps before using Custom Bixby Button
  • This app uses an Accessibility Service to detect when the Bixby app comes to the foreground. This method should not have lag when you scroll because the service is limited to the Bixby app only. If you still have lag it is probably caused by another Accessibility Service.

Last edited:

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Custom Bixby Button

Do you have plans to add multiple press actions? Nice, simple to use app...and it does still work after the update.

SuperThomasLab

May 22, 2016
Visit site

Press actions like double tap or long press are currently not possible because of the update. In the future I'll add them but they will probably require root access.

SuperThomasLab

May 22, 2016
Visit site

Just updated Custom Bixby Button. This update improves the speed and Bixby is no longer visible. Also there is a new "dialer" action. Feedback is appreciated!

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Updated and see new dialer option. I'm not getting anything on single tap, have to double the same as Bixby in order to bring up my option.

SuperThomasLab

May 22, 2016
Visit site

Updated and see new dialer option. I'm not getting anything on single tap, have to double the same as Bixby in order to bring up my option.

Hello, thanks for your feedback. There are indeed some bugs that Bixby doesn't recognise the button tap, should not be related to Custom Bixby Button. Could you try tapping the button very quickly (a single tap)? I find that it works better. Let me know if it works.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Tried that and you're correct, a very quick tap does it. However, I am finding the location of the bixby button awkward and will mostly just forget about it. I do like your app though :)

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Love the app. I'll probably use this until Bixby Voice is released and see how good it is. Nice to see it brings up the Voice Assistant and not just Google Now. Great job!

karmajack

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Love it. Right now I'm using it to open my notifications bar since my crappy GPEL screen protector has sensitivity issues up there.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to access the One-Handed function, like the built-in triple home press?

(I think setting up home for that slightly slower normal home button response, so alternative might be nice)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21