Bixby button can be recapped to Google Assistance

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Out-frickin-standing! Looks like you can remap it to do pretty much whatever you want, not just launch Google Assistant.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Wow great news, I thought that will be useless if I have to use only Bixby. But Google Assistant yes !!!!

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Bloody spellcheck changed the "remapped" in the title to "recapped". Lol.

I do agree, I'll give Bixby a try. If I dislike Bixby, I'm switching it to Google.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You do realize that the app used to remap the button states that part of the permissions used allow the app access to all of your personal data and all your text input INCLUDING your credit card numbers. Doesn't anyone check what permissions an app is taking? You just give some developer access to all your information including your cc numbers?

Who needs hackers when people seem overjoyed to give away their critical data.

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
You do realize that the app used to remap the button states that part of the permissions used allow the app access to all of your personal data and all your text input INCLUDING your credit card numbers. Doesn't anyone check what permissions an app is taking? You just give some developer access to all your information including your cc numbers?

Who needs hackers when people seem overjoyed to give away their critical data.

Yeah, I agree...this is a substantial risk. And I can't think of why it would need to "Observe text you type...This includes personal data such as credit card numbers and passwords."

Maybe...MAYBE...for gesture you would need that but why would you need that kind of permission for a hardware watch command? Essentially, you are installing a keylogger on your system.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
None of us asked for this INTRUSIVE Bixby yet it is being forced upon us. The more I think about it the more I am considering canceling my pre-order. I just don't trust this 'Bixby' one bit!

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
That's cool. I have been debating on getting the S8 plus for a while now. Trying not to get it. But after reading about this a maybe a option I decided today to pre order the s8 plus.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
From Samsung's own web page:

"Bixby Talks: Bixby knows your phone’s apps and how to use them."
"Bixby sees: Bixby lives inside your Camera, Gallery and Internet to give you a deeper understanding of what you’re looking at"
"Bixby learns your routine, so you’ll always have the right content ready when you need it. From your recent messages and upcoming events, to your next Uber ride and daily news—Bixby pulls the most important information from different apps"
This Bixby thing is concerning people!

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
None of us asked for this INTRUSIVE Bixby yet it is being forced upon us. The more I think about it the more I am considering canceling my pre-order. I just don't trust this 'Bixby' one bit!

It's not forced on you. You agree to it when you buy the phone. Buy something else if you don't like it. Pretty simple.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
From Samsung's own web page:

"Bixby Talks: Bixby knows your phone’s apps and how to use them."
"Bixby sees: Bixby lives inside your Camera, Gallery and Internet to give you a deeper understanding of what you’re looking at"
"Bixby learns your routine, so you’ll always have the right content ready when you need it. From your recent messages and upcoming events, to your next Uber ride and daily news—Bixby pulls the most important information from different apps"
This Bixby thing is concerning people!

No different than Google.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
This in-bred Mountain Man would like to know why the 2 above posters are all for Bixby. My paranoia needs to know this. They make it sound like Bixby is their best friend and they been waiting for IT all these years, seen as this is the first phone with it EMBEDDED.