Will encrypting a SD slow a S8 down?

Tommy Bayshore

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I have seen many (very OLD) posts about encrypting a SD card and it slowing things down on the phone. Im curious to know if newer technology phones such as the S8+ with a extremely fast 256GB micro SD (Samsung card) will take a performance hit if you enable encryption?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The same very old, mostly misconstrued theory still holds for the S8: Encryption slows things down. It's just how it is since you're adding a layer of security that has to be decrypted for it to be used, and that takes more processing than a non-encrypted one. Will that, however, be noticeable? That depends on the device, and on most modern devices, it's negligible.

On top of that, if you encrypt the SD Card but not the internal memory, since the S8 (AFAIK) doesn't support Adoptable Storage, will not be as affected since it's only decrypting data off of the removable storage media and not its 'everyday' memory.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
No it won't. I have a Galaxy Tab S2 with a 128GB card that is encrypted and it doesn't seem to slow it down.

I didn't move or install any apps onto the card though. Running apps from the microSD card will slow it down more than encrypting it will. That is because the on board memory is hard wired to the motherboard and the processor has a direct pipe to it, where as the microSD card has to go through a card reader.

I get my phone tonight, but I won't be able to get a card for it until tomorrow at the earliest. I'm going to encrypt both the phone and the card. I like the added security.