Any considerations for buying an S8 for international use?

Goffredo530

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

I live in the US but will be moving to Italy in the fall; I would like to buy an S8.

My question for you experts! Are there any considerations for buying an S8 that I intend to use in the US on Verizon/AT&T for a while, and then in Europe using a SIM from a local European (Italian) carrier?

For example:
* It seems if I buy the S8 from AT&T, I must wait 2 months before they will unlock it. I don't like that.

* Are there any hardware differences to consider, such as supported radio frequencies, between an S8 purchased in the US, and in Europe? Or is it exactly the same?

My gut feeling is to buy the phone directly from Samsung online, but the first thing it asks is what carrier I am using. Why is this? Would the phone be carrier-locked, or have different radio hardware, depending on what I select here?

Thank you for your help!

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm going abroad for three months in may. I always buy Verizon versions because they come unlocked. Att will unlock if you pay full price. T-Mobile will unlock after 40 days even if you own the phone outright. I believe all phones are the same GSM wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22