Will it charge faster with a QC3 charger?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone figured out if it will charge faster if you use a QC3 charger vs the apparently QC2 that comes with it?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope. QC3 is not compatible with the S8, so it defaults to QC2 charging speeds even when using a compatible QC3 charger.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Nope. QC3 is not compatible with the S8, so it defaults to QC2 charging speeds even when using a compatible QC3 charger.

All I can say is, wow that is so stupid (that they put 2yo charging speed in it). I'd imagine there must be some logic for it somewhere.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is, wow that is so stupid (that they put 2yo charging speed in it). I'd imagine there must be some logic for it somewhere.

Yes, there is: Royalties. QC3 is a patented technology from Qualcomm and as such, they charge for the licensing. A comparable fast-charging technology from Samsung is already in the S8 charger, it's just not QC3-compatible.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, there is: Royalties. QC3 is a patented technology from Qualcomm and as such, they charge for the licensing. A comparable fast-charging technology from Samsung is already in the S8 charger, it's just not QC3-compatible.

And does the Samsung tech charge as fast as QC3? Of course this forces us all to only buy Samsung accessories if we want the faster charging. No buying more affordable 3rd party chargers.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's their claim, yes. And to be fair, their phones are the most compatible out there (QC, Samsung's, Standard, Qi Wireless, Powermat Wireless). It's not their fault that Qualcomm doesn't want to budge on QC3 royalties.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
While the royalty may have played a role in the decision to not include new QC standards, I feel there's more going on than this.

Samsung is the sole fab for the 835 chipset for Qualcomm. Without Samsung Qualcomm would struggle to get a 10nm chip of this density out the door in any reasonable quantity with high yields. Samsung surely could have negotiated a better deal if it mattered that much to their engineers and marketing staff. Something​ tells me there's more to this than a royalty.

Ageeb

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I thought I read all 835's come with Qualcomm QC 4.0 embedded. Is Samsung shutting this down via firmware?

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
While the royalty may have played a role in the decision to not include new QC standards, I feel there's more going on than this.

Samsung is the sole fab for the 835 chipset for Qualcomm. Without Samsung Qualcomm would struggle to get a 10nm chip of this density out the door in any reasonable quantity with high yields. Samsung surely could have negotiated a better deal if it mattered that much to their engineers and marketing staff. Something​ tells me there's more to this than a royalty.

No it isn't the sole fab, many up coming phones will have 385's, incl sony, MS, and Xiaomi.

There could be a number of reasons, maybe the temp tolerances for 3.0 were too high? Maybe there wasn't enough 3rd party support (samsung certainly does not make their own chargers, they rebrand someone eleses. As it is the charger included with the s8 seems to be the exact same charger included with the s7 wireless docks) for enough supply. Maybe there isn't enough testing to make it worth jumping in to. Maybe the royalties vs speed increases were not worth it for the common person? 8 million statistical reasons and you are looking for a conspiracy?

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Quick Charge is only wired I think... There are fast charge wireless, but they only charge as fast as regular wired charger.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Quick Charge is only wired I think... There are fast charge wireless, but they only charge as fast as regular wired charger.

There is now an adaptive charge variant for wireless. It needs to be specifically supported, ie you can have phones that support quick charge 2.0, but can only be slow charged wireless. Samsung has been using the quick wireless charge since note 5 and s6 edge+.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay