Samsung Galaxy S8 / S8+ Specs

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S8+ Specs: UHS-I or UHS-II microsd card slot "bus" type?

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]S8+: is there a way to find out if this phone has a MicroSD card slot that uses UHS-I or UHS-II "bus"? I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]UHS-I = single row of contacts (slower max speed); UHS-II = two rows of contacts (faster max speed)[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]Kindly please note that this is NOT the UHS3 (the number 3 inside a letter U). this UHS-I or UHS-II has to do with the "bus" that is reading the micro sd card and also the micro sd card itself: the UHS-I cards have only one row of contacts, while the UHS-II cards have two rows for much higher read/write speeds.

[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]No where was i able to find this information!

[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]Thanks in advance.[/FONT]

The UHS-II cards are very expensive, most of them with 128GB are going for over $200 on Amazon -

SanDisk - (https://www.amazon.com/128GB-Extrem...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5744294)

Delkin - (https://www.amazon.com/Delkin-micro...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5744294)

But I found one that was less than $130 (https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Profes...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5744294)

I think I will wait until the price drops a good amount because I need a 256GB memory card and I still have the free 256GB memory card from Samsung with my Note 7 purchase so I'm not in a rush. Plus I don't even know if getting a UHS-II memory card would even matter on a cellphone at the moment...

Extremevl

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S8+ Specs

The S8 variants look good , I probably would not have minded a 6 GB of ram option though .

It would have been better hands downs! I will still be happy with my S8+ but I rather have more RAM then I need instead of not enough RAM down the road and no way to increase it.

BeyondtheTech

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 Specs

Nice to see that the S8 outperforms the still-hard-to-get-in-stock Pixel XL in speed and memory usage. Not sure if the reviewer is using the S8 with the Exynos or Snapdragon CPU, though.

Also, this article does confirm that the Snapdragon 835-version of the S8 is barely beaten by the Exynos 8895-version of the S8.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...rmed-by-exynos-8895-soc-in-benchmarks-1676567

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site

There's a reason they filmed in that ratio.
Yeah, like that's the equipment the studio gave them, that's the film that was cheaper, etc etc. ;)

Just kidding, I agree with you that for movies that were made as an art form, (as opposed to everyday entertainment movies) I want the full experience that the director intended.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

It's gonna take time for everyone to optimize their apps to the new aspect ratio. But for what's supported now, it looks pretty good to me.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I haven't really looked into it but maybe Netflix isn't actually pushing the content in 2:1, maybe they crop to 1.85:1. Although not new, 2:1 isn't a widely accepted format but maybe it will gain some traction so there can a standard aspect ratio going forward. There really are to many.

G6 is 18:9 and now the S8/S8+ is 18.5:9. There has been speculation that Apple may also move to 18:9. I think this is where it is headed and if Apple does it, then it's only a matter of time since that's how the market moves. But anyway, that's 2 big flagships that have moved to 18:9 and after reading up on this, I think it was a good move by Samsung to go with the trend for the future, but also to push that ratio forward.

cliberti

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
1 Question. I saw in one spot that they list support for 24/384 and DSD 56 and 128. Is this for all variants, only US version, or only rest of world version? Does the stock music app need to be used? Is poweramp, Onky HF Player, or other app supported?

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 Specs

It's a compromise between size and battery life. As someone else said maybe they're playing it safe after the Note 7. Either way I think 300mAh will be enough.

It just needs to last me all day with moderate use. I always charge them over night. All day for me is 4:30 am till about 9 pm

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
5.8" is gonna be HUGE for me if I get it - I've done 5.5" before but I feel that extra 0.3" might be too much! But that's why you gotta go to the store and see how it fares in the hand. :)

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site

I have the s7 Edge and the regular 8 is a little smaller. The 8 Plus is the one I'm going with on Friday. Narrower and easy to hold. Bigger screen without being wider works for me. And I won't miss the hard home button on the Edge. I do wish they had put an IR blaster back in. A girl can dream.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I have the s7 Edge and the regular 8 is a little smaller. The 8 Plus is the one I'm going with on Friday. Narrower and easy to hold. Bigger screen without being wider works for me. And I won't miss the hard home button on the Edge. I do wish they had put an IR blaster back in. A girl can dream.

I'm with you - I will definitely not miss the home button. What colour are you going to get?! :)

BeyondtheTech

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
S7 and S7 Edge had 256QAM, 4x4 MIMO, and Carrier Aggregation activated with a software update for T-Mobile users, but there's been no mention of it in the S8 and S8 Plus. Are we to assume it's also got it and enabled by default?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty