Sigh, I'll need yet another Gear VR

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Gear VR when I got my Note 5 and loved it. When I got a Note 7 with it's USB-C connector I needed a new Gear VR with a USB-C connection. Fortunately, I thought, they had an adapter for micro-USB and I would be future proof and this Gear VR would last a year or so. It worked with my S7 Edge, my replacement for the Note 7, with micro-USB adapter. Yea!

Silly me. The S8+ is the same width as the S7 Edge but almost 3/4 inches taller. Not a chance it will fit in the Gear VR that I got last August. So, the most recent Gear VR only lasted me 8 months. The usability time is becoming less, not more.

Sigh.

fragilityV1

Mar 27, 2017
Visit site
I had to give up on my Gear VR with my S6. Overheated way too quick, and I couldn't find a good cooling solution. Hopefully the S8 won't act like a toaster in the Gear.

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
If the "old" design does not work, that would be frustrating being they marketed these as the new design over the older ones that were micro-USB only.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I got a free VR when I ordered the S7 Edge. Now-a-days I don't use it as much. If I got a new one, i thing it will have the same fate.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Gear VR when I got my Note 5 and loved it. When I got a Note 7 with it's USB-C connector I needed a new Gear VR with a USB-C connection. Fortunately, I thought, they had an adapter for micro-USB and I would be future proof and this Gear VR would last a year or so. It worked with my S7 Edge, my replacement for the Note 7, with micro-USB adapter. Yea!

Silly me. The S8+ is the same width as the S7 Edge but almost 3/4 inches taller. Not a chance it will fit in the Gear VR that I got last August. So, the most recent Gear VR only lasted me 8 months. The usability time is becoming less, not more.

Sigh.

It seems as if you are implying this will be your third or fourth gear VR purchase. But reading your post it seems like you only bought one so far, I could be wrong.

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I had to give up on my Gear VR with my S6. Overheated way too quick, and I couldn't find a good cooling solution. Hopefully the S8 won't act like a toaster in the Gear.

Amen. I never went any further than the original innovator edition on my S6, so hoping things have improved a bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781