S8 not even out yet and glass scratched already...

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Original:
black-galaxy-s8-leaked-7.jpg
Brightness Enhanced:
black-galaxy-s8-leaked-7-BRIGHTENED.jpg

Don't mean to bash sammy but if I am paying $800-900+ on a phone, I expect good quality. Maybe offer a Sapphire glass option like HTC?? I think they are using easy-to-scratch Gorilla Glass 5 like the Note 7... Come on, even the Galaxy S4, S5 and Note 3 front screen wouldn't scratch like that. I was considering the black color, but now might stay away. Not impressed by the new versions of Gorilla Glass. Any input on this?

Axidrain

Jan 29, 2017
Visit site
The phone was probably passed around a lot. Can't really compare it to normal use. Apples and oranges. If I tossed my s7e around without a case everyday, it's gonna get effed up

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
They clearly have said these are dummy phones, not even working models. I'm pretty sure they didn't handled these with care.

I'm sure these were the real ones, undergoing tests. Samsung is spending much more time testing to be sure it's safe. Factory workers are taking these leaked photos to show off to their friends.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure these were the real ones, undergoing tests. Samsung is spending much more time testing to be sure it's safe. Factory workers are taking these leaked photos to show off to their friends.

Even so Jeff, first thing I do before I leave the AT&T store is put my case on and a tempered glass screen protector - every phone I've had since my first Note 4 I think! Cheap insurance...

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Sorry. But, the original post title looks like a story BGR would write.
I wouldn't worry about the new S8 being any more damage prone than previous phones. Also, just because a phone costs phone, it doesn't mean it should be more durable. People need to realize that they are $800-1000 devices and treat them as such. Accidents do happen, which is what insurance is for), but are far less likely to happen if you are more careful.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Guys.

Glass is not scratch-proof.

My Moto Z uses GG4 and it already has a couple of fine-scratches.

It's glass. It WILL scratch under day-to-day use, especially when it collects all sorts of whatever and you lay it flat on a table.

Gorilla Glass does not mess much with the hardness of glass. Rather, Gorilla Glass is more focused on impact protection, not scratch-protection. Glass is already a Level 5-6 on Mohs Scale of Hardness.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Guys.

It's glass. It WILL scratch under day-to-day use, especially when it collects all sorts of whatever and you lay it flat on a table.

Gorilla Glass does not mess much with the hardness of glass. Rather, Gorilla Glass is more focused on impact protection, not scratch-protection. Glass is already a Level 5-6 on Mohs Scale of Hardness.

^^ this.

Also, this is why I am not really interested in glass phones.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't mean to bash sammy but if I am paying $800-900+ on a phone, I expect good quality. Maybe offer a Sapphire glass option like HTC?? I think they are using easy-to-scratch Gorilla Glass 5 like the Note 7... Come on, even the Galaxy S4, S5 and Note 3 front screen wouldn't scratch like that. I was considering the black color, but now might stay away. Not impressed by the new versions of Gorilla Glass. Any input on this?

I think sapphire is a bad choice because (among other things) it cracks more easily than the recent Gorilla Glass. In general, the harder the material, the more scratch resistant, but it cracks more easily. For example, plastic scratches easily, but is difficult to crack. Sapphire is scratch resistant, but cracks more easily. The recent Gorilla Glass provide a good balance of both, scratch resistance and resistance to cracking in a fall. I don't know why you think GG5 on Note 7 was easy to scratch.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Guys.

Agreed. Glass phones are bound to scratch under general wear and tear. I'm sure my Honor 8 has scratches on its surface that I can't even see (it's white). It comes with the territory with glass phones, IMO. They're gorgeous but that comes with a price.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance