Question About USB-C Connection

michaelp68

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I am upgrading from an S6 Edge +. I am wondering whether I will be able to use the USB charging cables that I already had, or if I will need new ones due to the USB-C connection on the S8+.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I am upgrading from an S6 Edge +. I am wondering whether I will be able to use the USB charging cables that I already had, or if I will need new ones due to the USB-C connection on the S8+.

I'm switching from an S6 also and have been trying to figure out the Cable situation to. I ended up buying a 5 pack of USB type C to USB type A cables last night.

One thing I'm uncertain about is if the new wall chargers for the S8 will be type C to type C or type A to type c. So confused when I'm looking to buy extra chargers and cables for work and auto lol.

It's interesting though, I pre ordered my S8 this weekend and now this week both my Note 3 and S6's batteries have been getting worst by the day. Very very strange.

hhmorgan

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Rumline

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
One thing I'm uncertain about is if the new wall chargers for the S8 will be type C to type C or type A to type c. So confused when I'm looking to buy extra chargers and cables for work and auto lol.
Count me confused as well. I hope that these S8s support the USB Power Delivery standard, just with a straight USB-C to USB-C cable That would be the cleanest solution. Because if it's just Qualcomm QC 2.0 on a USB-A to -C cable, that is weaksauce.

It's interesting though, I pre ordered my S8 this weekend and now this week both my Note 3 and S6's batteries have been getting worst by the day. Very very strange.
No need to worry until you hear the helicopters circling your house.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little concerned about whether my Hyundai will still recognize the phone when I plug it in to use Android Auto. I've read a few threads around the Internet about other phones that use USB-C not working too well with Android Auto, unless you upgrade to high-end cables.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Also, Best Buy has type A to C cables in 4' and 10' lengths. I would bet that with the S8/8+ you'll see more A to C cables and you'll start seeing more Windows laptops and Chrome Books coming out with USB-C built in. They'll probably have both type A and type C ports for the short term as USB-C phones and cameras are produced.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I pre ordered my S8 this weekend and now this week both my Note 3 and S6's batteries have been getting worst by the day. Very very strange.

I swear, ordered the S8+ and now my 3-year old Note 4 that's been near perfect most of the time has been showing weird "bugs" like NFC turning itself on constantly, Facebook not refreshing, Opera Browser not displaying images, etc

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Amazon has plenty of food options for USB C now. Read the reviews to make sure you don't get a bad one. The adapters also provide a short term solution.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I just got it over with and bought USB-A to USB-C cables from Best Buy for my fast charging bricks at work and the Samsung rapid car charger. Keeping track of the micro-USB to USB-C adapters would be a pain for me than just switching cables depending on which Samsung smartphone is being charged.

speed13

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
What guys you are buying as to have in car type C cable? I don't need any chargers since I have it from my old edge 7 but I need good quality type C cable to use with existing charger in the car and work. I can use adapter that came with the phone at work but still need minimum one more fast charging cable for my car.

Thank you