Force Google Play Services to Doze (Optimize) WITHOUT ROOT??

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Hello all-

I know there is a way with root access, but we don't have root access for the S8/+

Is there any way to force google play services to Doze WITHOUT ROOT? Maybe a command via ADB that someone knows about to lift googles restriction on play services utilizing Doze?

The battery is already a beast in this phone, but it'd be nice to increase standby time and overall battery life by not having play services constantly rip into it in the background.

Anyone with any thoughts on this, let em fly :cool:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Can you post a screenshot of what the battery stats for Play Services looks like? On my Pixel, it's only kept everything awake for less than 10 minutes since I unplugged it yesterday.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Actually, I may have been premature with this post.

It seems to have settled down for me since yesterday. So far so good today. No idea what the deal was yesterday, but it was awake for far longer than I would have liked. That's what prompted me to look into this a bit further.

Still, it would be a nice preventative measure, and still beneficial for standby and overall battery life, if it's possible to allow doze to do it's thing with play services without relying on root access.

Thank you for your response!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I may have been premature with this post.

It seems to have settled down for me since yesterday. So far so good today. No idea what the deal was yesterday, but it was awake for far longer than I would have liked. That's what prompted me to look into this a bit further.

Still, it would be a nice preventative measure, and still beneficial for standby and overall battery life, if it's possible to allow doze to do it's thing with play services without relying on root access.

Thank you for your response!

I'll admit, sometimes Play gets stuck doing something. Usually what I do in that instance is force a reboot and wait a day. Most of the time, that helps a lot.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
I'll admit, sometimes Play gets stuck doing something. Usually what I do in that instance is force a reboot and wait a day. Most of the time, that helps a lot.

Good advice, that does usually work. I'm just looking to avoid having to deal with that I guess. Not that it's a difficult process or anything, but still. I feel like it should be utilizing doze, or at least give us the option.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Good advice, that does usually work. I'm just looking to avoid having to deal with that I guess. Not that it's a difficult process or anything, but still. I feel like it should be utilizing doze, or at least give us the option.

The larger reason it doesn't is due to Play services is the hub for everything else. A Gmail mobile notification is routed through there, for example. If you have ever seen another thread where someone disables or even removes Play services, and then talks about issues with other apps, this is why.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
The larger reason it doesn't is due to Play services is the hub for everything else. A Gmail mobile notification is routed through there, for example. If you have ever seen another thread where someone disables or even removes Play services, and then talks about issues with other apps, this is why.

We're talking about Doze, not disabling or removing play services. Shouldn't have any negative repercussions. It'll wake when it needs to be awake and be put to sleep when it doesn't. Considering it doesn't always need to be awake, I don't see an issue with utilizing Doze for added assurance that it won't possibly be stuck running rampant in the background.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
We're talking about Doze, not disabling or removing play services. Shouldn't have any negative repercussions. It'll wake when it needs to be awake and be put to sleep when it doesn't. Considering it doesn't always need to be awake, I don't see an issue with utilizing Doze for added assurance that it won't possibly be stuck running rampant in the background.

But Doze would somewhat mimic what disabling that service would do. Notifications for certain apps wouldn't happen instantly. Might not be so bad for some apps but others it's a totally different story. Offhand, I'm not even sure if root access and a custom ROM would give this option.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
But Doze would somewhat mimic what disabling that service would do. Notifications for certain apps wouldn't happen instantly. Might not be so bad for some apps but others it's a totally different story. Offhand, I'm not even sure if root access and a custom ROM would give this option.

There is a way for devices with root access, no custom Rom needed, which prompted me to inquire about the possibility for devices without root access, since we most likely won't get root for the S8+. Doze does not mimic what disabling the service would do.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site

Doze puts apps into a "shallow" hibernation state, where it uses less energy but retains it's functionality. So again, not at all like disabling or removing play services. Just wanted to clarify a bit further.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Doze puts apps into a "shallow" hibernation state, where it uses less energy but retains it's functionality. So again, not at all like disabling or removing play services. Just wanted to clarify a bit further.
I know it puts it in hibernation. But the hibernation isn't too dissimilar from rendering it disabled.

Take an app that isn't part of Google play services....after a set amount of time, the OS starts killing lower priority services. These services essentially don't communicate with their server. Rendering them non-functional. This is the point at which I am comparing them to a disabled application. Yes, you are correct in the point where once the phone becomes active, everything starts talking again. But the point I am trying to make is if Play services was part of Doze, there would be no communication to and from Google servers once Doze is fully engaged. This then cripples any app that depends on Google play services.

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
I know it puts it in hibernation. But the hibernation isn't too dissimilar from rendering it disabled.

Take an app that isn't part of Google play services....after a set amount of time, the OS starts killing lower priority services. These services essentially don't communicate with their server. Rendering them non-functional. This is the point at which I am comparing them to a disabled application. Yes, you are correct in the point where once the phone becomes active, everything starts talking again. But the point I am trying to make is if Play services was part of Doze, there would be no communication to and from Google servers once Doze is fully engaged. This then cripples any app that depends on Google play services.

From the experiences I've read about with the root method, it's not so bad. The only thing that seems to happen is gmail push notifications are somewhat delayed. I go and fetch that manually anyway, so that's a non-issue for me. I def see your point though, it wouldn't go completely without a hitch, but I would be fine with the tradeoff/s, especially in the days play services just seems to get stuck running in the background for an extended time.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
From the experiences I've read about with the root method, it's not so bad. The only thing that seems to happen is gmail push notifications are somewhat delayed. I go and fetch that manually anyway, so that's a non-issue for me. I def see your point though, it wouldn't go completely without a hitch, but I would be fine with the tradeoff/s, especially in the days play services just seems to get stuck running in the background for an extended time.

Root access is a double edged sword altogether. As of this point, I have lost a lot of ambition to root my devices, mainly due to the OS doesn't really need it anymore. A far cry from the Gingerbread days when you needed root access for simple things like disabling apps. The only thing that I would probably root my device for would be a combo of Franco kernel (not even sure he still develops that anymore) and Naptime (allows modification to when Doze starts. There is a very aggressive setting to start Doze when the screen goes off). But my stock Pixel gets about what my rooted Nexus 5X for standby time.

Do you have an S8 variant that can be rooted? Are you thinking of doing it?

SlippySlimm

Banned
May 8, 2017
Visit site
Root access is a double edged sword altogether. As of this point, I have lost a lot of ambition to root my devices, mainly due to the OS doesn't really need it anymore. A far cry from the Gingerbread days when you needed root access for simple things like disabling apps. The only thing that I would probably root my device for would be a combo of Franco kernel (not even sure he still develops that anymore) and Naptime (allows modification to when Doze starts. There is a very aggressive setting to start Doze when the screen goes off). But my stock Pixel gets about what my rooted Nexus 5X for standby time.

Do you have an S8 variant that can be rooted? Are you thinking of doing it?

True, there's seemingly minimal value to it these days. And the compromise in security isn't really worth it anymore.

I have a Verizon S8+, so root isn't happening any time soon. If it were available I'd probably do it to tweak a few minor things, and to mod doze and maybe some light theming and hiding things from the status bar...things like that. I'm sure with root there would be an easier way to toggle full immersive mode on the fly as well, which would be something I'd be very interested in.