- Mine arrived today but haven't really had much of a chance to play with it. I let Google do it's thing and download all my apps, or at least most of them, might be 1 or 2 missing.
I do like the size of the phone and the screen and seems to be fine in my hands. I've set up the Iris scanner but not sure if I have it set up in the best way. I have to do a long press on the home key and then a swipe to get the Iris scanner up, but once up it's very quick. Ideally would like for it to just work from the lock screen without having to do anything except hold the phone up. If anyone has some details if this is possible then please share
One feature I am liking is that when I put the phone in my car, in the middle near the cup holders, it will charge via wireless since my car has a wireless charger built in. That is great in that I don't need a cable in my car, just pop it in the middle and it charges
Screen is very nice, only have it at around 50% right now and that seems plenty bright, but will get a better feel over the weekend when I am out in the FL sunshine.
I am coming from a HTC 10, which I love is still silky smooth after 1 year. That is my only concern, how well the S8 holds up over time and if it will slow down.04-20-2017 09:18 PM
- My S8+ arrived last night. Some early thoughts
1 - FPS is as bad as expected. When setting it up I had to basically turn the screen away from me so I was looking at the back to ensure I did not get the errors. Once registered it is slightly better but on the plus the stretch coupled with no physical reference to feel for and guide you makes it hit and miss. Sorry Samsung this is a really poor implementation.
2 - Luckily for point 1 the iris scanner is really fast and works well, I feared it would be slower than pin unlock but it is not, also seems to work well in low light. Does mitigate the FPS to a degree. Not tried face recognition yet
3 - Love the black
4 - The virtual bezel is actually quite large so in real world use for most apps you are not really gaining that screen space
5 - No red tint that I can see
6 - More compact than I remember from the display models. Feels more manageable than an iPhone 7+. Not at all unwieldy.
Overall, really like it so far just hoping the FPS does not start to grate over time.04-21-2017 03:30 AM
- Received my S8+ yesterday (upgrading from S6E) from EE (UK) and really happy with it. I am torn between what I am most impressed by: the ergonomics of the plus, the screen or the iris scanner. The iris scanner works a charm in all light situations for me, included in the dark.... while in bed!
I did not like the the fact that I needed to swipe up in the lock screen to activate the iris scanner but then found a setting to kick it in automatically when screen switches on.
Now I am just trying to find the right case; currently I am on the samsung 2 piece case which I think is perfect for around the house but would be less comfortable with it out and about - I don't consider myself a prone 'dropper'. Waiting for the mint green Alcantara case to arrive to test it out in the wild.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a premium back cover aside from the Alcantara?04-21-2017 07:31 AMLike 2
- Checked again to just confirm impressions of the display after the fifth time comparing content with my Note 4. I luv everything about the 8+, but prefer the content on the Note 4 since more display surface is used with no need for cropping to fill the screen. If the portrait display was as wide as the Note 4 I'd be sold, but guess that will be the Note 8.
Since I do luv everything else (well, not the Bix button), tried to will myself into liking the display ratio. Display whining aside, great device. The BB demos do not do the 8+ justice, since resources tied up to the Samsung demo software.04-21-2017 07:39 AM
- So Far going good, no major issues, performance , cell signal, WiFi, both camera's, most apps running well. Kindle does run in What I would call "compatibility view mode", My Phone does not have the reddish tint some have complained about. I do miss my s-pen tho.
**Not fond of the Bixby button and it's location, I keep hitting it by accident**
BR04-21-2017 07:51 AM
- I'm coming from an iPhone 6S Plus. Before that I had a myriad of android phones - Droid Eris, Droid X, Moto X, Galaxy S4 etc. My first impressions are mostly good but a few issues:
The screen is amazing. The colors and the ergonomics just make it a joy to use and look at. The FPS is usable and not as bad as I thought it might be. Face recognition/iris scanner is very good and works most of the time. Even on the iPhone Plus there was some wrangling you had to do to unlock the phone and it's not different with the S8 Plus. The build quality and feel in the hand is very good also. Doesn't feel unwieldy and fits the pocket nicely. Battery life seems good and charging time is very fast. Overall the phone is pretty smooth but there is a little more choppiness than I thought there might be. The Bluetooth audio is very good but the external speaker is just adequate.
Now for the not so good. I'm surprised that a lot of the apps I use are not nearly as well optimized on android. For instance Twitter. On my iPhone it scrolls perfectly smooth with no issues and has a minimalistic navigation bar fixed at the bottom of the screen. On android, the (bulky) navigation bar is at the top of the screen and it disappears when scrolling then reappears once you stop scrolling. This is really annoying because it creates a rubber band effect meaning when you stop scrolling where you want to the app then makes the navigation bar come back and it moves your timeline down past where you were at. I'm assuming this is a "feature" but it just makes the app seem choppy and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off. Also, a couple of financial/banking apps that I use don't support fingerprint to unlock on android.
With all that being said I really like the phone but kind of on the fence about whether I'm going to keep it or not. I'm going to use it for a solid week and then decide. I think we're past the point of one flagship phone being "better" than another one. At this point it's really just which manufacturer and operating system you prefer. I04-21-2017 08:11 AM
- Upgraded from VZ S6E to S8 and love this phone. Unicorn Beetle case fits well.
Only major issue thus far is that my AW 2.0 watch won't connect properly. It keeps seeming to pair, but AW constantly says "Trying to Connect", and the notifications to the watch are very inconsistent. Something's very wrong with that. I do not know if this is a S8 thing or a general Nougat thing, because I came from the S6E and that was Marshmallow (and worked fine right to the point I shut it down).
Otherwise, it's absolutely a beautiful phone and a definite keeper!
-AJ04-21-2017 08:14 AM
- I was unsure I was keeping my S8 after a few hours with it, but I am totally in love with this device! it is beautiful, feels great in the hand, great battery life right out of the box, better than my S7E easily, and will get better over the next few charge cycles, well done Sammy04-21-2017 08:22 AM
- 04-21-2017 09:34 AM
- 04-21-2017 10:23 AM
- 04-21-2017 10:23 AM
- So far so good. I ordered the complete VR package deal and was very impressed with the packaging of everything. The AKG headphones sound amazing! (wish they were a tad louder but WOW are they impressive)
Been getting everything set up. Always takes some getting used to for me when switching phones. I'm switching from a ZTE Axon7. I'm amazed with the iris scanner. I can't get over how fast it unlocks. I thought certainly it was cheating but I handed it to 6 different co-workers and it wouldn't unlock. Color my impressed.
It'll take me a while to get used to all the new features but so far so good. The speaker sounds pretty good for a single and I haven't tried the included ear buds yet. It's so much smaller than my Axon7 so I'm getting used to that as well. I wish I could make the icons/text a bit bigger as everything seems about half the size as they were on the Axon. One thing that was really neat to me was that as I was watching TV and looking over my photos and settings, I got a popup if I'd like to stream to my Samsung 55" 4k TV. I tried it out and just WOW! It mirrors the phone and was pretty quick. Videos took a little bit but photos were snappy and displayed beautifully.
I'm pretty happy with mine. I'm running the AOD and auto screen brightness. Been off the charger since 6:30 and still 84% battery with me texting and messing around with it. (also put it in a Spigen case with kickstand. VERY good purchase.)04-21-2017 10:40 AM
- did anyone notice the screen does not have to be lit up to use the fps. when the screen is dark just rest your finger on the fps and it will unlock. thats one thing i hated about the s7e and iphone is that you have to push the home button before the fps can be used04-21-2017 11:02 AM
- By VW Maverick in forum Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8+Replies: 22Last Post: Yesterday, 12:37 PM
- By donm527 in forum Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8+Replies: 2Last Post: 04-18-2017, 11:16 AM
- By ilordvader in forum Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8+ Themes & ModsReplies: 0Last Post: 04-18-2017, 09:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD