S8+ Too Big / Long?

A

AC Question

I haven't seen too many people complaining about the size of the Plus.

I got mine on Wednesday and LOVE the phone, but I'm still unsure about the size. I think the S8 might feel better. I've got to Best Buy and played around with both, but after a couple days with the S8+ it just still feels long and awkward (and big in my front jean pocket). Anyone else?

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I actually have both s8's in hand. The regular definitely feels better in the hand to me. I also have an iphone 7 plus and the s8 plus feels definitely taller. I know not by much but it's noticeable in hand and more difficult to tap on the new home button than it is on the 7 plus. I'm leaning toward the regular s8 but not 100 percent positive yet.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I had the note 7 and v20 before this and the size of the plus doesn't bother me at all. It's actually slightly narrower than my v20, so it fits better in my pocket even with the iBlaison armor box case on.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
It's a tad taller than the iPhone 7 Plus... but with more screen and less bezel especially on top, it's even a bigger reach than iPhone to things at top of screen. It really is a two handed phone now and I see a post saying 'I love the FPS,' but I'm seeing most reviewers saying on the Plus the FPS is a pain and Droid Life both users say the FPS is worse than other phones either due to sensor size making accuracy worse because you need to cover the whole sensor to work or because reach is effecting how you put finger in sensor messing it up.

I prefer the width on the Plus... perfect for me like S7 Edge width. But I don't like phablet sized height and I the S8+ in definitely in that territory. I haven't decided if I want the width bad enough to live with the height.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
So someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the S8+ isn't "taller" than the S8 in terms of aspect ratio. It's larger in terms of surface area but the aspect ratio is still 18.5:9. So while I guess you could say it's taller, it's also wider.

And the wider bit is what might make it difficult to hold. I admit I do have a bit of trouble reaching the awkwardly placed fingerprint sensor, but generally I've found this phone no more difficult to hold than any of the previous Note phones I've owned. And I've owned every Note since the Note 2.

Ultimately it's a tradeoff between screen surface area and difficulty of grasp. Yes, it'll be harder to hold the S8+, but you also get more surface area for watching movies, surfing the web, or pretty much anything you do. All you have to do is figure out if that extra screen real estate is worth the occasionally cumbersome nature of manipulating your phone with one hand. I think you're doing the right thing by going into a store and trying out both models.

FWIW, I have the S8+ and I have absolutely no regrets! But then, I have fairly average sized hands, and I could see how someone with smaller hands would struggle with this phone.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen too many people complaining about the size of the Plus.

I got mine on Wednesday and LOVE the phone, but I'm still unsure about the size. I think the S8 might feel better. I've got to Best Buy and played around with both, but after a couple days with the S8+ it just still feels long and awkward (and big in my front jean pocket). Anyone else?

I had the S8+ and used it for a week. The shape was too akward for me. You have to admit, pulling down the notification bar was a pain. Thumbs could barely reach, had to shift my entire hand up, then back down again. Would've much rather have the regular S8 for this very reason. It's not much bigger than other phablets, just screen length is too long for thumbs to reach and display is too narrow to enjoy.

uncaged74

Jul 20, 2017
Visit site
I guess it depends on your hands. I have big hands and I love it. But didn't realize how big it is till I started holding my Samsung that work provides which I was given 2 years ago. Going from the S8+ to the standard size makes me appreciate my + even more not to mention the screen quality.

But again, if you have smaller hands like my fiance does, might want to go with just the S8 which is what she did.

rayden8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I had the S8+ and used it for a week. The shape was too akward for me. You have to admit, pulling down the notification bar was a pain. Thumbs could barely reach, had to shift my entire hand up, then back down again. Would've much rather have the regular S8 for this very reason. It's not much bigger than other phablets, just screen length is too long for thumbs to reach and display is too narrow to enjoy.

If you swipe the finger print sensor, it pulls down the notifications. It's an easier reach if you want a shortcut.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm debating picking one up and selling my S8 on swappa. Better battery life and size for typing would be nice. But the size for regular use on a daily basis is where I'm debating.

cmb713

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I switched to the Mi Mix. The phone is still relatively the same same size as the S8+ but I just like the bigger and wider screen.

TFBisquit

Apr 23, 2017
Visit site
I have the 8+ and the iPhone 6+.
They feel the same size, and they are actually very close in size.
Besides the usable screen surface ofcourse.
Get the s8 if you like to have it in your pocket and prefer to use it one handed. If you're more of a note user or prefer to use both hands in general, then get the s8+.
While my screen is taller, it's not wider. This extra length benefits browsers and scrolling apps.
I find the s8 isn't wide enough and has a small feeling to it.

In all fairness, it's the same debat iPhone users have with the regular and plus versions.
They either prefer the smaller phone, or the bigger one.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc