S8 or S8+??

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I checked a few sites the s8plus is no wider than the S7 Edge so I don't think I'm interested I'm going to hold on and wait for the Note 8 but I may still check it out in the stores just for fun

Dubzgb

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Convinced Verizon to let me check out the 2 phones at the store today. 1st off they are Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! Seeing them in person got me so excited to own it..As for the the size between the two, like I stated earlier I dont have the largest hands and the s8 is the perfect size and felt great to hold. The s8+ didnt feel that bad though, I could reach the home button easily and with it being no wider than the s7edge there was no issue with that. However its too tall for my hands to comfortably reach anything on the top of the phone so that would be something I would have to learn to deal with. Im still at a crossroads as to which I will preorder tonight at midnight but will mostly likely go with the s8+ because its a MASSIVE display in a not too unreasonably sized phone body.

Haggar

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Convinced Verizon to let me check out the 2 phones at the store today. 1st off they are Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! Seeing them in person got me so excited to own it..As for the the size between the two, like I stated earlier I dont have the largest hands and the s8 is the perfect size and felt great to hold. The s8+ didnt feel that bad though, I could reach the home button easily and with it being no wider than the s7edge there was no issue with that. However its too tall for my hands to comfortably reach anything on the top of the phone so that would be something I would have to learn to deal with. Im still at a crossroads as to which I will preorder tonight at midnight but will mostly likely go with the s8+ because its a MASSIVE display in a not too unreasonably sized phone body.

I was 100% certain I was going to go with S8 after the launch event this morning - but I saw both units on display at Best Buy this evening an OH MY WORD - they are AWESOME.

Regarding the size...I have big hands and I could not believe how small the S8+ felt in my hand. I could easily reach the fingerprint sensor on the back and regardless of what reviewers are saying, it really isn't that tough to avoid the camera (side note: apparently the camera software will alert you if/when there is a smudge on the camera lens!!).

I'm going with the S8+ after looking at them today. I would suggest that anyone who is on the fence go and hold them for yourself before making the decision. The S8+ size might surprise you!

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I was 100% certain I was going to go with S8 after the launch event this morning - but I saw both units on display at Best Buy this evening an OH MY WORD - they are AWESOME.

Regarding the size...I have big hands and I could not believe how small the S8+ felt in my hand. I could easily reach the fingerprint sensor on the back and regardless of what reviewers are saying, it really isn't that tough to avoid the camera (side note: apparently the camera software will alert you if/when there is a smudge on the camera lens!!).

I'm going with the S8+ after looking at them today. I would suggest that anyone who is on the fence go and hold them for yourself before making the decision. The S8+ size might surprise you!
I wish it were a smigen wider than s7edge lol

Haggar

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Amy - if you're holding out for a Note hoping it will have a wider screen - I doubt that's going to be the case. I could be wrong - but from a manufacturing standpoint it probably makes more sense for them to maintain the 18.5x9 aspect ratio. When it comes to the Note, I wish they didn't have the curved edges. That was the only thing I didn't like about my Note 7. Seems counter-intuitive to have the edges curved so that your stylus slides right off the...um...edge?

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Curious what others think - will the larger screen size offset the larger battery in the S8+? In other words, will the S8+ have significantly more battery life than the S8 or will the larger screen eat away at any benefits gained from the larger battery?
Marques Brownlee Mkbhd talked about that and basically said that the difference in battery won't be that big because the 6.2 inch screen will consume a lot more battery.

Since both aren't easily removable I don't expect battery life to be great. The S8 plus is huge wow I think in terms of usability the note 4 was pushing it and now Samsung goes to 6.2 wow.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Preordered the S8 plus even though would have liked to buy the S8, think the bigger battery is going to make a difference just like on the S7 and S7 edge.

Haggar

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I posted this elsewhere - but I got a chance to put them both in my hands tonight. I ended up pre-ordering the S8+. It felt wonderful in my hand. The narrow design makes it so easy to hold. It's narrower than the Note 7 and only 6mm taller with that amazing 6.2" screen. I don't think I'm going to have a problem with the S8+ at all.

Haggar

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Preordered the S8 plus even though would have liked to buy the S8, think the bigger battery is going to make a difference just like on the S7 and S7 edge.

I found this chart on CNET (and duplicated elsewhere on the web) today. These are Samsung's numbers, not an independent 3rd party. But it looks like the S8+ should get some *meaningful* additional battery life as a result of the larger battery.

s8-battery.png

Haggar

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Yet worse than the S7 edge.

Yup. But not too bad considering the larger screen and smaller battery. I saw an article earlier today that I didn't get a chance to read. The gist of it was that execs at Samsung are saying that the S8 batteries will have a longer long-term battery life. The big complain about S7 batteries has been that after 6-12 months they aren't holding their charge. Supposedly, the S8 batters will hold their maximum charge much longer than the S7.

I tried to find the article but can't seem to location it. If anyone has more info on that, I'd love to see a link. Otherwise I'll try to find it and post it tomorrow.

Haggar

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Low and behold...just as I was closing down for the night I found this in an open browser window...

From CNET (https://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-galaxy-s8-preview/):

"In addition, Samsung also claims that the S8 battery is about long-term performance rather than a short-term benchmarking burst. It's expected to hold a longer charge after 6 months, a year and two years compared to the S7.

An inside look at Samsung's new battery tests

"Where most batteries hold about 80 percent of their charge after two years, this battery should be capable of 95 percent of its original capacity," said Oh Boo-keun, vice president of Samsung's mobile R&D team."

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yup. But not too bad considering the larger screen and smaller battery. I saw an article earlier today that I didn't get a chance to read. The gist of it was that execs at Samsung are saying that the S8 batteries will have a longer long-term battery life. The big complain about S7 batteries has been that after 6-12 months they aren't holding their charge. Supposedly, the S8 batters will hold their maximum charge much longer than the S7.

I tried to find the article but can't seem to location it. If anyone has more info on that, I'd love to see a link. Otherwise I'll try to find it and post it tomorrow.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...ill-degrade-less-quickly-than-the-galaxy-s7s/

That's all well and good, but I don't keep my phones that long so I'm not that impressed. I'll probably end up with a Note 8.

Aanze

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm from Sweden we have almost the same system with carrier installment plans or buying full price from another store. Sure carriers leave out some models here, but not flagships from major manufacturers.
However comparing a Samsung flagship launch with the Lumia 950 I feel is a little unfair. The S8 will probably outsell the Lumia 950/xl total sales on it's first day.

Oh you're right I was just comparing the selling model, of course I do not expect the S8/S8+ to perform like the L950/L950XL..

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and I'll manage to have my carrier S8+ for around 200/300€ top...
I'm hoping very very hard xD

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I wanted the S8+ but I just pulled the trigger on the silver S8 on Samsung.com for $650, $100 less than at T-Mobile. I refused to pay TMobile a down payment on JOD for the S8+.

Wow, what a good deal! And that silver colour is gorgeous! Let us know how you like it when you get it!

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow, what a good deal! And that silver colour is gorgeous! Let us know how you like it when you get it!
I couldn't pass it up. Looking forward to getting back to a better camera, wireless charging and the Samsung Pay promotions/perks. I recently picked up a Gear S3 Frontier watch with Samsung pay but the promotions aren't available on the watches, just the phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC