Transfer from S7 Edge to S8+: NFC SmartSwitch or New Wired Method?

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Question please regarding how to transfer all data/info from current S7 Edge to the incoming new S8+:

Assuming you have a current Samsung phone (I have the S7 Edge), how do you transfer all your information from your old phone to your S8+? in the past, i've always used the Samsung Smart Switch, which uses NFC to transfer the data over. it works but i'd say only around 90% or so of the stuff gets transferred over. there's always around 10% that's somehow, not done.

I also read that there is some NEW USB-type adapter included in the box (I'm not talking about the USB-C adapter) and it is supposed to be used as an alternate method of transferring from your old Samsung to your S8+.

is that true please? what is the NEW WIRED method or the NFC previous method? are you using Smart Switch even if you're using the new wired method?

thank you.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there.

First things first: Smart Switch does NOT use NFC to transfer data. It uses it to pair the phones but the data transfer occurs either on Bluetooth or WiFi Direct.

I prefer the wired method just because it's faster, but like you say, there might be stuff that for some reason refuses to transfer over. Most of the time, though, it should. As for the adapter, it's not new per-se. It's the same as the one included with the Note 7: an OTG USB-C dongle. You need that to read data off the phone to be transferred.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi there.

First things first: Smart Switch does NOT use NFC to transfer data. It uses it to pair the phones but the data transfer occurs either on Bluetooth or WiFi Direct.

I prefer the wired method just because it's faster, but like you say, there might be stuff that for some reason refuses to transfer over. Most of the time, though, it should. As for the adapter, it's not new per-se. It's the same as the one included with the Note 7: an OTG USB-C dongle. You need that to read data off the phone to be transferred.

Thank you, @SpookDroid, for your reply.

May I ask how one would use the "wired method" to do Smart Switch?

It's odd that I've never seen a "wired method" in the "Getting Started Guide" or "Manual" to my current S7 Edge! It only says use SmartSwitch and I thought it implied that it HAD to be wireless!! None of my friends have ever used the "wired method" either!

How would one learn how to use SmartSwitch AND use the "wired method" please?

Thank you.

mholdr

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Switching to the Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S7
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ung.com%2Fus%2Fsmart-switch%2F&token=3Ga605ej

or
second part of this...
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/use-samsungs-smart-switch-to-quickly-set-up-your-galaxy-s7/

Plug the adapter into the bottom of your new device, connecting the cable to your old phone. USB transfer works with older Galaxy devices running Android 4.3 and up, iOS 5 or above, and BlackBerry OS 7 devices or lower. Users of non-Galaxy Android devices can download the Smart Switch app which facilitates the transfer process without a USB cable.

Your new Galaxy device will recognize the device connected to it and walk you through the process.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, @SpookDroid, for your reply.

May I ask how one would use the "wired method" to do Smart Switch?

It's odd that I've never seen a "wired method" in the "Getting Started Guide" or "Manual" to my current S7 Edge! It only says use SmartSwitch and I thought it implied that it HAD to be wireless!! None of my friends have ever used the "wired method" either!

How would one learn how to use SmartSwitch AND use the "wired method" please?

Thank you.

There should be something within the manuals that Samsung provides that shows how to transfer from samsung device to samsung device using the wired method.

I used this last year from my S6 to my S7E and it was very fast. Plan on doing it asap when i get home!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There should be something within the manuals that Samsung provides that shows how to transfer from samsung device to samsung device using the wired method.

I used this last year from my S6 to my S7E and it was very fast. Plan on doing it asap when i get home!

There is. As soon as you open Smart Switch you are greeted by asking you whether you want to transfer Wirelessly or via USB Cable. Both options come with a step-by-step connection animation and description .

tjayne1960

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
I tried the wired method several times & it kept getting anywhere from 50 to 99%, then say it was disconnected & I wasn't touching the phones. Wireless supposedly was completed, but don't see where any data moved. Think I'm going to go back to Helium. Btw, I'm going from S6 to S8+. I love new phones, but hate this part. I miss the old days of Windows phones, when you could do a backup, then restore & voila! Everything was just like before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair