Will the S8 be the best Android phone available?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Once Samsung launches the S8, will it (in your opinion) be the best android phone available? The S7 was rock solid (at least in my opinion)... do you think Sammy will build on that or do you have concerns about their next-gen phones?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like it's going to be awesome, not sure if it'll be better than some things that are out now, but it really depends on how we define better and for whom. I'm really happy with them getting rid of the capacities keys and going to a rear FPS (even with weird placement). That and pulling the logo off the front makes for a much cleaner looking device.

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Agree 100%. This next gen of devices from Sammy, LG etc are going to have such nice displays with so little (or no bezel). Excited about these phones.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Thats a good question. Hmm, with the brand new design, cutting edge processor and bezel-less display. Its definitely got a lot going for it and i think its going to be really hard to beat. I'm really excited for the launch. I think Samsung have a winning device. Just need to ensure all goes smoothly for the first couple weeks :)

The only other rivals would be the iPhone 7s and Google Pixel 2. The Sony XZ Premium does have the same specs, but it's aimed at the really high end 'elite' group of people who need 4K displays haha. Samsung is much more consumers originated (in my opinion) :)

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on what's "best" for you. Very few phones are the best all around. Do you want best camera, screen, speed, form factor, etc? Do you care about stock android any more? SD card expansion?
For me, Samsung phones usually have the best features all around without giving up a whole lot. When the Note5 was out with the 32gb and no expandable memory, I could see people looking elsewhere.
If you need a flat screen, I think the LG G6 will get those customers.

Tony C1

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm curios if the S8 will have a 4K screen or HDR like the new LG or the new Sony. HDR is huge in the TV world, not so sure if its needed on a tiny screen like a phone, but I'm all for a better and wider color gamut.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Once Samsung launches the S8, will it (in your opinion) be the best android phone available? The S7 was rock solid (at least in my opinion)... do you think Sammy will build on that or do you have concerns about their next-gen phones?

Absolutely, 100% without a doubt. Other phones won't even come close to the S8/S8+. It'll have SD 835, IP68 rating, very little bezels, microSD slot, and a rear fingerprint sensor.

The only concern I have is battery life. Those huge screens with a smaller battery causes me to worry.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely, 100% without a doubt. Other phones won't even come close to the S8/S8+. It'll have SD 835, IP68 rating, very little bezels, microSD slot, and a rear fingerprint sensor.

The only concern I have is battery life. Those huge screens with a smaller battery causes me to worry.

I wish I were as confident as you. Battery life is a concern I share, but also worried about security, updates, the glass body, low storage option and missing critical Nougat features. I'm really hoping they nail the camera this year (they've been great for many years, but are being challenged) and that they start taking security seriously. I'm expecting it to launch as one of the top 5 devices available, but not sure I could justify it's compromises without a serious benefit, which right now doesn't seem like there is one. So I'm hopeful, but couching my expectations.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I wish I were as confident as you. Battery life is a concern I share, but also worried about security, updates, the glass body, low storage option and missing critical Nougat features. I'm really hoping they nail the camera this year (they've been great for many years, but are being challenged) and that they start taking security seriously. I'm expecting it to launch as one of the top 5 devices available, but not sure I could justify it's compromises without a serious benefit, which right now doesn't seem like there is one. So I'm hopeful, but couching my expectations.

I'm concerned about security as well. The only phones I'd feel truly safe using right now would be Pixels or iPhones because they update their software quite frequently. When I was using my Verizon S7 edge up to a few weeks ago, it was still on the October(!) security patch, which was highly unacceptable for February. I'm using an iPhone 7 Plus right now and I feel safe using it. But yeah, I agree with you. Samsung needs to start taking security seriously.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Last year Samsung started off REALLY strong on security updates, even though they didn't have all of Marshmallow's features at launch, they were doing way better than normal. They also have Knox, which does help a bit, but it's not really the same thing as what Google and Apple are able to offer.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Last year Samsung started off REALLY strong on security updates, even though they didn't have all of Marshmallow's features at launch, they were doing way better than normal. They also have Knox, which does help a bit, but it's not really the same thing as what Google and Apple are able to offer.

BlackBerry Android phones crap on all others security and privacy wise.

Please acknowledge them FFS.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Thats a good question. Hmm, with the brand new design, cutting edge processor and bezel-less display. Its definitely got a lot going for it and i think its going to be really hard to beat. I'm really excited for the launch. I think Samsung have a winning device. Just need to ensure all goes smoothly for the first couple weeks :)

The only other rivals would be the iPhone 7s and Google Pixel 2. The Sony XZ Premium does have the same specs, but it's aimed at the really high end 'elite' group of people who need 4K displays haha. Samsung is much more consumers originated (in my opinion) :)

So far, the XZ Premium looks to be the best and most exciting phone to be launched this year.

Other than the huuuge forehead and chin, of course, although they do house stereo speakers and a technically amazing camera that enables the rear of the phone to be bump-free.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
BlackBerry Android phones crap on all others security and privacy wise.

Please acknowledge them FFS.

Good point, Blackberry devices running Android are a strong third place on security. They're doing great on the monthly updates, their boot procedure is great from a security standpoint. They're not caught up on firmware updates or the associated features, but that's something they may be able to build on in time. Right now they seem to be the only non-Google OEM taking Security seriously. What's FFS?

Relevant to the larger point of this thread, BB is kinda irrelevant though, because they don't have a flagship in the fight.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Tough call. I would say yes without knowing specific information about the phone. But I have a feeling LG and HTC are going to have a good year.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I think it will be near the top but I'm interested in the Pixel XL 2 and the V30 and maybe even G6. Huawei brings some heavy hitters too. If they had better customer service I'd be willing to give them a shot. Now watch the Pixel 2 will have new features after I buy the s8 plus.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm curios if the S8 will have a 4K screen or HDR like the new LG or the new Sony. HDR is huge in the TV world, not so sure if its needed on a tiny screen like a phone, but I'm all for a better and wider color gamut.
The Note7 had HDR. So, I would assume the S8 will as well. It makes no sense to take a step backwards. When the Note7 was released, it had the highest rated display out there.

jhonnieblue

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
its early in the year still and I'm sure other manufacturers will be following the near bezel less design language of the s8 and g6
i think prob to the middle o the year we might see some higher spec android phones coming out
maybe HTC will deliver something worthwhile this year

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Best is subjective to the buyer.
Best screen, best battery life, best software?
Fastest is another story all together.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
No.

Last year I think most will say that, before it got recalled, the Note 7 was the best phone of the year... android or non-android.

So I expect the Note 8 to outdo the S8/S8+ and have a shot at the title this year.

Phones to watch out for... OnePlus 4/5, Pixel 2 and even foreign phones like xiaomi mi mix 2

OnePlus 4 News: Release Date, Features & Specifications - New Product - PC Advisor

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 concept video hints at 93% screen-to-body ratio, dual-rear camera

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
textura