Which side do you like the back button on?

Which side do you like the back button on?

• Total voters

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
The S8 is the first time I've been super plugged-in on discussing a new phone, and maybe I'm really late to the party but I'm surprised to see a lot of hate for Samsung's historical choice of having the back button on the right side of the phone. Am I the only one that likes the back button where Samsung has always had it? As a righty, it's easier for my thumb to hit a right-side back button than a left-side one, at least on the large phones I've been using since the original Note came out.

Anyway just to help kill some time until April 21, please vote in the poll and discuss your vote below.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've always hated the right placement for the back button... It's counterintuitive. At least here in the States, everything goes left to right. The righthand direction implies progress, increasing amounts, etc. As a language thing, 'back' has people show a tendency to left direction.

Even the graphic Samsung uses for the back button implies this... it's an arrow that is going right, swings around and goes back, to the left. It's like they are saying "Yeah, back's that way!"

I'm right handed, but almost exclusively hold my phone in my left hand. The recents button is actually the easier of the two buttons to reach since it falls exactly where the pad of my thumb is without my having to bend my finger at all, so one would think I would prefer a right side placement for the back button. But I hate it...

It's like walking up to an elevator and seeing this

buttons.jpg

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it really matters which side the back button is on since there is no 'corrects' side. 😃

I just think the left hand side is more 'natural' since it fits in with all the Apps I use on a daily basis. For example AndroidCentral app has the back button on the left hand side at the top. So I'm used to the back button being on the left side.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
In the past 4 years i've owned the S4, HTC One M9, S6, S7E and upcoming year will be S8+. I'm so used to the back button on the right, but that one year with HTC, man it only took me like a day or two to get used to the back button being on the other side.

So i'll probably switch it the day i get the S8+ and then forget i did it and just think this is how it was supposed to be all along.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I prefer the right side since I use the phone one-handed with my left hand. It's easier to reach than the left side. It has nothing to do with left to right or right to left, it's simple reachability. At least now nobody can ***** about it being on the "wrong" side.

echo_808

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Since ive been using Samsung since the S2 ive gotten used to it being on the right. With the S8+ ill keep it the same way.

Viscomi4444

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I always used the same argument as the OP. Why have the back button on the left side when most people are right handed? I've been used to the back button on the right side years before I had a phone with a stock Android (blackberry PRIV, note7 replacement).

When I get my s8+, the back button will remain on the right side to avoid any extra longer reaches.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The S8 is the first time I've been super plugged-in on discussing a new phone, and maybe I'm really late to the party but I'm surprised to see a lot of hate for Samsung's historical choice of having the back button on the right side of the phone. Am I the only one that likes the back button where Samsung has always had it? As a righty, it's easier for my thumb to hit a right-side back button than a left-side one, at least on the large phones I've been using since the original Note came out.

Anyway just to help kill some time until April 21, please vote in the poll and discuss your vote below.

Same. I changed it from the default left to the right for my LG phone

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Definitely going on the left. Nothing worse than having multiple Android devices in the my house and everything else being on the left except my phone.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I prefer left... but I really want to select Bacon!!!! hahahaha

I had to change the back key on my tablet because i couldn't on the phone. but with soft buttons I will be able to!!! YAY

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
Ha I'm really surprised that nobody has voted for bacon yet. Also surprised to see that it's pretty evenly split. Currently 7-6 in favor of Left.

It is nice to have the choice.

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I've always hated the right placement for the back button... It's counterintuitive. At least here in the States, everything goes left to right. The righthand direction implies progress, increasing amounts, etc. As a language thing, 'back' has people show a tendency to left direction.
You make a very good point about convention. Whenever I see dials or gauges where the nominal needle position is not close to straight up, it drives me nuts. But for the back button, it does curve back around to the left, so that part follows convention. You seem to dislike that with the back button positioned on the right, the arrow points back at the home button rather than off the edge of the device. And that's a perfectly valid dislike. However the elevator buttons you posted aren't analogous to the back button situation...it's more like having a down button and then the firefighter operation button below it.

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
The note 7 was the only android phone I ever had. I was not even aware that Samsung was different until like November. Now I am kind of torn on it, for some reason having it on the left seems more natural to me. I guess that goes back to all the web browsers that are set up like that.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Like it the way it's on every other Android phone. I use multiple phones so like them to be all consistent.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the right. I'm right handed and use the back button more the multitasking button. So the right side makes it easier, especially when using the phone one handed.