Samsung has Removed the Ability to Remap the Bixby Button on the Galaxy S8/S8+

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
"Flar2 was in the process of updating his Button Mapper application to support remapping the Bixby button soon after he received his Samsung Galaxy S8 from Telus in Canada. He was able to get the application working initially, but after he downloaded the latest system update from Samsung (build version NRD90M.G950WVLU1AQD9), he discovered that his application was no longer working. It turns out that Samsung has modified the system to consume the Bixby button’s key events before it reaches the Accessibility Services, effectively making it impossible to remap the Bixby button as of now (at least without root access)."

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Because they are forcing you to use Bixby as often as possible. Even if you accidentally hit the button or swipe any of the tiniest data it can get like location at time they can use and sell and make more money from you and count it as a click and say more people access it over Google.

Why on Earth would they do that!?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Another reason I'm waiting for Note 8. After the outcry they'll probably change it back by the time Note 8 comes out.

I kind of doubt that. If the Note 8 has a Bixby button, I fully expect it to be locked to Bixby.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I kind of doubt that. If the Note 8 has a Bixby button, I fully expect it to be locked to Bixby.

Personally if it were locked to Bixby, I don't know how long it would last. There are a lot of talented coders out there.

Stickboy46#CB

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Another reason I'm waiting for Note 8. After the outcry they'll probably change it back by the time Note 8 comes out.

I doubt there would be an "outcry" that matters over this. Small number of people on tech forums are really meaningless in the grand scheme of Galaxy Phone development.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I actually think that this is a smart decision. It gives Bixby a fighting chance and affords choice to the consumer. If you do not like Bixby go with a non-Samsung device or map the assistant somewhere else. It does feel Apple-esque but this approach has been shown to work well. Galaxy brand is much like Apple. Those that buy it don't perceive it as buying Android. They perceive it as buying Galaxy.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I actually think that this is a smart decision. It gives Bixby a fighting chance and affords choice to the consumer. If you do not like Bixby go with a non-Samsung device or map the assistant somewhere else. It does feel Apple-esque but this approach has been shown to work well. Galaxy brand is much like Apple. Those that buy it don't perceive it as buying Android. They perceive it as buying Galaxy.

The assistant is already mapped to holding the home button down.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
What's the difference between Bixby and assistant? It's just another thing I probably won't use. It would be nice to be able to remap it but it's not a big deal to me.

xsikal

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
As someone who doesn't want to root his phone, but would prefer to be able to map the button to something I'm actually going to use, this sucks. :(

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Interesting quote about not buying android but buying Samsung Galaxy I'm sure this is what Samsung is intending to do

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood