Is Samsung afraid of LG G6 this time

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I corrected myself in later post but just edited it... 79%.

And my post said smartphone profits... not market share.
No argument samsung probably sells the most phones per year...
But Apple I guess rakes in most of the profits from total phone sales in the world.

Not sure what u mean by Apple taking 97% smartphone profits, but Samsung has a higher market share for their phones than Apple

IDC: Smartphone Market Share 2016, 2015

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I corrected myself in later post but just edited it... 79%.

And my post said smartphone profits... not market share.
No argument samsung probably sells the most phones per year...
But Apple I guess rakes in most of the profits from total phone sales in the world.
Because they charge a higher price?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
iPhone 7 starting at $649... iPhone 7 Plus starting at $769...
How much is the S8 and S8+ going for??

Because they charge a higher price?

A matter of opinion. Got my iPhone 6 here... a phone released in Sept 2014 and iOS 8 and 30 months later still getting updates and just got iOS 10.3 which made a snappy phone run even a bit snappier imo, and still get over a day battery. And when I did have an issue while vacationing in the Canadian Rockies (from Florida), found an apple store and swapped my phone under warranty for a brand new phone, and restored everything in one quick cloud backup, photos, apps and all and back on the road.

I love my androids, except my S6, but don't fool yourself... there is a lot of value added to the iphones where the Androids have yet to match.

A higher price than it's worth..

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 7 starting at $649... iPhone 7 Plus starting at $769...
How much is the S8 and S8+ going for??

A matter of opinion. Got my iPhone 6 here... a phone released in Sept 2014 and iOS 8 and 30 months later still getting updates and just got iOS 10.3 which made a snappy phone run even a bit snappier imo, and still get over a day battery. And when I did have an issue while vacationing in the Canadian Rockies (from Florida), found an apple store and swapped my phone under warranty for a brand new phone, and restored everything in one quick cloud backup, photos, apps and all and back on the road.

I love my androids, except my S6, but don't fool yourself... there is a lot of value added to the iphones where the Androids have yet to match.
True. The insurance on an iPhone use unbeatable compared to Android phones.

lions_lair99

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
True. The insurance on an iPhone use unbeatable compared to Android phones.
And you will need good good insurance for your iPhone. Every single person I've ever know has had multiple problems with their iphone, honestly. And I for real have never ever had a problem with a Samsung, nor has anyone in my family, nor any of my friends. No wonder there are so many Apple stores, and so few Samsung stores.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
And you will need good good insurance for your iPhone. Every single person I've ever know has had multiple problems with their iphone, honestly. And I for real have never ever had a problem with a Samsung, nor has anyone in my family, nor any of my friends. No wonder there are so many Apple stores, and so few Samsung stores.
Like what problem? I don't like Apple products. The only one I use is an iPod from about 9 years ago or so.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Samsung isn't competing with anyone outside of iPhone and lower priced Chinese OEMs muscling them out of the entry level market. HTC and LG don't have the market share or marketing to make a dent into their sales. Note that up until the M9, HTC consistently reviewed better than the comparable Galaxy phones. The result? Crickets. The Samsung brand is too strong for LG to compete on the high end tier. The branding is so pervasive that most people I know call Android phones "Samsungs". Even if the G6 was clearly better than the S8, the S8 would still outsell it by magnitudes. But it's not -- put the G6 next to the S8, and only Samsung haters and LG fans would think the G6 is nicer. The S8 looks like it's from a sci-fi movie -- the G6 looks ordinary in comparison.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Interesting in my current company and my last company most of the people I work with have iPhones and I have yet to know one who has had a problem. My sister works in 3rd world countries about 3/4s of the and has had no problems with iPhones. My coworker down the hall is on his 3rd G4 because of boot loops.

By every measure I have seen show the iPhone with exceptional quality and reliability.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
There are more Android phones in the world than iPhones so how is iPhone netting 97% of profits?
Most android phones sold aren't your high profit margin phones like the Galaxy S8, LG G6, HTC 10, Pixel etc. A lot of Android smartphones sold are cheaper phones from Chinese companies with much lower margins, whereas all iPhones sold have very large profit margins, so Apple takes the lions share of smartphone profits.

Apple are in the extremely enviable position of selling very high-priced products (within its respective market) and also manages to sell them at high volume (I think they sell ~70 million iPhones a quarter?). For a company, that's an incredible position to be in. Economics usually says that price vs demand are in an inverse relationship, where the higher priced items usually are demanded by less of the market, but it's almost as if Apple have broken that rule. They have among the most expensive products in the market and the sale throughput is realy high.

As far as Samsung being 'scared' of LG, I don't think I'd put it that way. LG are a competitor to Samsung, so sure, Samsung will do everything they can to ensure the focus is on their product and not a competitors. Nothing wrong with that.

LG released their phone prior to the S8 in an attempt to persuade customers to buy their phone before the S8 became available. Guess you could interpret that of LG being 'scared' of Samsung. And how Samsung position their phones well away from iPhones September launches, so that could be interpreted as Samsung being 'scared' of Apple etc.

It's just down to businesss and trying to ensure your product gets its time in the spotlight.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Interesting in my current company and my last company most of the people I work with have iPhones and I have yet to know one who has had a problem. My sister works in 3rd world countries about 3/4s of the and has had no problems with iPhones. My coworker down the hall is on his 3rd G4 because of boot loops.

By every measure I have seen show the iPhone with exceptional quality and reliability.
It does. iPhone is more dependable but does far fewer things. I recommend iPhone to people who don't use their phones for work. I can do much more because I can share the same file in multiple applications. I also enjoy on screen widgets. All my wife does is take pictures. Use email. And surf the web. iPhone is perfect for her. She gets 3 days without even charging the thing.
I download data from work to my downloads folder. Copy and paste part of it to Excel for some crunching then copy and paste to Word. On iPhone the file I download stays in Puffin. It doesn't even go to a download folder I can access from other apps.
I can connect to a monitor by hdmi or to microsoft dongle through wifi direct for presentations in places which have no wifi to use. I can copy files to flashdrive to use on computer immediately. Just so many things.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
yeah i've worked with IT and along with the companies I've worked with and dealt with others, iPhones are the primary phones deployed and for good reason. When there is an issue... it's usually comes down to the user :confused:

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Samsung isn't afraid of LG, not even close. I'm sorry, but LG has consistently made defective or failed phones. Anyone who has used LG knows about the bootloop issues and then the failed mod G5. The G6 is a decent phone, but the V10 to me still is king.

The S8 feels perfect in the hand, The G6 feels thick and dull.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
yeah i've worked with IT and along with the companies I've worked with and dealt with others, iPhones are the primary phones deployed and for good reason. When there is an issue... it's usually comes down to the user :confused:
Ya but all they are good for is phone calls and email!

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Samsung is aiming for 60 million units I believe. LG no way looking for numbers like that. I read the G2 sold around 3 million units. The G3 next year sold 10 million. Probably years forward spotty up to the G5 last year.

LG did ok with the V20 and people looking forward to V30. The G6 is a very positive reset and if stays a solid phone all the reviews have shown they will sell their millions. They'll drop the price in a 4-6 months and still keep selling well and get their numbers and get the phones out. And if they can continue to build on a solid phone... G7 better dual cameras, 64gb storage, 6gb ram, stereo speakers, better battery... tweak the design they have to be sleeker, then they will build from the G6 numbers like they did from the G2.

They won't get S8 numbers... no one will except Apple. But if. throwing out a number, they sell 10 million this year, sold 5-10 million V20s... that's 10-20 million less phones that could have gone to Samsung. OnePlus sells 3-5 Million 4s, Huawei sells a millions, Xiaomi, etc... the Android pie just gets smaller and smaller. That's what Samsung is worried about... that everyone is building a competitive phone.

It does. iPhone is more dependable but does far fewer things. I recommend iPhone to people who don't use their phones for work. I can do much more because I can share the same file in multiple applications. I also enjoy on screen widgets. All my wife does is take pictures. Use email. And surf the web. iPhone is perfect for her. She gets 3 days without even charging the thing.
I download data from work to my downloads folder. Copy and paste part of it to Excel for some crunching then copy and paste to Word. On iPhone the file I download stays in Puffin. It doesn't even go to a download folder I can access from other apps.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Very little user customization possible. Downloads stored in browser instead of phone making it difficult to access from multiple apps. I need Puffin to download spreadsheets from work then they are stored by Puffin not in a downloads folder on phone. I don't even know if that is secure.

I really really hate itunes method of putting pdf in my bookcase.

I like on screen widgets. I prefer a bigger screen with smaller bezels for watching videos.

Most people I know if iphone use it for games, email, texts, social media and phone calls.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar