S8+ Gmail Sync Issue! Doesn't sync nor give notifications on a timely basis

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Sadly, something MAJOR came up now!!

the dreaded "gmail is experiencing sync issues" came up. this time, it's doubly odd because i was too busy and it was too late last night for me to sync/enter more than merely my main gmail account. so the S8+'s gmail app ONLY has one single gmail account to handle, so it ought not bee "over worked"!!

alas, it's not sync'ing properly. it takes a very long time, and the amount of time for the notification to come is completely haphazard. it can be more than a couple of hours, or it can be 10 minutes. nonetheless, it is far longer than normal.

my S7 Edge which i was using until last night (and is the phone i'm returning soon) is running side by side (albeit without a SIM card now) and the S7 Edge is receiving gmail notifications INSTANTLY!

i don't know what to do! i haven't even added my other "secondary" or less important gmail accounts yet!

what should i do?

i've googled this issue years ago, and have just done so yet again. none of the attempted "fixes" seem to work for people. it is sort of like: if you're unlikely enough to get this problem, good luck to you!

i don't know what to do. many folks wrote about how REMOVING the gmail account and then adding it back in doesn't seem to help either! it seems like a pretty drastic step considering how many emails i have in my main email account, but, if it is a definite fix, i might just have to do it. however, according to those who wrote to ask for help, they even tried removing their gmail account and adding the account/username back in and it still was having "gmail is having sync'ing issues".

may i ask if anyone might be able to help please?

thank you so much.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have my work and my home email under the gmail app. My home email is gmx and my work email is Microsoft exchange. They're doing fine and I use auto sync. If you have an actual gmail email maybe the gmail email has sync issues itself(?) Unsure

Highrisedrifter

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I stopped using the Gmail app on iOS after an update some time ago when they disallowed me to use my own notification tone. The one they had actually made me irritable, it was so annoying.

I need three separate email apps, for work and personal use (need to keep them utterly separate) so i'm unsure what apps i'll go to, being i'm a recent Apple convert.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
OP, not an S8 exclusive problem, my S7 edge that has been working great all this time it's been doing the same for the past couple of days. One thing I can tell you, I've had the same issue with my previous Pixel, Pixel XL and Axon 7 after the Nougat update, so it must be something going on with Nougat and the core Doze feature.

Only thing has helped me before is to go to Sync on Account or Gmail app settings and turn it off for each account and on again. Due to this I've been playing with the idea of just use the Native email app, if it wasn;t because it doesn't provide a Delete option from the notification (On the notification are or Lockscreen) I'd already done it.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
OP, not an S8 exclusive problem, my S7 edge that has been working great all this time it's been doing the same for the past couple of days. One thing I can tell you, I've had the same issue with my previous Pixel, Pixel XL and Axon 7 after the Nougat update, so it must be something going on with Nougat and the core Doze feature.

Only thing has helped me before is to go to Sync on Account or Gmail app settings and turn it off for each account and on again. Due to this I've been playing with the idea of just use the Native email app, if it wasn;t because it doesn't provide a Delete option from the notification (On the notification are or Lockscreen) I'd already done it.

Hi there, @erasat et al:

thanks for your reply.

this "not sync'ing properly" is annoying and inconvenient beyond description.

i am not certain that this "not sync'ing properly" is due to Nougat. i had this issue with a number of other phones for many years!!

that said, i always input more than one gmail account. since i got my S8+ very late last evening, i barely have enough time to set it up so i only added one single gmail account - my main account. typically, this account doesn't have gmail sync'ing issues. this account HAS HAD, in the past, CONTACTS sync'ing issues, and now, in addition to the gmail not sync'ing properly, the CONTACTS is also NOT sync'ing properly.

frustrating to the extreme.

Now, starting late afternoon today, 4/20th, my gmail started to sync again but there's a significant lag behind my S7 Edge (i'm returning the S7 Edge as it's Jump on Demand exchange for the S8+). For the next couple of days, I'll have my S7 Edge (without SIM card inside) along with my S8+.

When you have these two next to each other, the S7 Edge's gmail sync'ing is almost instantaneous, i.e. if i were to write an email on my desktop PC in gmail to myself, immediately after i click SEND on my desktop PC, the S7 Edge would have a gmail notification tone. on the S8+, however, it won't ring for easily 5 to 30 minutes, just according to my limited experience starting late afternoon today, as that's the time my gmail sync'ing started to sort of / kind of working again.

May i ask if anyone can figure this strange problem out? I googled this many times to try to find an answer, but no real answer out there, i think.

Another related issue:

along with this Gmail no sync'ing properly issue, the CONTACTS isn't syncing in one direction either! If i make a change to one of my contacts on my desktop PC, the S8+ shows the change right away. however, if i make a change on one of my S8+'s contacts, my desktop PC's contacts does NOT change for a very long time - it's been almost 2 hours now and the desktop PC's contact still hasn't reflected that change i made on my S8+'s contact.
thank you.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Not an S8 problem but a Google problem. I've had this issue occasionally for years on every device I've owned. Remove the account and add it again. Worked for me.

downery

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
Had this issue since i switched to the S8+. Tried all the advice i found but didn't work.

Don't know why or how, could just be coincidence but after trying everything else i went into -Settings -Apps -Gmail and changed it to have priority notification settings and i've been getting my e-mails on time again.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't use gmail. I have Gmx mail for home and Microsoft Exchange for work. Both sync fine. I've heard others complain of sync issues with gmail.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Had this issue since i switched to the S8+. Tried all the advice i found but didn't work.

Don't know why or how, could just be coincidence but after trying everything else i went into -Settings -Apps -Gmail and changed it to have priority notification settings and i've been getting my e-mails on time again.

I think maybe a step is missing. I can't seem to find that option

jeremyds45

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
It's the Gmail app itself, have the same problem with it on my note 5... Doesn't give me notifications when a new emails come in. Something broken in the app. I use Nova unread count notifications, so at least when I look at the app icon it shows if I have a new email. Which is a complete joke...

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue a couple of years ago on my Note 4. I can't remember exactly how I fixed it but it seems like I may have wiped the app data or even removed and re-added my account.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I know this might seem like a duh duh, but when in the gmail app, is everyone setting the notifications to notify for every email received? There's an option for notify once and notify for every email. Might be worth a double check!

Mark8768

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I have had the issue on and off with the gmail app. Just went through it on S8 plus... had to remove and readd accounts which seems to have fixed it. That gmail app goes screwy about every 3rd time they update it..

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Settings, apps, Gmail, under app settings go into notifications and 'allow notifications' should be on and also turn on 'set as priority'

Weird. I don't have that option. Under notifications, I have allow notifications (that I can only toggle on or off), show silently, and show content on lock screen. This is a Verizon S8+

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I know this might seem like a duh duh, but when in the gmail app, is everyone setting the notifications to notify for every email received? There's an option for notify once and notify for every email. Might be worth a double check!

Good call. Mine was set to only notify once. I would like to find this priority option though

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
This is the phone being too aggressive with power saving. I had the same issue with the Blackberry Hub and fixed it.

Go to Settings and search for "Power Saving Mode" (it's also Device Maintenance>Battery>Power Saving Mode).

Go to the bottom of the screen and select "Unmonitored Apps" and go to the bottom again and select "Add Apps". You can then add Gmail so it's not being powered down resulting in delayed notifications coming in.

Hope that fixes it for you! Fixed the Blackberry Hub delayed notification issue for me!

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
@Techno-guy:

hi there and thanks so much for giving your advice on how to remove gmail from "power saving".

however, gmail does NOT appear on the list on the bottom of that screen (unmonitored apps) so i am unable to choose it in order to tell it to NEVER put it to sleep.

may i ask you to please kindly see if there is another way to get to getting this done please?

thank you in advance.

much appreciated.

btw, the power savings issue might not be the issue here, as when i send emails from my desktop PC to myself, even when i've just used gmail on my phone (so gmail cannot possibly be put to sleep yet), often, the emails are still delayed substantially.